Home

Defence is broken..

This is a discussion on Defence is broken.. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #81
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Defence is broken..

Probably a combination of inflated ratings and EA leaning towards the arcade/pick up and play crowd.

The BIG 12 is known for its explosive offenses and lackluster defenses, while the SEC is known for its D. Playing a game between Kansas St (running a power run offense) and Bama (up-tempo spread) online can end up in high scoring shootout.

Teams should have to play towards their strengths in order to succeed in the game, but that isn't the case. Ratings are diluted and there isn't much disparity on the field. Not the mention that teams are capable of running any plays without much limitation.

Using Army with an Air Raid offense? No problem, the D's already on their heels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #82
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler360
I stop the run better using a Velcro 9 man zone vs a 4-3 with safeties in. You run a cover 3 and shade the long side of the field and still get torched by outs.
That's what I'm getting at. When an umbrella velcro 9 man zone stops stops the run better than a 4-3, 3-4, or 5-2 there is an issue.

Likewise, your secondary should be jumping routes in a cover 3 zone shading the long side of the field yet they can't cover it at all.

If I wanted to I could literally go no huddle all game and consistently score in under a minute just passing the ball. It's super easy. The QB doesn't get pressuref much, the WRs get open every play, and the QB is extremely accurate no matter who you're using.

I think if they just increased the ability of the d-line to pass rush and decreased the route running and accuracy of the QB, it would help tremendously. I might mess with the sliders but I've never really been one to mess with things like that because online games use default sliders and I have never found tweaking sliders to be that effective anyway.

The WRs run perfect routes every play so you can literally predict each WR that is going to break open. Maybe have the bump and run actually knock them off their routes or maybe have it where they don't always run pin point perfect routes so it's not so predictable. I don't know.

The comment above about how the ratings are diluted and there isn't much disparity on the field is very true.

Maybe I'm in the minority and everyone wants an uptempo high scoring video game with little defense. It will never be exactly like the real thing but I think there are many areas in which it can improve.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

Last edited by BigDofBA; 07-09-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
That's what I'm getting at. When an umbrella velcro 9 man zone stops stops the run better than a 4-3, 3-4, or 5-2 there is an issue.

Likewise, your secondary should be jumping routes in a cover 3 zone shading the long side of the field yet they can't cover it at all.

If I wanted to I could literally go no huddle all game and consistently score in under a minute just passing the ball. It's super easy. The QB doesn't get pressuref much, the WRs get open every play, and the QB is extremely accurate no matter who you're using.

I think if they just increased the ability of the d-line to pass rush and decreased the route running and accuracy of the QB, it would help tremendously. I might mess with the sliders but I've never really been one to mess with things like that because online games use default sliders and I have never found tweaking sliders to be that effective anyway.

The WRs run perfect routes every play so you can literally predict each WR that is going to break open. Maybe have the bump and run actually knock them off their routes or maybe have it where they don't always run pin point perfect routes so it's not so predictable. I don't know.

The comment above about how the ratings are diluted and there isn't much disparity on the field is very true.

Maybe I'm in the minority and everyone wants an uptempo high scoring video game with little defense. It will never be exactly like the real thing but I think there are many areas in which it can improve.
Exactly. If they made it about making plays via user catching, scrambling, instead of dropping back with no pass rush and getting picked apart by 5 Jerry Rice esk routes it would be better.

No patch at midnight. Not buying this junk.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #84
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

If you don't think the D is broken play me and Ill show you! Larry da Legend Xbox360. Only got til 6am because im not buying this game. In the mean while Ill be playing The Witcher 2.

Last edited by ghettogeeksta; 07-09-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #85
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Just a quick vid of the stats and a highlight from my last online ranked game. I had Iowa vs Oregon and we all know how great that Oregon offense is. This guy was running a lot of read option and I used my fav play CB Dogs out of the 4-3 over to consistently shut it down. In the video I ran CB dogs expecting the option but manually covered the weak side streak with the safety.

Forced the guy to make a quick decision and he threw the ball right where i wanted him to. Now going one on one deep is not the most "ideal" coverage, but I'm confident enough in my user skills that I would come out on top of this match up 9/10 times.

Holding Oregon to that kind of yardage is decent. Not just anyone can burn you on offense if you know what you are doing on D.

SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon

Last edited by EarvGotti; 07-09-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #86
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler360
Defense is broke. Stop with the you just suck comments. 4th and 20 is a 75% conversion for the offense online. It's broke and needs a patch.
I've yet to give up more than 24 points. Blitz on third and long, but user cover the HB in case of the screen.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #87
Pro

der juicen's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
Run that against a competent player and they will gash you for 15+. I'm racking my brain as to who you are playing online and how it becomes a "shootout".

Just now, I was playing against UK and I was Vandy. It took until the 4th quarter for there to be a good break for me to get in the lead. It would almost sound like a shootout without the score.

The score was 10-17. I intercepted an idiotic throw (much like real life) and ran it back. I've been saying it over and over, you won't stop everything. If you get frustrated, you won't stop ANYTHING. You can be good on defense. Take note of the matchups, take better note of who the person is throwing to more than others. That is a great tell. Change your defense up.

If they run a bit with a dash of passing, catch them off guard on second down by zone blitzing while purple/pink shade is in front of their main go to guy. Cover pass and you'll still have your main blitzers.

Spotlight. Hell, this even goes for your offense. Take your time, run more, pass less, waste his time and frustrate him. He'll throw constant blitzes that will open up passing lanes on purpose. Get someone frustrated and behind the eightball and the shoots seem to disappear.

You will occasionally lose to someone who is better. It happens, it's what sports are made for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
If you don't think the D is broken play me and Ill show you! Larry da Legend Xbox360. Only got til 6am because im not buying this game. In the mean while Ill be playing The Witcher 2.
Challenges like these are laughable. You may be well versed in offense but lack a bit of a defensive mind and then want to challenge people to stroke your ego after admitting you're not buying the game. There is a good debate going on and all you can say is "I'll show you."

I've never understood personalities similar to yours.

Last edited by der juicen; 07-09-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #88
Rookie

okstate19's Arena

OVR: 5

I would definitely say that right now, the game is tuned to favor the offensive passing attack. I wouldn't call it BROKE, but definitely...decidedly..."slanted."

However, I find that I get gashed against teams that have good a good passing game. (I'm in an OSU dynasty and playing in the Big 12 lets me experience that first-hand)

Teams that aren't as good or are run heavy, I (obviously) have better success defending their passing game.

I think user vs. user games could get pretty annoying. I feel for those that like to go online and play against human opponents. I really do.

I play strictly offline though, and I'm pretty happy with everything thus far. I've yet to tinker with any sliders except for human run defense and speed threshold.

I'm sure a patch and/or tuner will come out that will attempt to address the lack of competency in the secondary. I just hope whatever is released doesn't break anything else. I'm having too much fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »