Home

EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014

This is a discussion on EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #33
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_mike
I'm telling you guys, this could all go south real quick. The bad situation may end up only being temporary, but could be enough to kill the whole thing going forth. I wouldn't count on anything at the moment.
Wow. A signed deal doesn't convince u guys. I guess we will see in a year.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #34
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Couple of tweets from Pastapadre on this:

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 1h
Though EA and CLC extended for 3 years some schools have opted out meaning they may not be in the college football game. Dont know who yet

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 1h
I'll have more on this and the potential of institutions choosing not to be in video games in a story tomorrow.

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 38m
Keep in mind schools could opt out of CLC deal in order to negotiate their own and get more $. More likely they dont want involvement though
FYI pasta clarified his tweet. Schools can opt out but none have. They always can opt out anyway. If they do opt out, ea will have to negotiate with them individually which ea already does with other schools.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #35
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014

Maybe I'm naive but I don't see what's worth being worried over. Seems under control to me

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: EA Sports License Extended with CLC For Three More Years, Starting July 1, 2014

There are so many work arounds the likeness issue. It's a non-issue for gaming companies. The NCAA, however, is headed down another road when it comes to amateurism.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #37
Rookie

Lowebo's Arena

OVR: 3

So the full story is here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...newed/2570119/

Key quote:
Quote:
...each school or league continuing to decide whether to opt in or out through Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), their licensing agent.

Some schools did opt out for different reasons, though it's not clear how many. CLC represents nearly 200 colleges, conferences and bowl games.

"More than 150 colleges, conferences and Bowl Games have approved the extension thus far," CLC spokesman Andrew Giangola told USA TODAY Sports. "For various reasons, schools and conferences typically come and go across the life span of any licensed product, as is the case with this game."
So until we know for certain, we know nothing.

As we were then...
Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #38
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

According to this article http://extramustard.si.com/2013/07/1...g_a2&eref=sihp EA would have to sign these schools to their own deals:

Ohio St
Oregon
Michigan St
Baylor
Northern Illinois
Virginia Tech
USC
Troy
South Alabama
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
According to this article http://extramustard.si.com/2013/07/1...g_a2&eref=sihp EA would have to sign these schools to their own deals:

Ohio St
Oregon
Michigan St
Baylor
Northern Illinois
Virginia Tech
USC
Troy
South Alabama
I wonder how much extra EA will have to pay as a result of that.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #40
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I wonder how much extra EA will have to pay as a result of that.
Yeah, this is what concerns me....schools that may think that EA is willing to pay a boatload for the rights to include them in the game, a protracted negotiation over the fee and one side or the other pulling out of the deal as the deadline nears.

I think the game would still be worth doing if, say, Ohio State and Oregon were not in it but I'd be fooling myself trying to believe that the exclusion of those programs wouldn't greatly lessen the game even though I'm not a fan of either school.

Let's hope the schools that the CLC does not represent agrees to be part of the game going forward. If the NCAA was just a name and a logo for the game, wouldn't EA have been having to negotiate individually with these schools already?

Last edited by LastExit; 07-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »