Home

NCAA Football 14 - A Deeper Look at Power Recruiting

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 - A Deeper Look at Power Recruiting within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NCAA Football 14 - A Deeper Look at Power Recruiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Thought that was really interesting. The whole system seems really well done, if it works as advertised.
It is interesting. Interested to see how that will work if you have a need for multiple receivers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
It is interesting. Interested to see how that will work if you have a need for multiple receivers.
Honestly is shouldn't be a problem unless you fail to plan. With the current rosters size I normally am planning on signing 1-2 WR / year (I usually rotate years 1/2/1/2, but Sometimes 2/2/2 if I'm early in a rebuild and need to redshirt a lot). Even in years I plan on signing 2 I rarely get 4 to visits. Even at 4 - I need to plan ahead and spread them over 2 whole weeks.

I just don't see the problem.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Scheduling a visit late shouldn't be 700 points more of a bonus than scheduling early. Kid I coached originally committed to Auburn which was one of his first visits because once he went there, he liked the school, felt comfortable around the coaches/players and decided he didn't want to visit some of the other schools he originally planned to. Each kid is different, sometimes being first is more of an advantage because you can convince a kid to commit before others get a hold of him. That's why I have a problem with the amount of importance and bonus they give for having a recruit come late. After reading the WVU article where the people from WVU told Ben having a late visit can leave a lasting appeal, they just said, "ok so late visits are better and will get a bigger bonus." So because 1 school said it was better than an early visit, they went with it.
And? What does that prove? It is possible to get a commit in the game before the later visits, and there are other ways to get big bonuses. The devs have specifically said that this is why scheduling later is a risk. And what if this Auburn kid took all those other visits? Maybe visiting them would have changed his mind. Your example actually validates the system in the game.

And to the other poster, there are no offseason visits, so this is obviously the compromise.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3
I can see so much strategy involved with all of these recruiting and coach skill additions. Regarding the competitive visits, coaches have to deal with this all the time. I have no problem with it. I think we will have an even better idea of what these coaches have to go through everyday recruiting-wise. I can't wait to dive in.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #29
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
And what if this Auburn kid took all those other visits? Maybe visiting them would have changed his mind. Your example actually validates the system in the game.

And to the other poster, there are no offseason visits, so this is obviously the compromise.
He did go on other visits after Auburn it's just that Auburn is where he felt comfortable because of the coaches there. Irony here is after he chose to de-commit he visited FSU first, then Florida and finally LSU. He wanted to commit to Florida. The night before National Signing day he was in my office at work, my boss (who also coached with me) helped him with tuition in high school and has been helping his family so he's like a father figure and the 3 of us along with his father & grandfather sat in our conference room on a conference call with Les Miles. We all were trying to convince him to go to LSU while the kid (i'll leave his name out of it) was dead set on Florida. It was pretty cool to hear Les make his final pitch the night before signing day.

But 5 mins before he signed, the kid was still set on going to Florida and when it came time to actually sign, all of the stuff we had been telling him must have clicked because he ended up picking LSU.

But for him it didn't matter what visit he went on first or last. When that right school comes along where the kid feels comfortable, they get their heart set on that place. Whether it's the school, the stadium, the coaches or whatever, once they find that one place that fits, that's where they want to go. Once that right school makes an impression, that impression stays. The schools that come after have to surpass his current happiness with the school he's set on at the time.

In my experience coaching, all of the kids that i've coached that have gone on to play college football whether it was Theo Riddick going to Notre Dame or a kid going to play 1aa ball somewhere, the time at which they had their visit didn't have much impact. It was more where they felt comfortable, where they would have the best chance to succeed, and what those closest to them were putting in their ear.

That's why i'm saying having a recruit come in later in the year for a visit shouldn't be THAT much of a boost over if he visited earlier. A 700-800 point boost is a lot. That's all i'm saying, just seems like they're placing too more importance/reward on certain things.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 05-31-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
I would rather the compromise not diminish the realism of the regular season recruiting. And aren't there in-home visits in the off-season? Well, in past NCAAs. I guess they took in-home visits out to make room for the "updated" recruiting.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
He did go on other visits after Auburn it's just that Auburn is where he felt comfortable because of the coaches there. Irony here is after he chose to de-commit he visited FSU first, then Florida and finally LSU. He wanted to commit to Florida. The night before National Signing day he was in my office at work, my boss (who also coached with me) helped him with tuition in high school and has been helping his family so he's like a father figure and the 3 of us along with his father & grandfather sat in our conference room on a conference call with Les Miles. We all were trying to convince him to go to LSU while the kid (i'll leave his name out of it) was dead set on Florida. It was pretty cool to hear Les make his final pitch the night before signing day.

But 5 mins before he signed, the kid was still set on going to Florida and when it came time to actually sign, all of the stuff we had been telling him must have clicked because he ended up picking LSU.

But for him it didn't matter what visit he went on first or last. When that right school comes along where the kid feels comfortable, they get their heart set on that place. Whether it's the school, the stadium, the coaches or whatever, once they find that one place that fits, that's where they want to go. Once that right school makes an impression, that impression stays. The schools that come after have to surpass his current happiness with the school he's set on at the time.

In my experience coaching, all of the kids that i've coached that have gone on to play college football whether it was Theo Riddick going to Notre Dame or a kid going to play 1aa ball somewhere, the time at which they had their visit didn't have much impact. It was more where they felt comfortable, where they would have the best chance to succeed, and what those closest to them were putting in their ear.

That's why i'm saying having a recruit come in later in the year for a visit shouldn't be THAT much of a boost over if he visited earlier. A 700-800 point boost is a lot. That's all i'm saying, just seems like they're placing too more importance/reward on certain things.
All of this is valid, but how would one code in a game all the things you described? Heck I want as much realism as possible too but this new system is a start & as long as they continue to add & balance all of this while adding depth & some surprise, I think we will get the game we all want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #32
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamanutt
All of this is valid, but how would one code in a game all the things you described? Heck I want as much realism as possible too but this new system is a start & as long as they continue to add & balance all of this while adding depth & some surprise, I think we will get the game we all want.
all i'm saying is I think they're putting too much emphasis/bonus on being the last visit. I don't not like the recruiting and recruiting is a tough thing to get accurate because there is so much human element that goes into recruiting in real life. I don't have an issue with what they did to recruiting as a whole, I actually didn't mind it the way it was but I don't have a major issue with them wanting to change it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »