Home

Building up a Small School

This is a discussion on Building up a Small School within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Building up a Small School

I'm playing with UTSA right now. I had to edit the roster a bit because they had 5'6" RB's with less than 80 spd and acc ratings. I didn't go overboard though. They have a couple of QB's with enough speed to break some runs and even some speed on D as well. I took over as their OC but I think I will hang around for a while. They have a few combos on uniforms between navy, white, and black or orange sock combos. They play in a dome and you get to recruit Texas. They are in Conference USA. The base playbook has 3 One Back sets, 6 I-From sets, 3 Pistol sets, and 7-10 Shotgun sets.

I am currently 2-5 but I have a really good 3* QB coming in next year along with some O-linemen.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Rookie

kolson82's Arena

OVR: 0

I had fun building Tulane up. Good area for recruiting (although it's really hard getting those recruits away from SEC and ACC schools) and decent offense. Defense is terrible, but you have Joe Montana's son as QB, a good backup QB that has some mobility, a good to very good RB (named Orelans Darkwa...I thought that name was fake until I looked it up), and a go-to receiver (and arguably the most talented in Conference USA) in Ryan Grant.

Give 'em a try. I like their unis, too. The green and white with the white helmets looks good.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Pro

superxero27's Arena

OVR: 2

Last couple years I started as a coordinator at Idaho ('12) and New Mexico St ('13).

Honestly, my favorite was Idaho. You don't really have much of a recruiting footprint so you're probably not going to get great talent, your in-state rival is far far and away way better than you, and (at least in '12) there were some interesting recruits in Canada that I could snag via proximity to home.

New Mexico State was fun, you're recruiting in between Pac-12 big boys and Big 12 big boys in Texas/California, you're in the middle of nowhere, and honestly I dig their stadium and last year's uniforms.
Moved on to UTSA, great uniforms, massive stadium for building potential.

This year I might roll with Texas State. You're lost in the shuffle of big- and medium-time schools in Texas, their stadium is nice, and their uniforms are pretty neat (i like the mix of maroon and that St-Louis Ram-like gold).

My teams:
NFL - Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals
NCAAF/B - Arizona Wildcats, Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, North Texas Mean Green

I find it amusing that the OS icon for NAU is 20 years (and three rebrands!) out of date.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunce5
This is for those of you that like the challenge of taking a small school, turning their program around, and even moving conferences and turning them into a powerhouse before you change schools. This is by far my favorite thing to do on NCAA. The only problem is, I have the hardest time picking a school so I'm asking for recommendations.

Preferably a 1 star, though I wouldn't mind a 2 star if I like the team. Overall team rating doesn't really matter, just as long as the HB has some good speed (around 88-90 at least) and the QB is at least faster than my grandpa. Uniforms are a huge factor. They've got to look good and have different combos. Also, not Wash St. I'd like to be able to move the team into a BCS conference.

Thanks in advance guys!
I'm using my hometown school this year, ODU.

There offense is decent (74ovr) the defense isn't great at (64 I think.)

They are an Independent this year and going into ConUSA next year. You also are in a good recruiting spot. Near NC, SC, TN, and close enough to GA, FL that you can snag some of those players. Texas is already a pipeline state for ODU, so that helps.

The first season you play with them the only positions of need are: K, FS. That also allows you freedom in grabbing players for future seasons.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Rookie

CurryStorm's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OReilly10
Try New Mexico State
Got interesting players on offense. Decent HB and QB with a little mobility and skill. One Decent WR. The rest of the team is pretty bad. 1 Star I think. Decent stadium, uniforms are cool, and opponents to start are varied and neat.
They also are Independant which will provide for some flexibility.
I've always wanted to take NMSU, but I just could never get over their Brawny Man logo.

The hardest would probably be to create a cupcake Teambuilder team in North or South Dakota. 10 or less recruits most of the time in both states. I'm sure someone's created North Dakota, ND State, South Dakota or SD State on Teambuilder. They're FCS schools so take them like they are or change their rosters to cupcake and have some fun.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

4 seasons to build up SJSU. Lost in the Hawaii Sheraton bowl 1st year to So Miss at the last second. 2nd year won the MAACO bowl against I think it was Toledo or something. In my 4th season on Heisman, last season won the natty against Ohio St 32-31. Got my first 4 star commit from Ohio in my 2nd year.(stole him from Ohio St. hehehehe)Guess who was the player of the game? He also won the Heisman last season due to his 2000+ rushing yds and 30+ TDs in what was an incredible Junior campaign. My 3 star ATH from Maine who is now my starting QB and in his senior year is now a 99 rating, I never expected him to contribute this much to the team. Oh and he was runner-up for the Heisman. SJSU is now an 88 rating overall and have established pipelines in Bama, Michigan and will soon get some pipelines running in Florida,Washington, and Texas. I'll give myself 5 seasons more tops to get to a 99 rating. I am for the life of me trying to raise the academic prestige but no avail.It's HELLA frustrating!!!! I mean IRL SJSU is at least a B when it comes to academics!!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
I like to see which schools are coming off of losing seasons and have first year head coaches, and choose from that pool. Seems more realistic that way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM2004
I like to see which schools are coming off of losing seasons and have first year head coaches, and choose from that pool. Seems more realistic that way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Southern Miss, C-USA, went 0-12 last year after 18-consecutive winning seasons between 1994 and 2011. New coach this year. Also, for history sake, during 1987-1990, they happened to have, oh Bret Favre, under center. Might be a two-star team. Brand new uniforms via uni store too.

Florida International, C-USA, went 3-9. New coach. Decent uniforms, not a fan of the Panther logo though.

New Mexico State might take the cake. The 1988 team was voted one of the worst college football teams of all time by ESPN. Fourth longest losing streak in Division I-A history, at 27 games. When they finally snapped the streak in 1992 they were ranked 106th in the nation, dead last, and upset the 105th ranked Cal State Titans...

Interesting side story about the '88 team, they hired a new assistant that year and during his first practice he exclaimed, "Lord, have mercy on our souls." Definitely a school that could use a jolt of success. Heading to the Sun Belt conference next year.

Western Michigan, MAC, went 4-8. New coach.

I'm sure there are others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »