Home

Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks?

I didnt see a thread for this already, so sorry if there's one that I missed.

I'm playing on AA, default sliders. Ive played about 15 games against the CPU, against all different quality of teams. On average, I throw 2-4 picks a game, with a high of seven. The most frustrating part is that I run a very safe offense. I rarely throw deep down the field, and my offense is mostly based on comeback routes and playaction.

I want and like a challenge in the game, but in this year's game, the CPUs defenders, particularly strong safetys, seem to have an unhuman ability to change what they are doing in order to intercept a pass thrown to a reciever that they arent covering. Multiple times a game, I'll throw a pass to a reciever that should be very open, and the instant that I release the ball, a defender (again, usually a SS, but sometimes a LB) will break away from what he is doing to run to the exact spot that he needs to be in to pick the pass.

Anyone else struggling with this? IS there a way to get around it other than dumbing the CPU defense down via sliders?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks?

In my mind, the problem is that only defenders undercut throws and change direction to better be in position to make the play on the ball. Receivers just run their route and wait for the ball to land in their hands lol its ridiculous
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah it seems only the DBs really play the ball/run towards the ball/have awareness that a ball is in their vicinity. Receivers act like idiots in comparison, letting balls hit them in the head or running by while the corner/safety jumps for the ball.

I lower both the CPU and User INT to around 25 to limit high numbers of picks every game. It results in lot of dropped picks from both sides but it's better than the alternative IMO.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Pro

Speedy_Bronco's Arena

OVR: 7

I used to throw a ton of picks.

But most of those came off of curl routes where defenders would just run in front of the receivers on man coverage. I waited too long, on curl routes, you throw when the receiver begins to curl. Not after. And I fell victim.

Now I only throw picks on stupid throws. Which I think is fair, if I'm gonna throw terrible balls, they deserve to get picked off.

Are you just getting picked in general? Or are they just coming on throws that you aren't realizing that will always lead to picks?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

They seem legit this year, though. For the moment I am chalking it up to the fact that we got used to absolutely dreadful safety play, and now the safeties are doing their job. When I throw to open receivers, I don't get picked.

Also, I've found that on even some medium throws I need to lob it more. I had gotten used to zipping most throws on a line last year.

I'm not complaining, it's the only thing defenses do halfway decent this year, and it isn't ridiculous super linebackers or psychic DBs. They are actually in a position to make the play.

Incidentally, I've found that some receivers will generally win the battle with a DB while others will sit there and watch the DB intercept it. I'm not sure if that is awareness, but some skill or another has an impact in that regard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Are you just getting picked in general? Or are they just coming on throws that you aren't realizing that will always lead to picks?
Like anyone else, I throw stupid picks sometimes. where Im mad at myself as soon as I hit the button, but those arent what Im talking about here.

The ones that are getting to me are comback/hook routes, where the DB is playing way off of the WR, I throw the ball at a point where the DB covering the WR absolutely cannot make a play on it, and another player in the general area instantly breaks from covering his man, changes direction with inhuman ability practically defying physics, and runs 15-20 yards to the ball to make the play.

Or, alternatly, a throw to a man running a crossing route who has several steps on his man and no defender near him in the direction that he is moving. I throw the ball, its headed right to the spot it needs to be, and a player way downfield (close to the camera) breaks and runs in that direction, leaps, spinning in the air, covering way more ground than someone should be able to, and takes the ball away.

Plays that simply would not happen in real life, and in previous generations of Madden and NCAA would be safe, good decesions.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 6

I am also throwing lots of picks.

Last game I played with Florida offline in my dynasty threw 4 picks and my receivers dropped 9 total passes from Jeff Driskell. And I was playing against Arkansas at home in the rain...
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm playing on default AA but with the interception slider at 40 for both human and CPU. I only play offline dynasty mode and have the offensive/defensive pass interference sliders at default as well. Through week 8 I have yet to throw a single pick with Georgia and have only picked off 5 myself, 3 by one player in the same game. I have never been a fan of the comeback routs in the NCAA series due to the way the receivers play the ball. I like outs, drags, and in routs the best. If you are throwing a ton of picks on comeback routs then stop running them. I also read a thread a few months back where the Offense/Defense PI sliders can cause players to play more aggressive then they should. I use to set mine at 100 but after playing Madden 13 for about 2 weeks and 30 picks later I found that thread, made a change, and saw my INT totals drop. I now leave the PI at default as well as all other penalty sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »