Home

Shotgun - Trio Unbalanced

This is a discussion on Shotgun - Trio Unbalanced within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Shotgun - Trio Unbalanced

It's a legal formation because there are 7 men on the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter if that player furthest left is a LT or a TE, it's still a legal formation.

The important information about that formation is that the LT is actually "eligible" to receive a pass and the TE on the right side is not. I don't think the formation has any plays where the LT goes out for a pass, though.

EDIT: The NFL has the same rule. That's why every once in a while you'll see a lineman catch a TD on the goalline in the NFL.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

NFL eligibility rules state that the offense is required to line up at least seven of their eleven players on the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped. The five players on the interior of the offensive line (the center, the two guards and the two tackles) are ineligible to catch a forward pass. Only the two players on the end of the offensive line and the four players who are lined up at least one yard back of the line of scrimmage can be eligible receivers. In the case of the quarterback, he is only eligible if he receives the ball in shotgun formation and not while under center. Same applies for College.

The rule is for a minimum not a maximum. The minimum is seven which includes receivers split out wide. As it is easier to count the number of players in the backfield then on the line of scrimmage especially viewing the players while on the field, the refs count the players not on the line of scrimmage and if the count five or more they know either there are not at least seven on the line of scrimmage or there are more than 11 players for that team on the field. But to answer your question, assuming it is not for Canadian football, with 11 on a team at assuming the center cannot snap the ball to himself the maximum you would ever be able to practically have is 10. I suppose there is no rule for snapping the ball to nobody, which would likely end up turning the ball over to the other team if not giving them a touchdown on that play, you could actually have 11 on the line of scrimmage.

Hope I dont get in trouble for copying that. Delete if its a violation.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thm305
NFL eligibility rules state that the offense is required to line up at least seven of their eleven players on the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped. The five players on the interior of the offensive line (the center, the two guards and the two tackles) are ineligible to catch a forward pass. Only the two players on the end of the offensive line and the four players who are lined up at least one yard back of the line of scrimmage can be eligible receivers. In the case of the quarterback, he is only eligible if he receives the ball in shotgun formation and not while under center. Same applies for College.

The rule is for a minimum not a maximum. The minimum is seven which includes receivers split out wide. As it is easier to count the number of players in the backfield then on the line of scrimmage especially viewing the players while on the field, the refs count the players not on the line of scrimmage and if the count five or more they know either there are not at least seven on the line of scrimmage or there are more than 11 players for that team on the field. But to answer your question, assuming it is not for Canadian football, with 11 on a team at assuming the center cannot snap the ball to himself the maximum you would ever be able to practically have is 10. I suppose there is no rule for snapping the ball to nobody, which would likely end up turning the ball over to the other team if not giving them a touchdown on that play, you could actually have 11 on the line of scrimmage.

Hope I dont get in trouble for copying that. Delete if its a violation.
So, in the NFL, where the five interior players are ineligible to catch a pass, wouldn't that mean in the case of Trio Unbalanced, both the LT AND the TE would be ineligible?

I'm guessing the rule is slightly different in the NCAA because the LT in this formation is eligible according to poster above.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Rookie

jejones's Arena

The Lt is eligible. The Te isn't because he's covered by the outside guy.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Rookie

Yeah I think the requirement is that you have to have 7 guys on the LOS.

Also, Missouri has had this weird Shotgun formation for a while now, called the "Monster".

I think it has more than 4 plays now (maybe 6 IIRC) but it's still an interesting formation. I don't think I've even seen them run it though.

Then there's the "Swinging Gate" Formation some teams have used on occasion:

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Banned

football200414's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAllTheWay
It's a legal formation because there are 7 men on the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter if that player furthest left is a LT or a TE, it's still a legal formation.

The important information about that formation is that the LT is actually "eligible" to receive a pass and the TE on the right side is not. I don't think the formation has any plays where the LT goes out for a pass, though.

EDIT: The NFL has the same rule. That's why every once in a while you'll see a lineman catch a TD on the goalline in the NFL.
Exactly...tackle eligible...works when you slip it in against an unsuspecting defense...when I was in high school though you did have to report as an eligible receiver to the referee if you were wearing a lineman number
Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
So, in the NFL, where the five interior players are ineligible to catch a pass, wouldn't that mean in the case of Trio Unbalanced, both the LT AND the TE would be ineligible?

I'm guessing the rule is slightly different in the NCAA because the LT in this formation is eligible according to poster above.
No. If Im no mistaken, just the 5 interior lineman. Which in that formation would be the LG, C, RG, RT, and TE

https://www.twitch.tv/ky3217
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
This rule must be unique to college ball.
This is legal in the NFL too. The TE on the right is simply not an eligable reciever and the LT is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »