Home

3-4 vs. 4-3

This is a discussion on 3-4 vs. 4-3 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Banned

mailman2's Arena

OVR: 0
3-4 vs. 4-3

Okay so I know the basics about these defenses. 3-4 utilizes 3 down lineman and 4 linebackers. 4-3 is obviously the opposite. 3-4 is better for the Pass, and 4-3 stops the run? Is that how it goes?

I see most teams use 4-3. Also, how about the safeties and cornerbacks?

How does this affect the D-Lineman. Obviously there would only be one in the 3-4. I would guess he has to be bigger. Or does it even matter?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Rookie

TheBadOwl's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

While it's not necessarily this way in real life, in the NCAA series I've found that the 3-4 is WAY better for rushing the passer and stopping the run, and equally effective against the pass as the 4-3. In real life, the 4-3 allows for the linebackers to be more focused on containing the edges or playing coverage, but it doesn't seem to work as well in the game.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Banned

mailman2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadOwl
While it's not necessarily this way in real life, in the NCAA series I've found that the 3-4 is WAY better for rushing the passer and stopping the run, and equally effective against the pass as the 4-3. In real life, the 4-3 allows for the linebackers to be more focused on containing the edges or playing coverage, but it doesn't seem to work as well in the game.
so your saying that 3 down lineman are better than 4 at rushing the passer and stopping the run? and wouldn't the 4-3 let the 3 linebackers focus on you know, THE PASS, not the rush since theres more "enforcers" up front???
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Okay so I know the basics about these defenses. 3-4 utilizes 3 down lineman and 4 linebackers. 4-3 is obviously the opposite. 3-4 is better for the Pass, and 4-3 stops the run? Is that how it goes?

How does this affect the D-Lineman. Obviously there would only be one in the 3-4. I would guess he has to be bigger. Or does it even matter?

We could really spend all night discussing this and I'm sure this will get quite a few responses. Inherently neither based off of formation are stronger against the pass or run. I'll let this topic develop then come back to add more input.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well, from my experience with the NCAA Football series it's really hard to run a true 3-4 defense. You can have a 6'1" 215 lbs DE play just as well as a 6'5" 285 lbs DE in a 3-4 on this game. That just kills the realism for me.

Why spend time looking for behemoth NTs and big DEs for a 3-4 during the recruiting process when you can just focus on signing the best D-Lineman available regardless of their fit in a 3-4 defense?

I usually just stick with a 4-3 because it's easier to recruit for (not many DEs available in the recruiting pool that would fit the mold of a traditional 3-4 DE, unless you sign DTs and convert them to DE. Likewise, there's not many true run stuffing NTs either). Granted, in a 4-3 on this game you won't get much pressure from CPU controlled DEs like you would want IRL from a 4-3, but I user control the DEs anyway so it works out for me.

As far as the DBs go, if you run man look for man corners or if you run zone look for zone corners. Then again, in this game it probably is best to just get the best DBs available.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

4-3 all th time! All those teams that use 4-3 should know something, right?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Rookie

Double post.

Last edited by thehardknoxlife; 06-18-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Nowadays IRL Nickel is more of a base defense than 4-3 or 3-4.

Here's the way I set up my 3-4. I use it vs under center type playstyle and go nickel vs shotgun.

NT - Big(300+), Strong, good vs run, great block shedding. Needs to draw a double team on run plays. (Rating to look for - STR, BKS, PRC)

DE - Ideally 270-290lbs is a good size. Needs to have a good pass rush. Sole responsibility is to push the pocket/rush QB and be able to fill the gaps on run plays. (Ratings to look for - PMV, STR, PRC) I like to put my best DE at LE.

RILB (Mike 230-240lb) - This need to be your best player in the front 7 and all rounder of sorts. Need to be able to drop in coverage, rush the pass, and chase down the RB. (Ratings to look for - PRC, PUR, TAK, SPD)

LILB (Sam 240-250lb) - Needs to be able to take on blocking lineman to free up Mike. He needs to be strong.(Ratings BKS, STR, PUR)

ROLB (Jack 250-260lb) Needs to be you're best pass rusher and be able to shed blocks. Ratings (SPD, BKS, FMV)

LOLB (Will 220-230lb) This is your most agile of backers. Needs to be able to cover, blitz and play the run. (Ratings PRC, PUR, TAK, SPD)

Last edited by thehardknoxlife; 06-18-2013 at 10:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »