Home

Special Teams and Running the Ball Tips

This is a discussion on Special Teams and Running the Ball Tips within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Special Teams and Running the Ball Tips

I'm having a hard time breaking the big one. I'm playing on All-American and I can get a 12 yard pop every other set of downs, but I'm not able to break free and get past the secondary. Any tips? I try to look for a whole and then press L2 (turbo) and I make cuts with the left stick. Should I be holding turbo the whole time? When do I know to stiff arm, or juke, or spin?

Second, as far as special teams are concerned, I'd really like to improve my game here. I haven't blocked a punt yet but I've found that if you run punt safe man you usually get two guys down the middle who get close. Any tips on block fields and punts? And has anyone been able to return punts/kickoffs? I have returned one kickoff (game winning, it was awesome) for a TD the other day. I never seem to be able to get enough openings on punts though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Special Teams and Running the Ball Tips

This is a bump reply.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Turbo is R2 not L2.

Also, punt/field goal blocking is pretty much broken in this game, and I wouldn't bother trying to block kicks, as it never works unless you do some cheesy nano blitz or something.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

We haven't been able to block punts and fgs since the PS2/Xbox days so that's not gonna happen, as far as running try turning down the threshold.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks Haze. Do you mean the speed threshold? I have it at 25 on All-American but haven't yet broke one. I am a veteran player (since 04) so it's not like I suck. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

My apologies about L2. LOL. You're right. It is R2. Thankfully, my muscle memory is better than my letter/number memory so I have been pressing the right button in case you were wondering.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
Thanks Haze. Do you mean the speed threshold? I have it at 25 on All-American but haven't yet broke one. I am a veteran player (since 04) so it's not like I suck. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

My apologies about L2. LOL. You're right. It is R2. Thankfully, my muscle memory is better than my letter/number memory so I have been pressing the right button in case you were wondering.
Yes. I turn it off since it is supposed to make the biggest difference which the ratings should do anyway.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

1) there is no more turbo in this game. R2 does not make you run faster. DO NOT HOLD IT DOWN for long periods. It is now acceleration boost, use it to get to top speed then release. If you keep holding it down, you will run out of stamina and actually SLOW DOWN. This may be partly why you never break out long runs

2) You don't need to turn down threshold. It differentiates speed differences, but, it is easy to make speed matter too much, and past testing has shown that 50-60 is actually the most realistic setting.

3) stiff arms ('x' on PS3). They are extremely useful this year, and one on one with a DB, a good power or balanced HB can often gain 5-10 extra yards from this move if not completely breaking free of the tackle. Learn to use the juke/spin moves if you have speed HB.

The key to long runs is to be able to make at least the first DB in the open field miss. Do this enough and you'll break the occasional long run off

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »