Home

Passing Accuracy

This is a discussion on Passing Accuracy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Passing Accuracy

As it is now, passing accuracy for all current football games seems to be a roll of the dice. Sure, its rating based, but is there that much difference between my starting QB and my backup? Both seem to be able to hit my WRs in stride on deep balls, outs, ins, flags, crosses, etc...

There is a disconnect between the user and the QB that makes it feel as if anyone can throw a 55 yard deep ball right on the money just by tapping the button.

Now, just got around to playing the demo of MLB2K12. Every throw from one of your fielders has an accuracy meter tied to it. Press the button to throw, release the button when in the "sweet spot" for an accurate throw to a base. The better the player and the easier the throw, seem to give the user a bigger "sweet spot".

Notice the green area on the meter. That's the "sweet spot". Red is a bad throw and yellow is OK.

Now, could this work for football. One could assume so. QBs with higher accuracy ratings would be given a bigger cushion for accurate passes. Could also make the meter dynamic by increasing or decreasing the "sweet spot" depending on certain variables. Pressure in the pocket, QB rolling out, windy, or even an existing injury could effect the meter negatively, Conversely, a hot streak(completing multiple passes in a row), time in the pocket, and the QB being able to step into a throw could increase the cushion.

Buttons would be used as they are now. Each corresponding with a certain receiver. Let's say you want to throw a 10 yard in to your TE. Press the button to start your arm going back and release the button when the meter is in the sweet spot. Miss the sweet spot, and the pass may sail or go behind your intended target. Hit the sweet spot and the throw is on target and now a completed pass depends on coverage and your TEs ability to catch.

But here's where this idea may run into trouble. Right now, the length we hold down the button determines what type of pass we throw. Lob or bullet. Thus, defeating the use of an accuracy meter. Only thing I could think of was mapping a trigger button(RT) to throw a bullet pass. Not sure I want to go that route though.

Just trying to get more user input with what happens on the field, instead of a roll of the dice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Passing Accuracy

pretty solid idea... i like it
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Rookie

drift7one's Arena

OVR: 2

it would definitely take some sort of remapping a control. only way I see it working would be to hold down the receiver icon button, and then when the meter reaches the green press a designated throwing button (which then depending on the duration held down would determine the pass type). the only downside would be how long that could take, depending on maybe how fast the meter moves (could player awareness effect that?).
but ultimately it would have to be an option to turn on/off.

I cant remember which game it was exactly, but there was an older football game where when passing, you actually controlled a crosshair with the right analog stick and had to move it around the field to pick a spot to throw the ball. so it required a lot more skill than just pressing a button for a specific receiver.

EDIT: it was NFL Fever 2004, "Read and Lead" feature

Last edited by drift7one; 04-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

i never played fever, but i like its concept the most. because user has to make a decision on where to place the ball then you have the talent aspect on top of that of whether the qb is talented enough to get the ball in that exact spot. the meter idea could work too, but definitely would like to see the rating of the player and skill of the user matter.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I like the premise of this idea and I think implementing it the way a basketball game handles jump shots is the best method to prevent on screen meters. In that basketball game, like in the baseball game, there are ratings for accuracy while the "sweet spot" of the release determines how close to that player's max accuracy or rating, the User has on any given shot. Now translate that over to football for targeting receivers, including having the signature throwing motions for each QB, varying their "sweet spot" like the basketball games does with signature shot motions.

This also is a good way to implement the same system basketball games use to allow defensive pressure, not just direct contact, to effect the accuracy of shots, into the passing game. That way less AWR/composed QBs can have their accuracy effected by defenders bearing down on them and collapsing the pocket, without them having to actually make contact, so defensive pressure matters, not just sacks.

Like others have alluded to, this would require them to map the lob/bullet pass mechanic away from the pass icon buttons. Considering I would like to see route based passing added and possibly mapped to the RT, I think the lob/bullet mechanic could be mapped to the left analog stick. Just like the hold time of the pass icon button currently determines lob or bullet, map that to the left stick so that that the longer/more forceful the left stick is pushed in a given the direction, the more force put behind the throw. For example, a lob over the left outside shoulder would simply be a tap of the left stick at the 10 o'clock position during a pass attempt and a bullet pass over that same shoulder would be keeping the left stick held at 10 o'clock during a pass attempt.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 04-13-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Yes Fevers Read and Lead "Throw Anywhere and not just push a button" was for me (and still is), the best passing system made. It just needed some tweaks to the speed of the cursor.
You could also hold LT or RT to throw it higher or lower etc..

Yet here in 2013 we still have the same old, outdated, boring, sleep inducing passing system.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

OVR: 3

all that would be nice and all, but the problem is ALL qbs are just way way too accurate.

If its a completed pass, its pretty much always on the money. Over/under throws are normally always just WAY off.

I dont care how they implement it, but most college qbs are inaccurate enough that the WRs are going to have to make at least small adjustments on most throws greater than 5-10 yds out. Of course for this to matter, they'll have to make momentum affect BOTH WRs and DBs, and would also need to make WRs more aggressive in going for the ball instead of what they have now.

If you played this game, youd get the feeling most passes in college hit the receivers in stride no matter how bad the qb or how deep the throw.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Wow I have no clue why i never thought of this before. Great simple idea that I would love to see in the game in the near future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »