Home

NCAA Football 14 Interview with Producer, Ben Haumiller (XXL)

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Interview with Producer, Ben Haumiller (XXL) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
NCAA Football 14 Interview with Producer, Ben Haumiller (XXL)

XXL has posted an interview with NCAA Football 14 Producer, Ben Haumiller.

Quote:
What kind of changes was made to improve the running game?

BH: As mentioned before, the Infinity Engine 2 goes a long way to improving realism and eliminating legacy issues like the swerve. We’ve also added a ball carrier avoidance animation which will let running backs and scrambling QBs avoid offensive linemen who are engaged in blocks. Since you don’t have to worry about tripping over your own man you can focus more on finding the hole and shedding defenders. The addition of the Infinity Engine 2 and the Force Impact system were huge upgrades for the running game, but those improvements would have fallen flat if there were not also big upgrades made to run blocking. A new targeting system has been implemented which will prevent guys from peeling off at the last second to go after a linebacker that has no impact on the play rather than blocking the safety that’s closing in on the ballcarrier. Additionally each running play has had their blocking assignments updated vs. each front so that the linemen are targeting the correct players at the snap.

There have been improvements made to the CPU ballcarriers as well so that they are more intelligent in their actions. In the past it was not difficult to shut down the CPU’s running game, but this year be prepared to give up some yards if you are not focused on shutting down their attack.

My favorite improvement for the running game though is the upgrades to the option game. Not only did the blocking overhaul help tremendously with running the option, but the entire option system has been overhauled and is an absolute blast to run. There are over 30 new option types including midline options and the shovel option. If you are a fan of Oregon’s up tempo spread option attack or if you want to go old school with an old Wishbone attack the option is where it’s at in this year’s game.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: XXL Interview with Ben Haumiller on NCAA 14

Shouldn't it be XXXXXL Interview with Ben Haumiller?

My bad.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Am I being an idiot or are these links exactly the same?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
The one has an /2/ at the end.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
The one with /2/ is just the second page of the interview
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Ah I see on my cell the m. extension was consolidating everything to one page.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
There have been improvements made to the CPU ballcarriers as well so that they are more intelligent in their actions. In the past it was not difficult to shut down the CPU’s running game, but this year be prepared to give up some yards if you are not focused on shutting down their attack.
Quote:
There have been a number of changes made to defenders from adjustments in coverage, to better pursuit angles, to adjustments in ratings that will help defenders cover better in NCAA 14.
These two are what really matter to me from that article. I can deal with a lot of the other issues pretty well, but I really hope that these areas are finally on point.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Traditionally, people have shied away from using power backs in NCAA Football as it always seemed to be more advantageous to use a speed back. Will the Force Impact System make using a bruising runner a more fruitful experience?

All I ask is that when you get the game in your hands, find a big back, call a stretch play from I-Form, watch the fullback blow up the linebacker on the lead block and then get into the open field where there’s just a safety by himself. As you are coming up to him either give him the stiff arm or truck him. There are few things in the game more rewarding then watching what happens to that safety when you successfully stiff arm them into the ground or decleat them on a truck stick. On the other hand though, with the new Acceleration Burst mechanic it’s also a lot of fun to take a little back, find that crease and explode through the hole for a big gain too.
Sounds like the only difference between a power back and a scat back is those (mostly unrealistic) decleating trucks. Sad that this is their idea of power running.

Last edited by DorianDonP; 06-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »