Home

Recruiting for the Flexbone

This is a discussion on Recruiting for the Flexbone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Rookie

TryHard_Nation's Arena

OVR: 12
Recruiting for the Flexbone

*Yes I did do a search for the topic*

With the improvements to the option game in NCAA 14, I have decided that I am going to run with a flexbone offense. I did some reading about the offense and learned a lot but have NCAA specific questions. If someone could provide a break down of what attributes I should look for in players and certain things like if a Rb or TE can play as the FB. What are the main attributes by position I should be looking at when scouting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Rookie

jakeywakey911's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Recruiting for the Flexbone

I'd say looks for guys with good speed, good awareness, and playmakers. A playmaker QB that can take the ball if he needs too, and a playmaking RB that quick with good awareness to break free after the pitch or handoff.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6

For the most part, get a power Halfback to play B-Back. Regular fullbacks generally wont work.

At A-Back (HB) you want speed guys with good acceleration and decent blocking if possible.

TE doesn't really do much except the occasional pass play. Go with a good blocker.

Good blocking WR's are the best thing you can get.

QB's with good accuracy and acceleration are the best.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
For the most part, get a power Halfback to play B-Back. Regular fullbacks generally wont work.

At A-Back (HB) you want speed guys with good acceleration and decent blocking if possible.

TE doesn't really do much except the occasional pass play. Go with a good blocker.

Good blocking WR's are the best thing you can get.

QB's with good accuracy and acceleration are the best.
I'll add on to what my Techie friend has provided here.

QB: Gonna need a guy who can run and take a hit. Ideally you need at least 2 guys on the roster at all times who can win you games from the QB position because their is a high likelihood they will get hurt during the season. It's definitely a plus if they can throw the ball, but they need to be able to grind out 3-4 yards at a time.

A-Back: These are your guys outside the tackles. You will play with 2 on the field most of the time. They need to be "speed backs" is how NCAA would classify them. Also it helps if they can catch the ball.

B-Back: I agree that you should recruit power running backs and move them to full back. They will get more carries than anyone else on your team and need to be able to grind it out without fumbling between the tackles.

TE: Virtually non existent in the offense. Maybe have 2 on the roster. I would suggest run blockers.

FB: I wouldn't recruit any FBs unless you can get super athletic guys who have a high carrying rating.

OL: These guys in theory should be very athletic run blockers. How that will translate into NCAA 14 I can't say yet. Basically you should have a lot of guys pulling, trapping, and moving straight to the 2nd and 3rd levels and will have to block more athletic defenders. Typically "pass blockers" are more athletic in the game, but the run blocking attribute will be much more important in this offense.

WR: You need some guys who can block on the outside. They should be blocking about 80% of the time so holding the edge on the outside is very important. Maybe if the defense starts playing press on the outside they can beat that as well and pick up big yardage. You won't need a large supply of them, but I would keep probably 5 guys on the roster at a time.

Last edited by catcher_0_3; 06-17-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 1

Thanks, looking to start up an option dynasty with probably Army in '14 as well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

The down field blocking seems to be leaps and bounds better in '14 than it was in '13 so I'd definitely try to get good blocking WRs. In '13 there were some ATHs that would be about a 77ish WR or a 70ish TE. These dudes were MONEY but hard to find (since you can't scout their blocking skills). In my offline, I had one of these WRs as a SR and he led my entire team in pancakes that year (because he had 60+ blocking skills solely going up against CBs with horrible BSH). I LOVED running to his side of the field that year (I ran a spread option attack).

I'd seriously consider recruiting receiving TEs and position changing them to WRs, if not for all of your WRs, then at least as your "run formation" WRs. You could recruit real WRs to play in your 3rd and long "passing formations" if you wanted.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Rookie

CR3AMnCR1MS0N's Arena

OVR: 7

hey jello, I know it's off topic, but did you go to MSU for "academic reasons"
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0

Trying to decide if I should role straight up flexbone offense like Tech uses in my 7 man Online Dynasty. I guarantee my friends wouldn't see it coming the first couple of times, but I just don't know if it would be sustainable. I'll probably just ***** out and go with the Nevada Pistol or Oregon Offense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »