Home

Recruiting for the Flexbone

This is a discussion on Recruiting for the Flexbone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #41
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Recruiting for the Flexbone

and GT does it with sub par talent. If they had players like Oregon imagine the points they'd put up! The only thing wrong with Johnson's offense is that they don't have one of the better defenses in the nation. The day that they get a solid defense watch out because they may just play for a National Title
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 14

Def goin' try an entire season primarily running this offense!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #43
Rookie

catch212's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR3AMnCR1MS0N
hey jello, I know it's off topic, but did you go to MSU for "academic reasons"
You're 15 years old and you're trying to talk down to somebody with a college degree? Call me when you get a degree from any post-secondary institution. Maybe then you'll be able to talk academics.

Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole, but that always bugs me.

Last edited by catch212; 06-30-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
Quick as lightning

TexanCam's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR3AMnCR1MS0N
hey jello, I know it's off topic, but did you go to MSU for "academic reasons"
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
You sure didn't go to Indiana for "football reasons"

I had to say
I about spit my drink out at this one

On topic though. The flexbone I kind of look at as another installation of the spread option playbook. I personally like to pick the sets of flexbone and wingbone that are more spread out. Recruit athletes for the offense more than big bodies who can block at WR. Just a personal preference, but it can be just as fun as any air raid or spread attack. Especially combined with the option-run look as it's base, deadly.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #45
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

The flexbone was THE spread option playbook before the common era spread was used. Each one has its advantages and flaws. I think the flexbone is superior because It possesses a personnel mismatch on every single play. If you play linebackers on the slots they will out run them. If you put pencil necks (DB's) in the box they won't be as good at tackling ball carriers who are used to carrying the ball vs those who are sometimes (WR/TE's) used to carrying the ball. At the snap you don't know if you're defending 4 receiving threats (2WR and 2Slotbacks) or going to deal with a run to either side. The formations in this offense also uses their base formation against them. There is nothing done in this offense without a purpose or a reason behind it. There aren't any plays called because they may work, they are called because they should work and lead to a score if everyone does their job. Most people look at this offense as a gimmick and use it sparingly in their playbooks to surprise an opponent. This is how most offenses work! They try to surprise defenses with their playcalling. The only way to get the most out of the flexbone is to run the flexbone as an offense and not a gimmick. Any advice I give is for those who want to run this as your scheme; not a surprise. Your personnel will be different because you have to think outside of the box. Speed doesn't always kill, intelligence does. Remember the idea is to select players that will best EXECUTE the offense so that WHEN YOU DO call a play it SHOULD go for a touchdown and WILL if everybody does their job.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackarelli
The flexbone was THE spread option playbook before the common era spread was used. Each one has its advantages and flaws. I think the flexbone is superior because It possesses a personnel mismatch on every single play. If you play linebackers on the slots they will out run them. If you put pencil necks (DB's) in the box they won't be as good at tackling ball carriers who are used to carrying the ball vs those who are sometimes (WR/TE's) used to carrying the ball. At the snap you don't know if you're defending 4 receiving threats (2WR and 2Slotbacks) or going to deal with a run to either side. The formations in this offense also uses their base formation against them. There is nothing done in this offense without a purpose or a reason behind it. There aren't any plays called because they may work, they are called because they should work and lead to a score if everyone does their job. Most people look at this offense as a gimmick and use it sparingly in their playbooks to surprise an opponent. This is how most offenses work! They try to surprise defenses with their playcalling. The only way to get the most out of the flexbone is to run the flexbone as an offense and not a gimmick. Any advice I give is for those who want to run this as your scheme; not a surprise. Your personnel will be different because you have to think outside of the box. Speed doesn't always kill, intelligence does. Remember the idea is to select players that will best EXECUTE the offense so that WHEN YOU DO call a play it SHOULD go for a touchdown and WILL if everybody does their job.
What is your thought on mixing flexbone with some of the 2 back shotgun options? I like the triple options out of this set as well as the shovel options. I am thinking of a few formations of this with ~75% flexbone for my offense.

Timeetyo's NCAA 14 Relegation & Violations System: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-system.html
Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo
What is your thought on mixing flexbone with some of the 2 back shotgun options? I like the triple options out of this set as well as the shovel options. I am thinking of a few formations of this with ~75% flexbone for my offense.
I have a pistol formation in my playbook with run and shoot passing concepts. Around the time 13 came out I had the same mindset. I rarely if ever use that formation. It's not because the formation is bad or because I'm similar to an "Ol' ball coach" who won't get away from his power run game even though they somehow sneaked 12 men in the box (I said 12 to over emphasize for those who want to tell me that there are only 11 on defense at a time). I wounded up not using it because I had no purpose or reason for doing so. If you can find a reason why it is best to go into a shotgun set by all means do it; if and only if it is done because it gives you an advantage, not because it might catch the opponent off guard. While using a play that MIGHT work, you could have been figuring out why his defense is giving your offense problems so that you can call a play that SHOULD work.

Last edited by Slackarelli; 07-03-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #48
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

Ok update for recruiting for the flexbone. The physics engine makes recruiting a little different than I stated earlier.

FB (B-Back)- strength is very important in his ability to fall forward. Recruit power backs. Strength, BCV,Elu, and Carrying are the main attributes to look for in this player. Remember to redshirt him so that his awareness gets as high as possible.

HB (A-Back) - I would still recommend that you look for more of a receiving back than a ball carrier. recruiting ATHs still works best here. Recruit for Speed first. If you run this offense right they will rarely carry the ball, but when they do you will need them to fly. Recruit for players like D'Anthony Thomas (Ore HB#6). He is a PERFECT A-Back!!!

QB - It depends on what type of flexbone offense you plan on running. I still recommend finding an ATH at this position. As tempting as recruiting a "scrambling" QB is, remember that the two main ball carriers in this offense are the B-Back and the QB. A player who is a QB first will never develop into the runner you truly need him to be. Go with the ATH.

WR- I would still recommend using TE for two purposes. 1) They are way better blockers. This will seriously open up the run game and will make the play action game open up. 2) Their strength will give DB's problems when they try to tackle them. Which makes it a mismatch in 2 ways.

If you really value speed go with Pure WR's. There nothing wrong with it. You could always just recruit Receiving TE's and put them in as substitutes for certain formations. Doing it that way will kind of give you the best of both worlds.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask I'll try to reply as soon as possible. Good luck recruiting!

Last edited by Slackarelli; 07-09-2013 at 01:01 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »