Home

Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

This is a discussion on Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #33
Rookie

Riggins's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeithappen
Pretty sure the kids get a free education, free housing, free food, access to some of the top athletic facilities in the world.... Get to be superstars on campus....

Also, I'm pretty sure they know all of this when they accept the scholarship. You don't have to like the rules, but it's still the rules. If Manziel can accept money to sign autographs, whats to stop someone from throwing 7,500 at him to shave a few points. It's a slippery slope.

Jay Bilas is acting like he's bringing to light something that has never been discussed(his smugness is why i hate him).... This has been talked about forever. You want to play in the NCAA, you gotta play by the rules. That's that.
You make points, I don't think NCAA athletes should be payed to play. But they should be payed when money's made off of them. NFL players can make money off of stuff like that and you don't see throwing games for money. People don't associate the jerseys with the school, they associate the jerseys with the player. I was at a store here in South Carolina the other day and I told my buddy something like "That's an old Stephen Garcia jersey haha." Sure it didn't have his name on it, but any USC fan is going to look at that and know it's a Garcia jersey.

Just like in the video game, where Texas A&M has a QB that has the same number as Johnny Manziel, same build, similar hometown, looks and plays just like him, but we're supposed to believe that's not supposed to be Johnny Manziel? They're making money off of his name, but they shun the idea of him making money off of his name. Is it because they think it's bad for him as a young adult? No, they know he's going to the NFL in a year to make just as much money. The ONLY reason why it bothers the NCAA is bc he's taking away money (that he rightfully deserves) that the NCAA could be making.

And of course these guys go to school for free. If the football team isn't good, the team doesn't generate all that much money. I go to a somewhat smaller school, Coastal Carolina University. If Clowney for example played at our school, we'd be generating millions more dollars.

Fratagonia on YouTube, Fratagonia Sports Gaming.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky3217
The fact is, everything a college athlete needs is provided by the scholarships. Housing, food, even clothes are provided by the scholarship and team. And on top of that, they get a free education. They dont need to be paid.

Compare them to the average college student who pays their way through school. When they're done, they'll be neck deep in debt. Paying it off for years to come, even with their degree.

A scholarship athlete has two possible scenarios when they finish school. They'll be playing their sport professionally, or they'll have graduated debt free, with a degree.

You can argue that the NCAA is exploiting athletes (despite the fact that the money from jersey sales, etc goes right back to the school and sports program), but you can not argue that the athletes should be paid.

So...you walk everywhere you go up there in Michigan...in the Winter, even? I didn't think so. Transportation is a necessity, and no matter if their car, a friend's car, public transit...there's going to be costs.

Don't tell me what I can't do, either...especially after I've already done it.

Oh...and this... http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...lling-business
Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 1
I ****ing hate Jay Bilas with a passion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer
I couldn't disagree more.

The search feature was used to get people to buy Clowney jerseys not South Carolina Jerseys. What other business gets to make 100% profit, and pay its employees (Student-Athletes) none.

This is coming from a guy who played in college. NCAA takes advantage of its cash cow, plain and simple
Give me a damn break. Those kids don't have to play college football. They aren't forced to do anything. It FACT they are given free tuition and room and board and I can guarantee the ones at big schools are getting paid. Oh but lets not thank the schools for giving away free stuff. Lets demonize them for being smart business owners. You all sound like a bunch of ****ing douchbag liberals.

I am so sick of hearing about this ****. I say let them turn pro after high school and then they have no complaint. They can go straight to the pros if they are good enough and make money. If not, then they can go to college and get an education and play ball.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
This argument is thin. Any kid who gets a scholarship receives room and board and free education. But...the athletes don't get to have paying jobs like any of the other kids on scholarships. Beyond that, let's be real and think about how many of the college athletes are actually "stars" coupled with how many of them actually have parents who can afford to keep sending them money for food, gas, pay their car notes, pay their car insurance, etc. It's a very low percentage. I would estimate it's likely 3% of kids overall on scholarships. All other athletes on scholarships are NOT getting crap, and again, they CANNOT get a job. They aren't allowed to. That's a RULE, too. If you want to back the rules so much, then you need to back them all instead of being selective about them. So, the reality is that the rules are stupid. Let's define "stupid" fully, too: lacking in common sense. Now, let's define another word - Exploitation: to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc), especially unethically or unjustly for one's own ends and/or profit.

If you don't believe the kids playing college athletics are being exploited, then do some simple math. I want you to figure out what exactly the scholarship worth is that any/every player is worth - I mean, find out what the college has been "out" for only the exact length of time said kid was there. In fact, here...I'll do one for you...

If you are a non-resident of Texas, and you decide to attend Texas A&M on full scholarship, you are basically getting $38,701 dollars worth of free services, room and board per year. Okay, now, let's say you are such a great player right off the bat that you start year one and only play two years before going into the NFL draft. That's $77,402 worth of free services rendered to you. But...your jersey is worth no less than $50 a pop, and so is just a mock jersey or poly t-shirt with your same jersey number on it. Don't forget the ones for the ladies or the little kids stuff, too. Let's say a family of five buys gear with your jersey number on it. That's an easy $250. That means that in the course of just the first year you are a favorite player, only 1,549 people have to buy a jersey with your number (a jersey bearing your likeness because let's be real...it's you being awesome why they want it) just to make $77,402 dollars profit.....therefore making back the money spent on said player to be there for free. Now, use more common sense, please. You should easily understand that the kids are exploited because they are raking in far, far more profit than this little example.
I do think players should get an allowance since they can't have jobs. But they all need to get the same amount or each school can only give out the exact same amount.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #38
Rookie

Razorback73's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeithappen
The players aren't allowed to make money. The search feature is to make things easier for the customer. Jay Bilas is a d-bag.
Well, but here's the problem with using a player's name to "make things easier for the customer".

From the NCAA bylaws: "12.5.2.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete. After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual: (a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind."

Oops. Those names were definitely used for that purpose, but definitely without the permission of the players, though. This has happened on local levels before, and the schools come down hard on the businesses that use the player name/image to make sure there's no eligibility question with the NCAA. So I guess to make sure everything's okay eligibility-wise, every player whose name led to a product page needs to have their school contact the NCAA to tell them this isn't cool. (Note that the rules say it doesn't matter if the athlete is paid or not.)

Couldn't agree more with you on the Jay Bilas opinion.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
Play With Integrity

HARTSTOPPER's Arena

OVR: 20

The biggest issue with this whole ordeal is the hypocrisy of the NCAA as a whole.

Example A:

Here is Julio Jones in college at Alabama. When Julio committed to Alabama and was assigned a number guess what started popping up in NCAA stores? a #8 jersey. They were everywhere. To someone who has no idea who Julio was in college, it's easy for them to just see a #8 Alabama jersey and think nothing of it. Julio Jones has been out of college for a couple of years now, and take a look at the following link

Alabama Football Jerseys

You don't see many #8 jerseys at all. However, you see more than a few #10 jerseys. #10 just happens to be the number worn by starting QB AJ McCarron. You can do this for any college out there. The fact of the matter is that the NCAA was making money off the jersey sales off of the star power of players.

This is the same thing that the video game lawsuit against EA sports is recognizing. EA was using player likeness in their video games and the players were not being compensated for it. The players in NCAA have EVERY detail about them adjusted to look just like them. They just don't have the names on the back.

--

I don't know what kind of compensation the players should get, but they need to get something from it. They spend so much time either at practice, or traveling for games that they can't have a job. Yet only a handful of guys actually make it to the NFL.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #40
Pro

laxman490's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Lets demonize them for being smart business owners.
Smart business owners?! Are you kidding me? The are getting basically free labor from college students. And please don't tell me that a $40000 scholarship is equal to the money the stars are bringing in.

Hell in 10 years the will be an "NFL development league" where players are paid and your lsu football will become nothing

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »