Home

The regression in this generation of NCAA is unbelievable.

This is a discussion on The regression in this generation of NCAA is unbelievable. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The regression in this generation of NCAA is unbelievable.

In my experience with 14 so far, there are some big steps forward, but they are somewhat offset by some steps back. Overall, I'm still enjoying the game and making some progress in getting the gameplay challenge I'm looking for on AA.

Steps forward:
  • user run game feels much better
  • Infinity engine is a big hit with me (really digging the new feel of player interactions on collisions)
  • CPU run is less predictable (misdirection & play action is better)
  • I like the new recruiting (I was okay with the previous system, but I favor the new points system in place now)
  • Coach progression & skills system
  • can now schedule neutral game sites
  • addition of a couple of new teams (more is always better)

Shortcomings that need addressing:
  • while there is improvement in some blocking schemes, there are some plays where the blocking is overpowered (runs up the gut almost always result in positive yards)
  • I've been getting waaay too many int's. Even with my INT slider at 0, I was still getting at least 2 per game. I've finally got it under control by subtracting 50 attribute points (yes 50!) on all my DB's ratings for Catch, CIT, and Spectacular catch, even so I still get an occassional pick, but it's better now)
  • concerned about juiced player progression. In '12 & '13, the top gainers in my offseason training results would be a group that got +5 overall. In 14 I've noticed my top players improve by +6 overall. May not sound like much, but it's a cumulative effect that all players on my roster are gonna gain about 4 more ovr by they time they reach their last year playing)
  • Fumble frequency: While I do see fumbles occassionally from my HB's and CPU RB's, the number is low, but I can deal with EA not addressing this one because I fear they will overcompensate & turn games into a fumble-fest. (slider please)
  • Some sliders are jacked (some either straight up don't work, seem barely effective, reversed, etc)
  • I'm definitely not seeing the amount of injuries occurring that I did in 13. (slider please)
  • removal of option to turn Coaching Contracts off
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

I gotta say i disagree with OP.....
Having also played NCAA since 04 or so.....i would much rather play 2014 than 04' or 05' or any previous NCAA game. 2014 is the most refined football game i believe i have ever played, is it perfect? Absolutely not, but we cant expect it to be. The thing about this is its all perception and how you view the game, being one persons favorite while being another persons drink coaster.
and to add on about the fumble/face-mask reward i was playing the cpu late in a close game and it went into an animation with the defender continually trying to rip the ball out, couple plays later a guy tried to come over the back of my HB and got called for a face-mask. saw it once never again lol but idk how to accomplish getting your defender into that animation i just know i saw the cpu do it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Defense has major flaws. Zone is completely broken, and there are too many routes that beat man every time. Backup wrs and te's run perfect routes and get entirely too much separation. They replaced psychic dbs with psychic qbs who find every open wr every play. Offensive players are able to run and cut better than ever while they slowed down defenders reaction times and ability to make similar cuts.

Game is fun to play but still incredibly frustrating. I'm averaging .6 fumbles per game after 2 yrs of dynasty. At times it just feels like the game was created for little kids who lust for big plays.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #28
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhinds7
I think the defense in this game is garbage. Literally every single time the computer has a pass completion, that WR is open because the defender either cut way late (ran downfield a few extra yards, even though they're looking at the WR), or the defender doesn't get off the line immediately or takes an odd route to the WR. And on running, the read option is definitely overpowered. There is no way you should be able to gain 5+ yards every single read option.

That being said, I still found a way to win every game this season by at least 7 points with Nebraska on AA. It's just frustrating to see your players cover routes like garbage or be engaged in a block every single play and there is nothing you can do about it. This game makes it seem like every single game is just a scoring battle, the team with more possesions wins.
And that is what frustrates the hell out of me. I can win the games but still it just doesn't feel right because of how the coverage guys play. I did a test and put a CB at 99 in everything, did not make a difference. I used most of the well know sliders here and still it happens. 100 in pass coverage slider, did not change anything. The coverage guys either have that weird animation to take them out of the play, or like you said they run extra yards even though the WR or TE made their route break and end up being 8-10 yards away from them.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #29
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

there are those who will argue against the TS, but we still dont have several little features we had on PS2.

The series has regressed and that's not debatable.

2011 was a HUGE step in the right direction, but 2012 didnt build on that.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by burter
And that is what frustrates the hell out of me. I can win the games but still it just doesn't feel right because of how the coverage guys play. I did a test and put a CB at 99 in everything, did not make a difference. I used most of the well know sliders here and still it happens. 100 in pass coverage slider, did not change anything. The coverage guys either have that weird animation to take them out of the play, or like you said they run extra yards even though the WR or TE made their route break and end up being 8-10 yards away from them.
Legendary mode really shows off this problem.... I had a 99 ovr CB and DE getting owned every play by 61 ovr's.

It's been this way forever the only difference is the responsiveness in the control last gen allowed you to overcome the flaws in the engine.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #31
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF11
Defense is the same as every EA game for the past generation. I can run quarters man in every situation and shut down the other team human or CPU.

My issue is the user controlled player feels laggy and unresponsive. Is there even a strip button anymore? Or is it all on the stick?

I'm actually gonna have to agree with you, I can usually get a pick or two when I need it by playing the FS or manually switching to the CB when the ball is in the air, but I just cannot force a fumble to save my life..

I almost wish there were more sliders to edit like Madden. Madden 13 has about 15 sliders you can adjust on offense and defense and I loved that. Still loving this game 10x more than last years version though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 4

The game must not have regressed too much if the OP continues to buy it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »