Home

Defending "Elite" Offenses

This is a discussion on Defending "Elite" Offenses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Defending "Elite" Offenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
How is the ballhawk feature any more different than in years past? It's just pressing the B button to control the closest defender when the ball is in the air. How is that any different than previous versions?
It sounds like some people here think that Ball Hawk is new to '14, but it was introduced in '13 (and I agree that it's overpowered). More than half of my INTs in my '13 OD were user picks and 100% of my user picks were made with Ball Hawk (I used to suck at user picking before '13 to the point that I'd get a few per season total).

Ball Hawk is very different from user picking prior to '13. Then you had to push B to get the closest defender. Then you manually moved your guy into the correct position (which can be tough) or you could just not hit the LS and let the CPU guide him to the correct spot. Then you had to time your jump and push Y at the correct time to intercept the ball. Too late and you don't get it. Too early and you don't get it.

With Ball Hawk, you push B to get the closest defender (like before).Then you just hold down Y, regardless of how far away the ball is. Then, with Y held down, the CPU will automagically move your guy to the correct spot, automagically wait for the proper time to jump, and then automagically jump at the best time to make the pick. To give you an idea of how bad it is, once you see the ball in the air, you can user pick with your eyes closed with a few very simple steps:
  1. Wait til ball is in the air (not really a step)
  2. Close eyes (not really a step)
  3. Tap B
  4. Hold Y
  5. ????????
  6. Profit
It's so bad in '13 (and just as bad in '14 from what I've seen in the demo) that I had to ban myself from using it in my offline dynasty (but I still use the hell out of it in my OD since I know others do too).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 06-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

One word: Alabama

Fight fire with Fire, Will you be able to stop elite offense all the time?No but Bama is like 49ers in Madden this year,They will cause alot of turnovers and defensive scores.The game is starting to get there but you can't out scheme on defense like you can offense,So make sure you have the horses i think Florida,South Carolina ,FSU, LSU and couple of others are good choices in case you don't to go Bama
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Rookie

JoedicyMichael's Arena

OVR: 3

Injuries... =)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Rookie

AustinMG82's Arena

OVR: 1

Not really realistic but when I play against a great scrambling QB I play a base 3-4 and play 2 man under the whole game. Audible the blitzing linebacker to a spy and every skill position player is in "man" coverage. Does it shut them down? No. You'll give up quick outs and slants and if you press then you're susceptible to deep passes. But it minimizes the damage 95% of the time
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Rookie

nikka's Arena

OVR: 5

a 4-2-5 built on speed... Have LB's with high ACC put them at DE..
Big DE's 270lbs 75+ Strength and high block shed at DT...
Big Safety types at LB... 3 CB's (one starting at FS, coverage)
Attack. Attack. Attack. Spy and mix up your coverages often

I build all of my Defenses on this and recruiting for this type of D can be tedious but once you have all of the players in place, it's amazing. No problem stuffing the run.

Last edited by nikka; 06-29-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Regarding the ball hawk feature, I've tried to develop a "house rule" where I only use it when I'm clearly in position to make an INT and "could have" done it under the old controls. Otherwise I force myself to press the "swat" button (L1 on PS3). If you're disciplined enough it helps the sim factor, at least when you play the CPU -- if you can get other HUM opponents to agree to the rule in an online dynasty, then even better.

To add more to the discussion on defending, a few have commented specifically on containing a mobile QB. It's probably no surprise based on the words "Cover 2" under my username, but it is my favorite base defensive coverage for various reasons -- and one being it's ability to defend the edge.

In a perfect world with equal or better players than the opponent, I want to be in man coverage every time there is a pass and in zone coverage every time there is a run. In man, defenders are focused on their assigned receiver while in zone they have their attention towards the backfield and are in an area which gives a better "fit" to stop runs.

With that in mind, Cover 2 puts the two corners in the flats to help with outside runs; including a scrambling QB. It's not sexy and it doesn't usually involve blitzing, but don't underestimate the power of having a speedy defender sitting on the outside at the line of scrimmage in case a QB takes off.

Also, I'm not sure if it's in the game, but "Cover 2 Invert" is a great one to use because it runs the safeties up to the flats at the snap while the corners drop to play deep halves. We all know that most safeties are better tacklers than corners so it's a nice change up from time to time if you have corners that are smaller or are horrible at defending the run.

Last edited by jmik58; 06-29-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMG82
Not really realistic but when I play against a great scrambling QB I play a base 3-4 and play 2 man under the whole game. Audible the blitzing linebacker to a spy and every skill position player is in "man" coverage. Does it shut them down? No. You'll give up quick outs and slants and if you press then you're susceptible to deep passes. But it minimizes the damage 95% of the time
This is a solid philosophy to follow, especially when the cover 3 from this defense is also pretty potent.

I either user control the SS or MLB, I feel like those two positions allow you plenty of freedom to take certain things out of the picture manually and force them to beat your CPU controlled players in a different area first.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
With ballhawk this year, I feel it's going to really enhance my confidence in playing with secondary players because it will significantly decrease the room for error. You know the CPU is going to get the player back into the best position if I decide to gamble and be overly aggressive to take certain routes away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »