Home

RTG as a RB at Georgia Tech is unplayable

This is a discussion on RTG as a RB at Georgia Tech is unplayable within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: RTG as a RB at Georgia Tech is unplayable

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_New_Classic
The point of this thread is that offensively you are on the field 99.9% of the plays (~60 plays per game on my quarter length) in the triple option offense as the starting RB and you will often get less than 5 touches per game. It's not like real life where people get less touches because they're always switching guys in and out and using different ball carriers.

I'm just letting people know that it's pointless to play at this school unless lead blocking almost every play is your cup of tea. I'm not trying to argue mindlessly with white knights that will defend the game no matter what. Just trying to save people the time from making the same mistake I did thinking being in the triple option offense as a RB would be fun.
Who's defending the game?

You're complaining about getting 4 carries as the starting running back at Georgia Tech, whenever you're the FOURTH option on that offense. The FOURTH.

You might as well have picked to be the fourth string running back on a team that runs a pro-style offense.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Who's defending the game?

You're complaining about getting 4 carries as the starting running back at Georgia Tech, whenever you're the FOURTH option on that offense. The FOURTH.

You might as well have picked to be the fourth string running back on a team that runs a pro-style offense.
Fourth? How so? #1 David Sims #2 Vad Lee #3 His guy. #4 backup AB He should be getting more carries considering the computer always takes the B-Back.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
Just started!

OVR: 0

In my RTG, I picked to play as Tebow at Navy (thinking, like the OP, that an option offense would be fun to run). Instead, I was treated to a pass-heavy flexbone offense. After 4 or 5 games, I had run one option play.

Those who are defending RTG by calling it realistic are not only forgetting that RTG isn't in the least bit realistic, they are also missing the point of the game mode. The user player should be getting carries just for the sake of making the mode playable and fun.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
MVP

bigbob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
Fourth? How so? #1 David Sims #2 Vad Lee #3 His guy. #4 backup AB He should be getting more carries considering the computer always takes the B-Back.
Because the quarterback counts as an option, too.. and the quarterback is the primary ball carry.. it's just his choice if he wants to give it off or not.

So, he will ALWAYS have to wait until the quarterback decides he's going to keep it.. or if he's going to give it off to Sims.. or if he's going to give it to Lee.. THAN he can think about getting the ball as the absolute last choice.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
MVP

bigbob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by person22132
In my RTG, I picked to play as Tebow at Navy (thinking, like the OP, that an option offense would be fun to run). Instead, I was treated to a pass-heavy flexbone offense. After 4 or 5 games, I had run one option play.

Those who are defending RTG by calling it realistic are not only forgetting that RTG isn't in the least bit realistic, they are also missing the point of the game mode. The user player should be getting carries just for the sake of making the mode playable and fun.
That's not how it should ever work, and that's exactly what's wrong with EA and conforming to the "casual" fans.

They shouldn't make a game for the sake of "making it fun" for someone who wants to carry the ball every plays, or put up 100 points.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Because the quarterback counts as an option, too.. and the quarterback is the primary ball carry.. it's just his choice if he wants to give it off or not.

So, he will ALWAYS have to wait until the quarterback decides he's going to keep it.. or if he's going to give it off to Sims.. or if he's going to give it to Lee.. THAN he can think about getting the ball as the absolute last choice.
Sims = 1 Keep = 2 pitch = 3. He should be the third option and still isn't getting the ball. Like I said, the defense always goes after Sims. He should be getting a good amount of carries. The way it's done on RTG is flawed
Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
This has already been broken down dude. Can people NOT do simple math?

Going off of 2012's stats for GT, the "pecking order" so-to-speak was basically:

Tevin Washington (#1 QB) - 177 carries
David Sims (#1 FB/B-Back) - 135 carries
Zach Laskey (#2FB/B-back) - 133 carries
Vad Lee (#2 QB) - 96 carries
Orwin Smith (#1 RB/A-Back) - 79 carries
Robert Godhigh (#2 RB/A-back) - 54 carries

Now, if we compare this to OP's "recent" game, this is what we'd get on a "per game" average (assuming it's a 14-game season):

Washington - 13 cpg
Sims - 10 cpg
Laskey - 9.5 cpg
Lee - 7 cpg
Smith (#1 HB) - 6 cpg (5.64)

Also, if we extrapolate OP's recent game to a 14 game season (since that's what GT played in 2012), let's see what we get:

#1 QB: 15 carries x 14 - 210 carries
#1 FB: 14 carries x 14 - 196 carries
#2 RB: 6 carries x 14 - 84 carries
#2 FB: 6 carries x 14 - 84 carries
#1 RB: 4 carries x 14 - 56 carries

Now, one might say that this proves nothing since there isn't as much "sharing" of the ball. BUT, let's look at GT's 2011 stats (13 game season):

Tevin Washington (#1 QB) - 243 car
David Sims (#1? FB/B-Back) - 135 car
Orwin Smith (#1 HB/A-back) - 61 car
Roddy Jones (#2 HB/A-back) - 57 car
Preston Lyons (#2?FB/ B-back) - 57 car
Synjyn Days (#2 QB) - 48 car

This looks a LOT closer to the "extrapolated" stats based on OP's post. Heck, we can even go to 2010:

Anthony Allen (#1 FB) - 240 car
Josh Nesbitt (#1 QB) - 166 car
Tevin Washington (#2 QB) - 116 car
Orwin Smith (#1 HB) - 53 car
Roddy Jones (#2 Hb) - 52 car
Embry Peeples (#3 HB) - 46 car

As you can see, the HB isn't necessarily the featured back in this offense. To add, the #1 HB and #2 HB seem interchangeable, since they'd likely both be on the field equally.And, as a matter of fact, if you were to look at YPC, you'd see that they're more or less the "home run hitters" in the offense while the B-backs and QBs do the heavy lifting. This goes back at least to 2008 (not sure how long they've been running Triple Option).

So yes, OP would be right in a sense. If he was looking to be a featured back, then GT would NOT be a good school for him. The offense isn't designed to feature the HB.

/rant (did I really have to break down an offense I know little about?)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

Post is too big to quote ^

I agree with everything you're saying Elevate, but why should the backup BB and especially the backup AB be getting more carries than him? That's the issue here. The game is flawed in how often it should give you the ball. The user should have priority over everyone else.

P.S Orwin Smith was our first big time playmaker AB at Tech and started the year off hurt and missed two games later in the year. Look at the spike at the end of the season right before he got hurt again. He also got injured right before halftime in the bowl game and didn't play the second half. He had 25 more carries than the second string (Godhigh) While being injured for quite a few games and missing two and a half.

P.S.S. Washington is gone and Sims should be healthy meaning 90% snaps for Lee and many more for Sims.

Bottom line, this is a video game and a mostly unrealistic one at that. RTG should give the ball to the user more often when in Tech's offense or one similar. It's also very hard to get upgrade points with so few carries and mostly short runs.

Last edited by GruffyMcGuiness; 07-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »