Home

Recruiting for the Flexbone

This is a discussion on Recruiting for the Flexbone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Recruiting for the Flexbone

Great thread.

Would ppl consider it cheese to primarly recruit Athletic TEs with around 85+ speed and change their position to WR to use in this offense?
for their blocking on CBs

One of my favorite parts about NCAA is the diversity in the generated players and moving guys around on the roster to build unique teams and play styles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Great thread.

Would ppl consider it cheese to primarly recruit Athletic TEs with around 85+ speed and change their position to WR to use in this offense?
for their blocking on CBs

One of my favorite parts about NCAA is the diversity in the generated players and moving guys around on the roster to build unique teams and play styles.
In my opinion no. It's football. if they can't adjust then they shouldn't be playing. He will still be doing the things at that position that he would at TE the only thing different is that he gets to block a DB all day. Remember that you're giving up "elite" speed for execution of the run game. That's the drawback. If they recognize that then they should make adjustments. There's not too many that they can make fortunately for us anyway.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Rookie

tigerfan2's Arena

I will agree with everyone else. The best way to get blocking WR is to get a receiving TE and move him out.

I also like to have one legit WR as a deep threat.

I will put my quickest biggest guy at B-back, either a RB or FB.

I also like to move my speedy quick receiver to one of my wingback positions.

As far as qb goes, I want at least a 75 speed guy with a decent arm.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
For the most part, get a power Halfback to play B-Back. Regular fullbacks generally wont work.

At A-Back (HB) you want speed guys with good acceleration and decent blocking if possible.

TE doesn't really do much except the occasional pass play. Go with a good blocker.

Good blocking WR's are the best thing you can get.

QB's with good accuracy and acceleration are the best.
What he said ^^^

I look for a Ron Dayne (power HB) to put at the FB spot so you still have big-play potential. This is the position that will win awards, not the "sexy" or "flashy" speed guys at wing back.

I like putting smaller scat backs or even slot receiver types at the wings.

Also, don't be afraid to be bold and put a HB/WR at QB. If you don't plan to pass the ball much then go all in on the run and put your most explosive guys in positions to score points (assuming you are playing the games).

Blocking receivers are a must, and the bigger the better as that typically means they can box out a defender. You don't need guys who can run vertical routes, just guys who can make a catch. YAC isn't a big stat to worry about in that type of offense.

Last edited by jmik58; 06-27-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 5

I am on the fence with what offense to run with this year as I start out. I was planning on running a very run heavy spread option with a strong focus on read options and the various option plays with 2 potential runners involved such as the triple options, qb slot options, shovel options with a very limited set of pass plays & formations. I wanted to do this to help spread the load and avoid fatigue - and it is just so much fun. The more I play though the more I am leaning towards going all in and running a flexbone - but I have quite a few questions about it.
- Which is easier to get started with considering i'm starting with a horrid 1* team (GA State)
- Which will the CPU do a better job running on simmed games? I play all home games and sim all away games (keeps me honest and a balanced team - and allows me to get deeper into dynasty before I burn out).
- Any good resources or reading on flexbone systems?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo
I am on the fence with what offense to run with this year as I start out. I was planning on running a very run heavy spread option with a strong focus on read options and the various option plays with 2 potential runners involved such as the triple options, qb slot options, shovel options with a very limited set of pass plays & formations. I wanted to do this to help spread the load and avoid fatigue - and it is just so much fun. The more I play though the more I am leaning towards going all in and running a flexbone - but I have quite a few questions about it.
- Which is easier to get started with considering i'm starting with a horrid 1* team (GA State)
- Which will the CPU do a better job running on simmed games? I play all home games and sim all away games (keeps me honest and a balanced team - and allows me to get deeper into dynasty before I burn out).
- Any good resources or reading on flexbone systems?

Thanks.
tripleoptionfootball.com and flexboneassociation.com. They are the same group of guys but the former has tons of information as far as play mechanics and they even have a quiz on playcalling in one of their posts. You should also take a look here footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/flexbone-and-b-back-running-game.html and at his version of Paul Johnson's If Then System here footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/paul-johnsons-if-then-methodology-to.html. He also has other good info in his blog. Remember it is a video game first so some of these actual If-Then principles won't apply but if you guys are still here after the game launches I'll create and update an If-Then system for you guys
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

Warning. Once you start understanding this system and become able to run it you will never use any other form of offense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackarelli
tripleoptionfootball.com and flexboneassociation.com. They are the same group of guys but the former has tons of information as far as play mechanics and they even have a quiz on playcalling in one of their posts. You should also take a look here footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/flexbone-and-b-back-running-game.html and at his version of Paul Johnson's If Then System here footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/paul-johnsons-if-then-methodology-to.html. He also has other good info in his blog. Remember it is a video game first so some of these actual If-Then principles won't apply but if you guys are still here after the game launches I'll create and update an If-Then system for you guys
awesome - thanks. I love homework assignments for video games...for some reason my wife doesn't get it though...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »