Home

Recruiting for the Flexbone

This is a discussion on Recruiting for the Flexbone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #49
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10
As far as carry distribution you say that the b back should get the bulk of the carries, but how do you go about that? It seems like when I try to run it, my a backs get the most carries. Do you essentially run the triple option every play?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #50
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Recruiting for the Flexbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999
As far as carry distribution you say that the b back should get the bulk of the carries, but how do you go about that? It seems like when I try to run it, my a backs get the most carries. Do you essentially run the triple option every play?

Thanks.

When I use Navy, I run some variation of the Triple Option 85% of the time. I don't have the talent to do anything else. And he is correct, my B gets more carries than any rusher, then my QB. A's are your 'big play' guys. If defenses key on your B and your QB, they are asking to give up huge chunks of yards.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #51
We had subs. It was crazy

MBFranchise's Arena

OVR: 9

Here's a write up I did for my dynasty. I don't have NCAA14 yet but I would guess most of the same principles apply. This echoes most of the what the other guys were saying. I like to have a heady QB, one true WR (I call X), one TE/WR hybrid (I call Y), a strong B-Back, and quick A-Backs (I call one A and one Z). As with any offense, some of the terminology or position names may be different.

COACH’S CLINIC

Offensive Philosophy: The Flexbone wants to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically. The offense attacks the defense horizontally by having multiple ball carriers threaten the various zones of the defense (the famous “phases” of the option). The offense attacks the defense vertically by threatening the line of scrimmage with four vertical threats, the X, Y, A and Z. Our Y and Z are both hybrid positions that allow us to line up in any of our formations with the same personnel on the field. That way, the defense can never guess our formation or playcalling intentions based off of our huddle. Many people characterize this as a “running” or “triple option” offense, and while those are important parts of our offense, they are not the only parts. The Flexbone is a derivative of the Run-And-Shoot, and many of the passing concepts remain. We are not afraid to put the ball in the air. That being said, we won’t pass if we don’t have to.

Q (Quarterback): You would think the first thing we look for in a quarterback would be speed, but it isn’t. The most important trait a Mechanicsburg quarterback can have is decision-making. Our offense runs at its best when our quarterback makes good decisions. The next question to be asked is can the quarterback move when he has to? He doesn’t need to be a speed merchant, but he needs to make the defense pay if he is ignored. Size wise, the quarterback does a good amount of inside running, so we want him to be big enough to be able to absorb a few hits. That being said, the quarterback that can make a quick decision and get vertical up field is exactly the type of guy we are looking for.

X (Wide Receiver, Split End): The X is the closest thing we have to a true wide receiver in our offense. He is split out wide on the line of scrimmage in all of our formations, and he fulfills the role of a prototypical wide receiver. We want the X to be able to run routes and catch the football. Ideally, we look for large, possession type receivers that are also willing to block downfield. He also runs most of our downfield routes. For our deep passes, the element of surprise plays a large role.

Y (Wide Receiver, Split End, Tight End): The Y is the first of our hybrid positions. The Y is responsible for both lining up wide as a split end and also being attached to the formation as a tight end. Because of this, we look for a very specific type of athlete to play the Y. He needs to be big, but he also needs to be able to run routes against the opponent’s secondary. It also allows us to get a big body out in space to act as a lead blocker on our outside running plays.

A (A-Back, Slot Back, Wing Back, Running Back): Our A-Back is most like a Tailback in traditional offenses. On most of our option plays the A-Back will be the pitch man, so speed is the desired trait here. Size is not a necessity, as most of the A-Back’s running will be to the outside. The A-Back will also run routes, so being able to catch the football is a plus. He doesn’t have to be six feet tall or weigh two hundred pounds, but speed and acceleration are key.

B (B-Back, Fullback): The B-Back is the bruiser in our offense. A majority of his runs are going to be quick-hitting dive plays that try to catch the defense on the wrong foot. Running between the tackles is the primary trait of the B-Back, and any additional speed to break long runs is a bonus. The B-Back rarely goes out for passes and is more likely to stay in for pass protection. That being said, in most Flexbone offenses the B-Back is actually the feature back and receives the most amount of carries.

Z (A-Back, Slot Back, Slot Receiver, Wing Back, Super Back, Running Back): The Z-Back is the second of our hybrid positions. The prototypical Z-Back combines the traits of a good A-Back and Slot Receiver. This guy is the “slot ninja” in our offense. Speed and acceleration are valued over size and strength. In some formations he will line up like a wing and receive option pitches. Sometimes the Z will line up out farther as a flanker in the slot. Here the Z will run deep routes to make the defense cover the entire field. The Z-Back should be your player that is most dangerous with the ball in his hands, and moving him around lets you emphasize those talents.

Offensive Line: What we look for in offensive linemen, no surprise, is speed and athleticism. Since we veer the end man on the line of scrimmage, it is more important for our linemen to be able to get to the second or third level rather than be a road grader. Obviously we look at run blocking over pass blocking, and we are able to recruit smaller and quicker linemen that other schools may have overlooked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #52
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
When I use Navy, I run some variation of the Triple Option 85% of the time. I don't have the talent to do anything else. And he is correct, my B gets more carries than any rusher, then my QB. A's are your 'big play' guys. If defenses key on your B and your QB, they are asking to give up huge chunks of yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT999

Thanks.

What he said is correct. The idea is to run triple until they do something to stop it. Once they do that's when they start to give up big plays. We want them to stop the triple option. Tazz used to say "Beat me if you can. Survive if I let you! With the flexbone it's more like, "Stop the triple if you can, Survive if I let you" The triple often becomes my least called play some games because they sell out to stop it. If you allow me to run triple all day with no problems you will lose. This offense is very very dangerous when ran correctly because either way you're screwed. It takes good players to beat this offense (that and bad reads). If you can't block the line then you will lose. But on the other hand, who has a line that is that dominant? Nobody! The only thing you need with this offense is being very good with your defense. If you can do that game over.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #53
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFranchise
Here's a write up I did for my dynasty. I don't have NCAA14 yet but I would guess most of the same principles apply. This echoes most of the what the other guys were saying. I like to have a heady QB, one true WR (I call X), one TE/WR hybrid (I call Y), a strong B-Back, and quick A-Backs (I call one A and one Z). As with any offense, some of the terminology or position names may be different.

COACH’S CLINIC

Offensive Philosophy: The Flexbone wants to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically. The offense attacks the defense horizontally by having multiple ball carriers threaten the various zones of the defense (the famous “phases” of the option). The offense attacks the defense vertically by threatening the line of scrimmage with four vertical threats, the X, Y, A and Z. Our Y and Z are both hybrid positions that allow us to line up in any of our formations with the same personnel on the field. That way, the defense can never guess our formation or playcalling intentions based off of our huddle. Many people characterize this as a “running” or “triple option” offense, and while those are important parts of our offense, they are not the only parts. The Flexbone is a derivative of the Run-And-Shoot, and many of the passing concepts remain. We are not afraid to put the ball in the air. That being said, we won’t pass if we don’t have to.

Q (Quarterback): You would think the first thing we look for in a quarterback would be speed, but it isn’t. The most important trait a Mechanicsburg quarterback can have is decision-making. Our offense runs at its best when our quarterback makes good decisions. The next question to be asked is can the quarterback move when he has to? He doesn’t need to be a speed merchant, but he needs to make the defense pay if he is ignored. Size wise, the quarterback does a good amount of inside running, so we want him to be big enough to be able to absorb a few hits. That being said, the quarterback that can make a quick decision and get vertical up field is exactly the type of guy we are looking for.

X (Wide Receiver, Split End): The X is the closest thing we have to a true wide receiver in our offense. He is split out wide on the line of scrimmage in all of our formations, and he fulfills the role of a prototypical wide receiver. We want the X to be able to run routes and catch the football. Ideally, we look for large, possession type receivers that are also willing to block downfield. He also runs most of our downfield routes. For our deep passes, the element of surprise plays a large role.

Y (Wide Receiver, Split End, Tight End): The Y is the first of our hybrid positions. The Y is responsible for both lining up wide as a split end and also being attached to the formation as a tight end. Because of this, we look for a very specific type of athlete to play the Y. He needs to be big, but he also needs to be able to run routes against the opponent’s secondary. It also allows us to get a big body out in space to act as a lead blocker on our outside running plays.

A (A-Back, Slot Back, Wing Back, Running Back): Our A-Back is most like a Tailback in traditional offenses. On most of our option plays the A-Back will be the pitch man, so speed is the desired trait here. Size is not a necessity, as most of the A-Back’s running will be to the outside. The A-Back will also run routes, so being able to catch the football is a plus. He doesn’t have to be six feet tall or weigh two hundred pounds, but speed and acceleration are key.

B (B-Back, Fullback): The B-Back is the bruiser in our offense. A majority of his runs are going to be quick-hitting dive plays that try to catch the defense on the wrong foot. Running between the tackles is the primary trait of the B-Back, and any additional speed to break long runs is a bonus. The B-Back rarely goes out for passes and is more likely to stay in for pass protection. That being said, in most Flexbone offenses the B-Back is actually the feature back and receives the most amount of carries.

Z (A-Back, Slot Back, Slot Receiver, Wing Back, Super Back, Running Back): The Z-Back is the second of our hybrid positions. The prototypical Z-Back combines the traits of a good A-Back and Slot Receiver. This guy is the “slot ninja” in our offense. Speed and acceleration are valued over size and strength. In some formations he will line up like a wing and receive option pitches. Sometimes the Z will line up out farther as a flanker in the slot. Here the Z will run deep routes to make the defense cover the entire field. The Z-Back should be your player that is most dangerous with the ball in his hands, and moving him around lets you emphasize those talents.

Offensive Line: What we look for in offensive linemen, no surprise, is speed and athleticism. Since we veer the end man on the line of scrimmage, it is more important for our linemen to be able to get to the second or third level rather than be a road grader. Obviously we look at run blocking over pass blocking, and we are able to recruit smaller and quicker linemen that other schools may have overlooked.
That's good stuff right there. That's the offense. A multiple option offense with run n shoot principles. The most dangerous formation in all of football!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
About the B back - I realize this is true of a RL flexbone system, but I was wondering if this held true in NCAA this year. I haven't escaped from work to test this, but in past NCAA games you are often better with a 'quick' back with great acceleration for in between the tackles running as that usually would net me more yards than a big back trying to drive the pile.

Timeetyo's NCAA 14 Relegation & Violations System: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-system.html
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #55
We had subs. It was crazy

MBFranchise's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo
About the B back - I realize this is true of a RL flexbone system, but I was wondering if this held true in NCAA this year. I haven't escaped from work to test this, but in past NCAA games you are often better with a 'quick' back with great acceleration for in between the tackles running as that usually would net me more yards than a big back trying to drive the pile.
I am interested to learn what you find out. The biggest trait to look for in a B-Back IMO is for him to never lose yards and always have the ability to fall forward. That's why I like mine to have big bodies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #56
Rookie

Slackarelli's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo
I had the early release and I had a lot of success with David Sims (GT FB#20). He will not get huge runs all of the time. He is the easiest to stop in the offense, but he is your work horse. I'f this guy avg's 5 yards a carry you will hold on to the ball most of the game. THEY CAN NOT LET THIS MAN CONTROL THE GAME!. When they stop him make them pay.
Quote:
I am interested to learn what you find out. The biggest trait to look for in a B-Back IMO is for him to never lose yards and always have the ability to fall forward. That's why I like mine to have big bodies.
That is a a requirement for real flexbone B-Backs. They must be able to fall forward and run through tackles. Strength is what you need. The higher the better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »