Home

Stopping Corner Routes

This is a discussion on Stopping Corner Routes within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Stopping Corner Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeafroman
My first thought: the coverage is broken before the play even begins. The CPU keeps your safety in the middle of the field, no matter what. Even if he's matched up covering a WR on the far hash in man coverage, he's chillin in the middle of the field before the snap.

I'm being lazy you say?

I manually (EVERY PLAY) move the safety over right in front of the WR he's covering. Annoying, but fine. I'll do it. What happens then? How do they get WIDE OPEN on every corner route?

The safety I manually moved over, and stays put when I select another player to be DARTS BACK TO THE CENTER OF THE FIELD WHEN THE BALL IS SNAPPED. Please do this. Do it, then watch the replay and stare in disbelief at the safety. He will literally sprint away from his coverage responsibility, dash to the center of the field, then turn around to cover his guy, who is normally 30 yds away now.

The CPU has my safety do a freakin shuttle drill during the play EVERY time. UN BEE LEEV A BULL.
I don't know what kind of defense you're running, but when I play man coverage and my safety is supposed to cover a WR in man, he lines up across from him. I don't have to manually put him there and he doesn't sprint to the middle of the field at the snap of the ball. I'm on 360 if that matters (but I can't imagine why it would for this).

(The FS is the dude over the slot receiver in these pics)

3-4:

Nickle 3-3-5:

Nickle Normal:

Dollar:
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

Great screen shots, this is what I'm talking about.

Say the offense has twins to the right. Look at your SS, he's camped there in the middle, way back.

Now if he's got the slot WR to the right, if that WR runs any type of outside route, it's an automatic catch. So, of course, I manually move him over to the guy he's covering.

On the snap, my SS will sprint to the middle of the field, ignoring anything and everything, THEN go chase after his guy.

I'm in a 3-4 like you, bringing LBs. Try the 3-4, pick a play that blitzes 3 LBs, and do what I do with my SS. It's psychotic.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:

Say the offense has twins to the right. Look at your SS, he's camped there in the middle, way back.

Now if he's got the slot WR to the right, if that WR runs any type of outside route, it's an automatic catch. So, of course, I manually move him over to the guy he's covering.

On the snap, my SS will sprint to the middle of the field, ignoring anything and everything, THEN go chase after his guy.

I'm in a 3-4 like you, bringing LBs. Try the 3-4, pick a play that blitzes 3 LBs, and do what I do with my SS. It's psychotic.
Maybe the difference is that it sounds like you run a lot of cover 0 (I almost never run cover 0). My SS in all of those pics is playing a deep zone, so his position is optimal. My FS, however, is playing man and is lined up immediately across from his guy. In those pics, all WRs/TE are manned up with the defender immediately across from him.

I didn't try anything with a cover 0 to see where my SS lined up, but I sure as hell wouldn't want all 11 guys near the LOS (so on the rare occasions where I do run cover 0, I wouldn't manually move my safeties to the LOS) as that's just begging to get burned deep (but I guess that's the chance you take with a cover 0).

Last edited by jello1717; 08-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
If this is an accurate description, then I don't see it. I called a 5 WR smash play with 2 slot guys running corner routes.

I called a 3-4 pinch which rushes 7 (although I hot routed them all to spy so I didn't have to worry about a pass rush). The FS lined up across from his man, but like you said, the SS stayed in the middle of the field.

Normally I'd leave him there, but to test I moved him to line up across from his man presnap.

I took control of another defender and the SS stayed put.

I snapped the ball, and while the corner route was open (just like curls, outs, and ins frequently are against man) the SS most certainly didn't "sprint to the middle of the field, ignoring anything and everything, THEN go chase after his guy." He covered the corner route the same way as the FS that I didn't have to move pre-snap.

Here is how it looked for me. Is this not what you're seeing?

Last edited by jello1717; 08-26-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but...

If you control a player pre-snap and move him to another spot on the field then control a different player, the first player will always move back to where he was before. This was coded into the game to combat cheese by some user players. Mainly, some people used to move multiple defensive players into unnatural position where they could put near immediate pressure on the QB. By doing this, EA at least cut down to one (the player being controlled) player that could possibly create a cheese pressure scenario.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

I have found that's only true on special teams plays. When I move my SS over, he stays put. But at the snap, he doesn't.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

Yeah, my SS definitely doesn't cover like that. I'm sorry, I'm not mking stuff up. I use the 3-4 pinch, like you showed. It rushes 6, not 7. I line my SS just lke you did, but at the snap, he books it towards the center of the field. He's 90+ rated, too
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

It could be that practice mode plays way differently than actual games...

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »