Home

O'Bannon Legal Team Reacts to NCAA Decision

This is a discussion on O'Bannon Legal Team Reacts to NCAA Decision within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: O'Bannon Legal Team Reacts to NCAA Decision

If the court case goes their way and players in college eventually get paid as basically semi-pro athletes, should they still receive full-ride scholarships, free room and board, travel stipends, etc? Or should whatever cut they get be enough? Will the players then have a responsibility to then go to class and major in say pre-law instead of Athletic Sciences, Journalism instead of Earth Sciences? The rules for what is and isn't an amateur athlete will have to be rewritten. As will how scholarships are awarded to athletes who with a new salary/compensation system won't exactly be at-need anymore. Just some thoughts. I think they deserve something, but then other things should be re-allocated to students there to learn who actually could use the help.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #50
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
If the court case goes their way and players in college eventually get paid as basically semi-pro athletes, should they still receive full-ride scholarships, free room and board, travel stipends, etc? Or should whatever cut they get be enough? Will the players then have a responsibility to then go to class and major in say pre-law instead of Athletic Sciences, Journalism instead of Earth Sciences? The rules for what is and isn't an amateur athlete will have to be rewritten. As will how scholarships are awarded to athletes who with a new salary/compensation system won't exactly be at-need anymore. Just some thoughts. I think they deserve something, but then other things should be re-allocated to students there to learn who actually could use the help.
Choose between the scholarship, or it's monetary equivalent?
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #51
Rookie

Lzydd's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Choose between the scholarship, or it's monetary equivalent?
They should choose between the scholarship of X% of profits on merchandise sold. So Vince Young would make bank from "#10" jerseys sold while Joe Blow gets a free education.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzydd
They should choose between the scholarship of X% of profits on merchandise sold. So Vince Young would make bank from "#10" jerseys sold while Joe Blow gets a free education.
There's an issue with that logic. When my sister buys me a University of Michigan #20 jersey who gets the money, Mike Hart? What if a current player is wearing the same number? What if 20 just happens to be the number I wore in high school? How do you address all those various possibilities?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #53
Rookie

Lzydd's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adibesee
There's an issue with that logic. When my sister buys me a University of Michigan #20 jersey who gets the money, Mike Hart? What if a current player is wearing the same number? What if 20 just happens to be the number I wore in high school? How do you address all those various possibilities?
What year was the jersey made? This isn't really that complicated, unless you happen to believe it's a coincidence the number on jerseys produced each year matches the star player. Hell, UT put a 50% discount on Garrett Gilbert's jersey when he transferred. Secondly, what the hell difference does it make that you wore #20 in high school? Does Nike sit in their offices thinking "this dude wore a #20 jersey in high school, better make all Michigan jerseys that number"? smh
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzydd
What year was the jersey made? This isn't really that complicated, unless you happen to believe it's a coincidence the number on jerseys produced each year matches the star player. Hell, UT put a 50% discount on Garrett Gilbert's jersey when he transferred. Secondly, what the hell difference does it make that you wore #20 in high school? Does Nike sit in their offices thinking "this dude wore a #20 jersey in high school, better make all Michigan jerseys that number"? smh
You clearly missed my point. So let me reiterate. She bought the jersey this year. She asked who my all-time favorite player was first but she just as easily could have asked what my favorite number is. My question is what player gets paid for that jersey? An even better example would be jersey #7 as several players in the history of football have worn that number. Just because I want a certain jersey number & and I buy it this year doesn’t mean I want it because of the 3rd string QB with the same number.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: O'Bannon Defense Team Reacts to NCAA Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
If it is determined that athletes deserve to be compensated for their likenesses being represented in a video game, who's to say they don't deserve to be compensated for all the other gains the NCAA has made using them? Do you guys think this case could be the straw that breaks the camel's (or the NCAA's) back?
That's the major point in this case imho (and probably why they'll lose that part of the case).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_mike
They do. That doesn't mean it's legal.
If it was voluntary and allowed the School / NCAA to use their name and likeness for anything (legal) they liked for the duration of the person's time at the school then it would be legal (although how many would sign it is up for question, some would if it meant their name being in a video game, for example, for sure)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »