Home

Stopping the Spread Option

This is a discussion on Stopping the Spread Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1
Stopping the Spread Option

With all of the new option formations/plays being added to NCAA, stopping the spread option may become as big of a problem on the game as it is in real life on Saturdays. Does anybody have any good defensive game plans for shutting down the fast-paced, spread option attack?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Stopping the Spread Option

There are a couple of principles that come into play with different variables not all option teams are the same. 1st thing I do is look at personnel. IMO most option QBs are average passers (there are some great ones but typically you want them to throw).

1) Stop the option run at all cost. Force this person to throw. Make them 1 dimensional. Even if they have some early success throwing getting them to abandon the run takes away the threat of the big plays on the ground and keeps them from being multiple. Everything starts with the run and from there into play actions and big passing plays with you on your heals. If they abandon the run early you can then start to throw in zone coverages that look like blitz to confuse the QB. Actually stopping the run there are plenty of ways you can try. I would send a lot of outside blitz. play with 1 high safety. Bring another safety into the box spy him. Pinch my dline and spread my LB. Pinch my LB and spread my Dline. Anything to try and confuse the other player. Also a key to stopping any offense is also understanding it's core principles as well. For example with your basic zone read you know the QB is reading the end on the side of the RB. So you could move your OLB outside of the read-side DE just to give the QB something extra to think about. Will he cut between the tackle or try to stretch around the OLB?

2) Adjusting to you opponent in game. This is likely the most important. You have to adapt to your opponent. For example, Is he selfish with the QB. Does he keep when he should give. Do he hold on instead of pitching the ball to try and get him going. Most users want their QB to be star so keep mental notes on how your opponent is handling his QB read/pitch relationship. Which leads to #3

3) Turnovers and 3rd and longs. This is always the goal every week but when facing an option team it's even more important. when playing an option team you should get a least 1 fumble. the option is high risk/ high reward. If you can get a feel for your opponent's style. You should be able to force turnovers and stop players for negative yards. Setting up your 3rd down defense.

4) expect big plays against you. Option teams will break big plays don't abandon your defense gameplay just because you get gashed. Stick to the plays you know will work against the option and force that person to exceute for 4 quarters. If you start trying new looks and throwing out any play to see what happens you more than likely will get crushed.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Those all seem like good strategies. One thing that has hurt me in the past when trying to run a spread option is when people use the nickel 1-5-5 because it makes the read very hard and less effective. I don't have much experience running the 1-5-5 however, so does anybody know a good gameplan for running the 1-5-5?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Run right at it. Dive, dive, dive, dive

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockOchoGOAT
Those all seem like good strategies. One thing that has hurt me in the past when trying to run a spread option is when people use the nickel 1-5-5 because it makes the read very hard and less effective. I don't have much experience running the 1-5-5 however, so does anybody know a good gameplan for running the 1-5-5?
If the blocking is fixed this year as it claims. The 1-5-5 will get killed. Ppl ran
1-5-5 with insane success against all offense. (so much so that some leagues banned it use). This is because OLman use to stop at the line of scrimmage (the great sea),turn around and just look at ppl. Allowing LBs to run freely to the ball carrier. If Lineman truly seek to get to the second level. Those LBs will be swallowed up 2-3 yards off the ball. You can mix it in. But if OL play in fixed the 1-5-5 shouldn't be anyone's bread and butter anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I assume this is in reference to playing agaisnt human competition?

Against the CPU, I basically just put my controller down and watch my CPU teammates swarm to the ball at lightning speed and stuff the CPU for a 4 yard loss.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

How 'bout we just wait and see if the spread option is actually viable this year before we go and get ahead of ourselves?

The previews so far have all said that OL targeting has been improved but blocking is still largely win/lose patty-caking. I'm skeptical that the run game will be dramatically improved until the entire blocking system is rebuilt from scratch. So, next gen.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
How 'bout we just wait and see if the spread option is actually viable this year before we go and get ahead of ourselves?

The previews so far have all said that OL targeting has been improved but blocking is still largely win/lose patty-caking. I'm skeptical that the run game will be dramatically improved until the entire blocking system is rebuilt from scratch. So, next gen.
How about we stick to the tread topic and not be Debbie downers? There are plenty of threads to discuss impressions. This thread is one is clearly title how to stop the option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »