Home

I miss the 'Highlight Stick'

This is a discussion on I miss the 'Highlight Stick' within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Post I miss the 'Highlight Stick'

Been playing NCAA 08 for ps3 the last few weeks and man.. the highlight stick is really fun to use. For those not familiar.. you flick the right analog stick up when about to collide with a defender and you player tries to evade the defender or truck him (ratings decide the outcome). You have to time it just right and be facing straight towards the defender and if you don't time it right or your players ratings are poor and you get tackled you have a much higher chance of fumbling. I think back to when I played NCAA13 or even Madden13 and running the ball.. you can only spin or juke away from defenders and its the same animation every time. But with the highlight stick you will see some unbelievable evade moves and trucks if you are using an elite player.

Heres a quick little video to showcase the highlight stick on a punt return I had.. I used the highlight stick 3 times during the punt return to evade defenders (including the hurdle over the punter):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftqyRcn109Y

I feel like you just don't see these kind of exciting runs/returns with the current running system. Evasions/Trucking and break tackle animations are slow and your best way to score is to pretty much avoid getting into any animations (which leaves power backs with hardly any use). I don't think it should be that way.

Another thing for thought.. the CPU uses the highlight stick to evade/truck defenders a lot as well. This improves the CPU runningbacks AI tremendously because when hes about to collide with a player he actually tries to evade/truck him instead of just running into him. Lets face it.. a human player will always be able to use the jukes and spins more effectively then the CPU.. but with the highlight stick its like both User and CPU are on equal ground.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: I miss the 'Highlight Stick'

#97 white jersey lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
#97 white jersey lol.
lol
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0

I also miss the highlight stick.. I feel like I am playing NCAA 04 in regards to high light stick control. The trucks never work, jukes are getting a little better, and like you said, powerbacks are pretty much useless. As other people have mentioned before, pretty much the only rating that matters in these games anymore is speed.

It looks like the highlight stick might come back a little bit this year, judging by the new running gameplay stuff, so maybe we will see some use for the powerbacks this year. Hopefully.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

I do not miss the highlight stick but I miss the commentary and crowd being that exciting.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I like the current setup better. You can still do all of those things (juke left, right, truck, spin, hurdle, stiff arm) but you have to actually use the correct button instead of just brainlessly using 1 button and letting the CPU decide what's best for you. Now you need to know your team. Trying to juke with that power back or QB with 60 JKM? Good luck with that. Trying to truck with that speed back and his 50 TRK? Ain't gonna work. However, if you try to juke with that 95 JKM HB and you're gonna make that defender look stupid. Truck with that 99 TRK power back and you're just gonna run over defenders.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Gator Bait

Swamp Swagger's Arena

OVR: 9
I miss Trucking with Tebow lol. It was crazy powerful that year....
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
I do not miss the highlight stick but I miss the commentary and crowd being that exciting.
that's not the real commentary and crowd lol I edited it with the audio from devin hesters punt return vs duke

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »