Home

Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

This is a discussion on Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

I think this is a very interesting debate.

To me it is clear that a change is coming, maybe a lot sooner than later. I think the case for the athletes is getting stronger and stronger. I understand those who side with NCAA/universities, but this is becoming a pretty huge deal.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

No, I clearly explained my thoughts on your agent remark, just like I clearly explained my stance on previous thin arguments. You don't have to get cranky about it.

I was hoping you'd understand overall that more good will come from paying kids than not. Money can and should level the playing field out there per merchandise, et al. Distributing the wealth accordingly could cut down on the sketchiness a lot, I'd think. More over, what about the kids that absolutely get destroyed in college and never make it? Ryan Swope was a beast at Texas A&M, but due to concussions, he's already retired from the Arizona Cardinals. He'd have made the team, too. He's solid. Over already, though. He is cut short of NFL profits and sadly will never see a dime TAM made off of him being not just Manziel's go-to-guy, but he was solid for Ryan Tannehill before, too.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Soooo since you're an NCAA athlete you can't sell your own stuff or sign autographs to make money. Can somebody tell me why? I don't really see a justifiable reason for this.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well we can no longer give out academic scholarships to smart in-state kids who don't play sports, because we have use that money to pay our players now. Let's change the whole dynamic without even thinking of the consequences. Alabama tickets are expensive enough as it is. The price will surely be put on the consumer.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

I really don't agree with paying NCAA players because that's not going to stop them from breaking NCAA rules. Heck it's common since, anybody who makes money, (no matter how much it is) is going to want more money. And if they do pay players, it should be the same amount for every player on the team, anyway...
I just want to know the reason why players can't sell their own stuff and sign autographs to make money?

Last edited by ghettogeeksta; 08-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Rookie

alemic's Arena

OVR: 4

I think we all understand that the NCAA is making a ton of money off of the players but the thing is the money goes to other places. Not all of it goes back into the CEO's pocket, a lot of it goes towards other sports, other scholarships, funding for research, and countless other things that the university NEEDS in order to succeed outside of football.

Sure playing the players makes the football aspect of everything look "better" (though I disagree) you are going to be taking away a lot of things from the rest of the university. Many schools use their football programs to build up their academics and pay for other things. If Ohio State starts paying Miller 100k a year (just an example) they are going to have to pay every other player the same amount or else you are just turning the NCAA into the NFL with colleges.

How would you like to see the players who try to go and build a program up no longer want to do that because Ohio State can pay them 300k a year and Eastern Michigan can't even afford to buy them lunch? If you start to pay the players sure the big time school might be ok but what about the small schools? They would be far worse than they are now. Do you like to see the Boise State's, Northern Illinois teams make runs into the BCS and play Cinderella? Well once you start paying these players I promise you that is over. The NCAA would become a complete joke with a few really good teams and the rest of the league falling further and further behind each year. Imagine if after college the players could CHOOSE what NFL team they wanted to go to. I promise you 90% of them are going to go to playoff caliber teams and the process continues. There is a reason we have the NFL draft the way it is, and there is a reason they do not pay the players. It is to keep a level playing field across all teams.

Whether or not you believe ALL of the money made is going to good use (I don't think anybody does) At least SOME of it does. There are many things you have to think about and there are other schools than just Ohio State, Alabama, USC, and Texas.

And if you try to argue that the player can use his name to make money off of autographs, jerseys, etc. its just like the guy a few posts back said why would he play at Minnesota when he can transfer to Ohio State or Alabama and make 10x the amount of money. Until you can find me a system where ALL teams are given a fair chance at paying the players and it will not have an impact on the way recruits choose their school I do not believe paying players is the right idea.
9-4 Sun Belt Champs
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #23
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeithappen
Well we can no longer give out academic scholarships to smart in-state kids who don't play sports, because we have use that money to pay our players now. Let's change the whole dynamic without even thinking of the consequences. Alabama tickets are expensive enough as it is. The price will surely be put on the consumer.
The players don't have to be paid by the university.. just let them be able to profit from their autographs.. that's what this is about
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeithappen
Pretty sure the kids get a free education, free housing, free food, access to some of the top athletic facilities in the world.... Get to be superstars on campus....

Also, I'm pretty sure they know all of this when they accept the scholarship. You don't have to like the rules, but it's still the rules. If Manziel can accept money to sign autographs, whats to stop someone from throwing 7,500 at him to shave a few points. It's a slippery slope.

Jay Bilas is acting like he's bringing to light something that has never been discussed(his smugness is why i hate him).... This has been talked about forever. You want to play in the NCAA, you gotta play by the rules. That's that.
and im sure Alabama has a higher pay role than the jacksonville jaguars

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »