Home

Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

This is a discussion on Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I really liked what Jay Bilas said on ESPN this morning.. he said if the NCAA players don't like the rule that they cant profit from autographs they should all go and purposely profit from autographs.. the NCAA cant ban them all or there would be no players. If there was ever a protest that was sure to work, it would be that.
WOW! He's so controversial! They should all throw their futures away so that the few idiots who get caught breaking the rules don't get punished! Bilas is a colossal d-bag.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeithappen
Pretty sure the kids get a free education, free housing, free food, access to some of the top athletic facilities in the world.... Get to be superstars on campus....

Also, I'm pretty sure they know all of this when they accept the scholarship. You don't have to like the rules, but it's still the rules. If Manziel can accept money to sign autographs, whats to stop someone from throwing 7,500 at him to shave a few points. It's a slippery slope.

Jay Bilas is acting like he's bringing to light something that has never been discussed(his smugness is why i hate him).... This has been talked about forever. You want to play in the NCAA, you gotta play by the rules. That's that.
This argument is thin. Any kid who gets a scholarship receives room and board and free education. But...the athletes don't get to have paying jobs like any of the other kids on scholarships. Beyond that, let's be real and think about how many of the college athletes are actually "stars" coupled with how many of them actually have parents who can afford to keep sending them money for food, gas, pay their car notes, pay their car insurance, etc. It's a very low percentage. I would estimate it's likely 3% of kids overall on scholarships. All other athletes on scholarships are NOT getting crap, and again, they CANNOT get a job. They aren't allowed to. That's a RULE, too. If you want to back the rules so much, then you need to back them all instead of being selective about them. So, the reality is that the rules are stupid. Let's define "stupid" fully, too: lacking in common sense. Now, let's define another word - Exploitation: to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc), especially unethically or unjustly for one's own ends and/or profit.

If you don't believe the kids playing college athletics are being exploited, then do some simple math. I want you to figure out what exactly the scholarship worth is that any/every player is worth - I mean, find out what the college has been "out" for only the exact length of time said kid was there. In fact, here...I'll do one for you...

If you are a non-resident of Texas, and you decide to attend Texas A&M on full scholarship, you are basically getting $38,701 dollars worth of free services, room and board per year. Okay, now, let's say you are such a great player right off the bat that you start year one and only play two years before going into the NFL draft. That's $77,402 worth of free services rendered to you. But...your jersey is worth no less than $50 a pop, and so is just a mock jersey or poly t-shirt with your same jersey number on it. Don't forget the ones for the ladies or the little kids stuff, too. Let's say a family of five buys gear with your jersey number on it. That's an easy $250. That means that in the course of just the first year you are a favorite player, only 1,549 people have to buy a jersey with your number (a jersey bearing your likeness because let's be real...it's you being awesome why they want it) just to make $77,402 dollars profit.....therefore making back the money spent on said player to be there for free. Now, use more common sense, please. You should easily understand that the kids are exploited because they are raking in far, far more profit than this little example.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Pretty sure the kids get a free education, free housing, free food, access to some of the top athletic facilities in the world.... Get to be superstars on campus....

Also, I'm pretty sure they know all of this when they accept the scholarship. You don't have to like the rules, but it's still the rules. If Manziel can accept money to sign autographs, whats to stop someone from throwing 7,500 at him to shave a few points. It's a slippery slope.
Manziel is a bad example because I think his parents have money, but I'd think a player getting a couple thousand a month to pay for food/car/entertainment/etc is a lot less likely to take the $7500 payout to shave points than a guy barely, or not, scraping by.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Rookie

I'm not going to continue having this argument with you. I just want you to know, that what you are suggesting would completely ruin college football. Also, if you start as a true freshman and a true sophomore, you ain't going to the NFL the next year.

And I won't break down how business works, but you are mistaken if you think Tom Brady makes 50 bucks off every jersey of his that is sold with his name on the back.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

Quote:
I'm not going to continue having this argument with you. I just want you to know, that what you are suggesting would completely ruin college football. Also, if you start as a true freshman and a true sophomore, you ain't going to the NFL the next year.

And I won't break down how business works, but you are mistaken if you think Tom Brady makes 50 bucks off every jersey of his that is sold with his name on the back.
These arguments are thin, too. If paying players ruins sports, then why is the NFL rated higher than college football? Why is the Arena League even still active? I can understand that the pros are the best of the best, and far fewer teams, but it's still athletes getting fat sums of money...and yet it's rarely a guy that just quits and becomes a fat leech wasting his team's resources. There's been one instance of Albert Haynesworth and one major waste in Jamarcus Russell in how many years? The rest of them are all legitimately busting their butts.

And Brady...Brady doesn't need $50 for every $250 dollar jersey sold because he gets paid already by his team. Still, the fact is this: Per the NFLPA and the CBA, all jersey sales are pooled together, and each player gets percentages of a percentage after the merch and owners get their cuts. What this does is prevent mass animosity as well as prevents individual players from doing what college athletes may choose to do in selling autographs a-la what Manziel is accused of.

So you see...the NCAA looks more and more exploitative as you try debating on.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Rookie

You're right... So i have a great freshman year at Minnesota and I'm not happy with the amount of Merch sales because the fan base isn't big enough. Maybe I'll talk to my agent and get a transfer to a bigger market team with a larger fan base. Larger fan base = more merch = more autographs = more money.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

Quote:
You're right... So i have a great freshman year at Minnesota and I'm not happy with the amount of Merch sales because the fan base isn't big enough. Maybe I'll talk to my agent and get a transfer to a bigger market team with a larger fan base. Larger fan base = more merch = more autographs = more money.
You can't have an agent in the NCAA. If you could, then your argument is valid. I'm going to assume you are fearful that would happen. It might could, but you'd still have other rules in place to debate that are stupid, too...like having to sit out a year or so per eligibility and such. It all rolls together into a bigger ball of a problem that is this...

Only the athletes at colleges, never any other kid on scholarship going to whatever college that has to deal with these issues. Why? The easy answer is because said colleges want them on their team (which is why they recruited them to annoying degrees in the first place, obviously) so that their team wins and their team makes more money. Money, money, money. They go after these kids as early as 12 years old these days (even younger per AAU basketball, now) for the express purpose of dollar signs. Why should you ever expect a kid or their parents to not want some of the mass profits, too? It's insane to expect otherwise.

Oh, and certain colleges have unfair advantages already, anyway. Minnesota doesn't have the prestige of Alabama, for example. Bring money into the equation based on prestige percentages, and Alabama wins easily again. BUT...think of this...what if it becomes an NFLPA/CBA type of pooled/equal percentages system? Then, suddenly, every team can only offer the same pay only. That levels the playing field like it has never been before. Then...Minnesota can pay a kid the same thing Alabama would...and that kid may well stay at Minnesota making them far more relevant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Rookie

The agent remark obviously went over your head. This argument is pointless. Agree to disagree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »