Home

Zone blitz and 5-2 defense

This is a discussion on Zone blitz and 5-2 defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Zone blitz and 5-2 defense

When should and what downs should I utilize a zone blitz? It doesn't seem very effective to me. Also when and what downs should I utilize the 5-2 defense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Zone blitz and 5-2 defense

In regards to zone blitzing, there are 2 large issues with it that can prevent it from being fully effective. First the Defensive End position is basically useless and has trouble generating consistent pressure. No matter how dominate of a DE you have they will not effectively get pressure. This tends to neutralize some of those zone blitzes because it is so easy to neutralize these ends. Secondly, zone coverage is weak at times in the game especially if you include the safety glitch.
When you combine the 2 factors it creates a nightmare for trying to effectively zone blitz on consistent basis.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Against the CPU or a semi alive user...never use it.

Against a user with no skills at all...mix it in just for fun. Zone anything will get you killed in this game.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Pro

RonNewman75's Arena

OVR: 0

You guys are crazy you can run zone and the 5-2 in this. You just have to learn how to run it. I run zone blitz's all the time and before my online went down (dog chewed the wireless box) I was 10-0 and as vs the CPU you can run anything against them and kill them as long as you have the personal.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNewman75
You guys are crazy you can run zone and the 5-2 in this. You just have to learn how to run it. I run zone blitz's all the time and before my online went down (dog chewed the wireless box) I was 10-0 and as vs the CPU you can run anything against them and kill them as long as you have the personal.
So why don't you tell us?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I also call more zone plays than I do man and I've had tremendous success in '13. Here's my record so far in my OD to show the kind of success I've had (the top half is total record and the bottom half is the records in USER v. USER games):

I run CPB for the 3-4 as well as all nickle/dime/quarter formations. I run more zone than I do man and when I blitz, I run a lot more zone blitzes than I do man blitzes. By far most of my INTs come from zones (although most of my sacks come from man blitzes).

Against teams that run a lot of curls, cover 2 sink in pretty much any formation is great. Against scrambling QBs, there are quite a few cover 2 sink spy plays.

To stop the outside runs by far my best plays are zones where I've got a couple of flat zones. With those guys (usually CBs) out there in the flats, the runner either runs into him to get tackled or has to turn it back up inside into the meat of my defense. Also, any time a team comes out in an unbalanced formation with all of the WRs on 1 side, I always keep a CB on the empty side (Y + RS ->) so that if they try to run to the emptied side, I have an unblocked CB waiting to make the tackle. Obviously cover 2s are great for having these flats covered, but cover 3s do too. Also, there are tons of zone blitzes that cover the flats and these are some of my best run stopping plays.

Against 3rd and long, and 4 wide my go to is dollar cover 4. This formation covers so much area that it's very difficult to find an open spot. Another great play is the dime 2-3-6 formation (I always
package sub in the DL rush package so it's really another 3-2-6) cover 3 CB man play.

This is a rolled cover 3 with a buzz on 1 side and a flat on the other (but on 3rd and long I always hotroute the flat to another buzz). The thing that makes it unique is that 1 of the CBs (the one on the buzz zone side) plays man against his WR. This can really throw users off as they don't expect to see a combo coverage like that (to my knowledge, this is the only one in the game).

Another of my favorite zones is the 3-4 over ED's cover 3.

This is unique in the game as it's not your typical cover 3 shell with 2 hook zones and 2 flat zones. Instead it's a cover 3 with 2 hooks and 2 buzz zones. For 3rd and medium - long this covers tons of ground. In addition to this, the 2 interior linemen (which is really a DT and a DE) both do stunts which can provide some nice pressure.

The 3-4 has tons of great zone blitzes, all of which can be effective. Here are some (but certainly not all) of my favorites:

These are easily my favorite run defenses:

These are probably my favorite medium range pass zone blitzes:

Some of my favorite nickle/dime zone blitzes:
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 05-14-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

Those are all easy to beat if the user has a football mind and adjusts. If he wants to run slants and curls all game then your game plan can work. To each their own.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyed
Those are all easy to beat if the user has a football mind and adjusts. If he wants to run slants and curls all game then your game plan can work. To each their own.
The guys I play do a good job of mixing things up on offense but I do a good job of mixing things up on defense too. Any defense can be beaten if you call the same plays all the time which is why you need to mix things up.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »