Home

Man Defense & The QB Spy

This is a discussion on Man Defense & The QB Spy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6
Man Defense & The QB Spy

Why is it that no matter who I play, my CB's are getting burned constantly? I can stop the computer first and second down but on third, no matter what play I pick, the computer WILL get the first down. Defense has never been a problem of mine, but I CANNOT get stops. Anyone have any tips for me? I know X's and O's and when to call certain plays but I just have no luck. I've mostly abandoned zone plays because they don't seem to work at all.

Another thing, I just lost a game because of the QB spy. I had a double spy on Devin Gardner on 3 and 8 and he rolls and and scrambles. Both of my LB's strafe sideways but don't attack until he was over the first down line. the spy seems mostly useless since thy wait until the QB is right on top of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Man Defense & The QB Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
Why is it that no matter who I play, my CB's are getting burned constantly? I can stop the computer first and second down but on third, no matter what play I pick, the computer WILL get the first down. Defense has never been a problem of mine, but I CANNOT get stops. Anyone have any tips for me? I know X's and O's and when to call certain plays but I just have no luck. I've mostly abandoned zone plays because they don't seem to work at all.

Another thing, I just lost a game because of the QB spy. I had a double spy on Devin Gardner on 3 and 8 and he rolls and and scrambles. Both of my LB's strafe sideways but don't attack until he was over the first down line. the spy seems mostly useless since thy wait until the QB is right on top of them.
1) I'm with you on the CB issue brotha. There's definitely a problem and it makes the CPU passing game unstoppable. I'm hearing lowering OPI/DPI will help a bit so you might want to try that.

2) It's not a spy issue. From what you described the spy worked properly. The "attack" issue is a problem overall. Even without the spy defenders constantly wait for the RB to cross the LOS before attacking.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
1) I'm with you on the CB issue brotha. There's definitely a problem and it makes the CPU passing game unstoppable. I'm hearing lowering OPI/DPI will help a bit so you might want to try that.

2) It's not a spy issue. From what you described the spy worked properly. The "attack" issue is a problem overall. Even without the spy defenders constantly wait for the RB to cross the LOS before attacking.
Awesome post. I hope EA does something to address the man coverage. I'll give the OPI/DPI thing a shot.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Stunting the defensive line out helps with QB scrambling. The ends stunt out and don't rush so the QB scramble is less effective. Use that with a spy and press the corners. Also, select them yourself and bring your safeties down. The nickel and dime corners are the key to this defense. I select them and move them slightly to the inside or outside depending on field position. Far hash I put the nickel outside (risky with the way slants work) to try to prevent the corner route which is too effective, and I put the dime back (on 4 wide) to the inside to prevent short side slant. Vice versa for the near hash and that's how I'm having success on defense. Using FSU and so far only Clemson has put up 300 total yards on me.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't think there is a problem with the corners. I have only given up over 200 yards passing in 2 games so far. I give up a lot of completions, but not a lot of yards. I have opi/dpi at 0.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
I don't think there is a problem with the corners. I have only given up over 200 yards passing in 2 games so far. I give up a lot of completions, but not a lot of yards. I have opi/dpi at 0.
If you're playing 90+ offenses with scrambling quarterbacks I doubt it. I don't give up many points, but I give up a lot of yards
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

The spy thing annoys me to no end. No freaking end, how can Madden do this so well and NCAA not.

I haven't been able to find a fix. I've practiced putting 4 spies on a QB in practice mode and my roommate can just run circles around them.

Man coverage wise/3rd and long, ill either take out the first route I see break toward the first down line, it's usually a slant from the outside WR, or just stay in the middle and try to clog it up and make the tackle before they get the first, cover 3 out of dollar or quarter does this pretty well

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Rookie

Go_Dawgs's Arena

OVR: 0

I keep getting burned on QB spy's as well and man coverage. Thing that bothers me the most is how often these guys break tackles or stiff arm a defender for another 10 yards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »