Home

Anyone having fun on defense?

This is a discussion on Anyone having fun on defense? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #25
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Anyone having fun on defense?

Playing on Heisman I love how the CPU plays this year. There are some times I can stop them, but Oregon has been pretty much unstoppable playing against them. And I love it.

Now as long ad the CPU isn't trying 55/60 yard field goals on Heisman ill be good to go.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
Pro

herropreese's Arena

OVR: 3

I feel like players move a bit differently than in the past. So, I suck all over again on defense when trying to play MLB and play the run. It is fun though.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXShowstopperXx
This is exactly my problem with NCAA and Madden over the last few years. Whatever year it was that they decided to eliminate what they referred to as "psychic DBs" they also took a lot of control away from the user. In earlier (even this gen) NCAAs when you pressed triangle after the ball was in the air the guy you were in tried for the pick regardless of how close the ball was or how good a decision it was. Now that does not happen the CPU will do what it wants when it wants with regards to playing the ball in the air.

To the earlier poster who said that they don't see it I offer a simple test. Play the demo as user control the safety. When a deep pass is thrown press triangle way too early to make a play. He won't do anything, he will ignore you and try to make the best play as he sees fit.

They did this also to make it easier (as stated by the developers) and less intimidating to play pass defense and user picks. The problem is that they made it so you can't mess up by ignoring your input. If the CB can't see the ball then he shouldn't be able to make a play on it as if he's psychic or has eyes in the back of his head UNLESS I (who can see the ball) take control of him and press a button telling him to! That's not unrealistic that is just user impact on a sim game. That's how it should be, and if you're not good enough to control a DB without messing him up then stay off of him nothing wrong with that.

I have always thought there should be a setting for this. Like auto-assist on or off, when on the CPU assists you and when off they CPU doesn't help at all but obeys your inputs.
What you're referring to is the "ball hawk" feature that was added (last year?). I'm all for the option to turn features on or off, but it's not actually a button response or AI problem. It's a programmed feature. But again, I can agree having options is typically a good thing. Whether the ball hawk feature is good/bad is personal preference, but it is, in fact, a feature -- not a broken/flawed AI issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have moments that are fun. I can't wait till I can make my custom off/ def playbook so I can feel bit better with the defense. I use the 3-3-5 as my base and will mix in the 4-2-5. The only time I use a 4-3 d is in the redzone. I always play as the MLB so I can get right in the action against the run. I've missed more tackles than I usually miss. I should fix all of that on the 5th with the early release.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
What you're referring to is the "ball hawk" feature that was added (last year?). I'm all for the option to turn features on or off, but it's not actually a button response or AI problem. It's a programmed feature. But again, I can agree having options is typically a good thing. Whether the ball hawk feature is good/bad is personal preference, but it is, in fact, a feature -- not a broken/flawed AI issue.
Yes that's it the Ball Hawk feature. I must have mispoke (or typed) I don't think that it is broken or flawed because it is working exactly as the developers intended. However it takes control away from the user and that why I hate it. Even when it says "user pick" I know that the CPU was gonna do that anyway. Timing your jumps and deciding whether to knock it down or go for the pick should be in the users control unless he does not switch to the defender. In the demo I pressed L1 to knock the ball down because I wasn't sure I could get two hands on the pass. Well the CPU was sure and my defender went for the pick completely ignoring my input.

Imagine that happening on offense or any other game? The game telling you "I know you think X is open but O is a better throw trust me" and ignoring your command would be frustrating and unacceptable. That's how players that remember defense in the PS2/early PS3 days feel.

But I agree there's nothing broken about the game its just a design choice that I disagree with. I still wish it could be turned off just like auto strafe and QB assist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »