Home

Presentation - How is it?

This is a discussion on Presentation - How is it? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Presentation - How is it?

I would say the "video" presentation is great, except for the camera angles during replays.

The "audio" presentation is virtually the same as it's always been. Crowd does not explode for big plays or for big situations, commentary is pretty stale after all these years, drum cadences sound good, but fight songs do not, Seven Nation Army was cool, but it plays too much, some new menu music, etc. I like the ESPN audio clips in-between quarters and pregame.

I'm satisfied overall, but hope they can really get the emotion and excitement of the atmosphere of college football in the future. They have the framework, but never really broke through.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
MVP

Brian_OS's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFan2005
A few years ago I'd accepted the fact that EA Sports games are meant to be played while listening to something else when playing vs the CPU; at least when playing vs friends you don't really listen to the commentary and such.

Although this doesn't bother me too much, this really is inexcusable at this point by this company. As someone mentioned in this thread, when technology isn't the problem, people are. That little sentence sums up this generation's football games perfectly.

I'm playing this on PS3, and 90% of the time my game fails to trigger the Post-Touchdown graphics swipes, player celebration cutscene, the replay of the TD, and the coach celebrating with scoring player cutscene; instead, the camera just follows the player back to the lifeless sidelines, ultimately just standing there and doing nothing. It'd be so nice for them to get rid of these cutscenes for next gen and just focus on the undisturbed rhythm of the actual game, with seamless transitioning between camera angles showing what's going on in the actual game.

Since it's transition to these current gen consoles, EA Football has had that "forced" feeling in it's graphics and presentation. That tiny pause when the play menu comes up makes you feel like you've been playing the same game 2x a year since 2006. Or the constant panning views of the stadiums during play selection, that isn't even smooth at all. Combine this with the tired commentary, bland menus, triggered events, etc, and it's no wonder the majority of sports gamers are ready for a totally different football game.
Totally agree. When spamming animations passes as presentation enhancements it is just lame. EA is happy with the status quo in this department and do not have the talent in the office to do what needs to be done. It's just sad really....
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman1050
IMO go get this years version of the game. It is possibly the best version of this generation. The presentation is very nice at times and is a step up over previous years. My comments were mainly to point out the pros and cons. I firmly believe the wipes and stat overlays and other elements really make this the best presentation we have had on this generation.
Yes, it probably is the tallest midget in the room.

I think the menus and overlays are bad. The menu lag/sluggishness remains, which is very frustrating. The blimp-view stadium cut scene after each play is still there, which is frustrating. Brad and Kirk are the same as they've ever been, which doesn't bother me too much. I hope commentary is fresh for the next gen.

Dynasty -- I really wish the menu presentation -- that is, the whole interface -- showed more effort. In a dynasty, you spend so much of your time off the field. With this being the last iteration of this gen, though, it's not surprising that it wasn't overhauled.

The player chatter and new player cut scenes are great addition. I just wish they didn't happen after nearly every play.

Still no refs or chain gang, I think. Would be a welcome addition if first down measurements were added to next gen!

Overall, by far the best NCAA this gen. I'll play it and have fun, but feel embittered that this wasn't NCAA 2011.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since it's transition to these current gen consoles, EA Football has had that "forced" feeling in it's graphics and presentation. [B
That tiny pause when the play menu comes up[/b] makes you feel like you've been playing the same game 2x a year since 2006. Or the constant panning views of the stadiums during play selection, that isn't even smooth at all. Combine this with the tired commentary, bland menus, triggered events, etc, and it's no wonder the majority of sports gamers are ready for a totally different football game.
This is well said.

All EA Sports games have felt "glitchy" in the menu/presentation department this generation. I don't get that from, say, NBA 2K or MLB The Show.

I think it really detracts from enjoyment.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

I was expecting much, much more from the halftime show. It was rather disappointing.

Start @ beginning

Start @ 0:50

Start @ 27:32

What I do like about it: The ingame update, the start of the halftime show (i.e. the mention of Nissan along with the vehicle), the statistic overlay, broadcasters actually sound like their interacting with each other and in the same booth. I do like what they say in terms of their first half summation, but I would like to hear about actual scoring drives with the actual drives (and not some random clips), any turnovers, etc.

What I did not like about it: Stringing together random, meaningless clips. No gameplay breakdown for big plays. I should be able to put the volume on mute and simply use my eyes to understand what exactly happened in the first half. Turn the volume back on, and I should be able to get a complete picture of what happened in the first half.

What it needs: I want game updates from around the league (e.g. scores, upsets, injuries). Scoring drives for the first half. Big hits, big plays. This would be a good starting baseline.

I just wish the NCAA department or for that matter, EA Sports, would simply delegate two separate teams:

Group 1: Solely devoted to creating the pregame, halftime and postgame show and absolutely nothing else for the entire development lifecycle. A team for NCAA football, Madden Football, EA NHL, etc. These teams will do absolutely nothing else but watch televised broadcasts for pre-game, halftime, and postgame shows. Do research for their respective sports' presentation. Incorporate those elements and any of the finer details to the pre-game, halftime, postgame shows. Draw. The. Gamer. In. / Keep. Them. Immersed.

Group 2: Solely devoted to creating in-game atmosphere, crowd reactions/interactive crowds, individualized personalities in the stands/crowd, sideline reactions/interactive sidelines, anything and everything on the field, anything and everything in the stadium. Draw. The. Gamer. In. / Keep. Them. Immersed.

KEY to success
: Dynamics, variable dynamics. Build on the foundation, don't start from scratch each and every lifecycle. Polish what's great. Enlist the help from real life production teams (e.g. FOX sports, NBC sports, CBS sports, ESPN, TNT, etc.)
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman1050
IMO go get this years version of the game. It is possibly the best version of this generation. The presentation is very nice at times and is a step up over previous years. My comments were mainly to point out the pros and cons. I firmly believe the wipes and stat overlays and other elements really make this the best presentation we have had on this generation.
i appreciate every comment. i like immersion. i keep hoping for great presentation like 2k and the show, but i have to remember its ea. yours and many of the following comments are helping me keep that in mind.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Rookie

Keenan G.'s Arena

EA will never have good presentation like 2k or the Show.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #24
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

just watched the highlights, great job and thanks, and you are right. random highlights.

the wisconsin game had all sack highlights but no commentary on how many. they commentary roughly matched the highlights but not specific in any way.

it is improved. i will be checking it out on my own this weekend probably.

i am hoping once i get into a dynasty they have conference specific updates and suck. for example, when playing the show, they have a league score update during the 4th inning break. i check it out to see if teams i am behind lost and such. it would be good it ncaa has it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »