Home

Trying to understand the matchup stick

This is a discussion on Trying to understand the matchup stick within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Trying to understand the matchup stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

1) Receiver vs defender is a comparison of speed, height, release, and route run compared to the defender guarding him.

2) Blue circle at players feet = Cold streak
Regular grey circle = normal
Red Circle = Hot
Pulsing Red circle = On fire

3) Green up arrow = Hot
Orange dash = Normal
Red down arrow = Cold

Part three is the confusing part because it seems redundant when you have that info already with part 2. I think part 3 has to be something different than hot or cold.
I'm guessing that part 3 is the actual matchup. Does your WR have an advantage or not? A scrub on a hot streak wouldn't mean he can beat a top corner. Vice versa, a crub CB versus a cold elite WR doesn't mean the WR still doesn't have an edge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Rookie

Razer1066's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I wanted to bring this back because I'm trying to figure this out.

So let me get this right

1) Receiver vs defender is a comparison of speed, height, release, and route run compared to the defender guarding him.

2) Blue circle at players feet = Cold streak
Regular grey circle = normal
Red Circle = Hot
Pulsing Red circle = On fire

3) Green up arrow = Hot
Orange dash = Normal
Red down arrow = Cold

Part three is the confusing part because it seems redundant when you have that info already with part 2. I think part 3 has to be something different than hot or cold.

That's what I thought - Part 3 I think it is a quick Matchup Indicator of some sort. I dont think it shows whether or not they are on a hotstreak - I think it is showing favorable matchups.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #27
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I've decided to go the matchup stick route in my coach career dynasty and was pretty confused. The green arrow/red arrow usually seemed to be wrong (IE. I would have a WR vastly superior to the CB lined up across from him but get a red arrow or my overpowering OL would have red arrows against an inferior DL). I did some experimenting and toying with ratings/settings and here are some conclusions I've reached.
  • The green/red arrows are indeed showing the ratings (or overall effectiveness) of the offensive players vs. the defensive players (green is advantage for offensive player) (1)
  • Sliders absolutely affect the results. This is why I kept getting red arrows for my superior players when I'd expect green arrows. (2)
  • For the O-line numbers it seems to be comparing the DL's BSH vs the appropriate BK rating of the OL, IE. it compares RBK on running plays and it compares PBK for passing plays. (3)
  • I haven't figured out all of the numbered ratings yet. (4)

(1) I edited players to make 99 OVR WRs and 1 99 OVR CB and 1 40 OVR CB to make sure I got green and red when I expected.

(2) IE. for roughly even WRs vs. CBs, I put the CPU pass coverage (when I was on O) to 100 and got red arrows, meaning that the CPU's maxed out coverage slider makes my WRs inferior. Conversely I put the CPU's coverage slider @ 0 and my WRs would have green arrows against the zeroed out coverage slider. (To see the effects you need to change the sliders and then call a new play. They won't take effect mid-play)
If you have sliders heavily skewed towards the CPU like I do, then you'll probably see counter-intuitive results for your superior players.

(3) This can be seen with an O-lineman that's much better at RBK vs. PBK or vice versa. For the high RBK guy, I had a green arrow on a run play and when I audibled to a pass play it would change to yellow or red. I thought it was pretty cool to see it change with my audibles.

(4) *Disclaimer* This is likely also affected by sliders and I didn't take the time to test with different sliders.
Height is straight forward.
SPD is not just SPD v. SPD (I've had a +11 for a 93 SPD WR vs. an 84 SPD CB). I'd guess it's some sort of weighted average of SPD, ACC and maybe AGI. It's also very possible that this is just SPD v. SPD but my sliders affected the numbers. IE. maybe my 20 threshold setting (which of course is supposed to increase the gap between faster and slower guys if you set it below 50) is turning a 9 SPD gap into an 11 SPD gap.
RLS was way off, but again, probably affected by sliders. IE. I had a 79 RSL WR vs. a 65 PRS CB and instead of seeing + 14 I only had +2.
Route Running was fubared and I couldn't figure it out. I had -9 RR in 1 matchup for a WR with 81 RR going up against a CB that didn't even have ANY ratings of 90 (81 + 9).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 12-04-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #28
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

good stuff jello. I typically dump all my coach skill tree into recruiting so I may never even use this feature, but I am glad I at least know how to use it if I do
Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

OVR: 6

So basically since the sliders screw with the matchup stick, its best not to even pay attention to it?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #30
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
SPD is not just SPD v. SPD (I've had a +11 for a 93 SPD WR vs. an 84 SPD CB).
Are you sure you didn't just have the OC skill that adds +2 speed to all offensive players?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
Are you sure you didn't just have the OC skill that adds +2 speed to all offensive players?
This was in play now so I had no OC.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »