Home

what determines a player getting drafted?

This is a discussion on what determines a player getting drafted? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
Rookie

wtd03's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: what determines a player getting drafted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres32
Overall rating of a player should be eliminated. There needs to be some other way of rating a player because my WR is having a monster season and since hes only an 88 overall he will not be drafted.
Yea EA thought it was a good idea to threshold it based on height and weight.

I had a HB that broke all records and won heisman. Ran for 4000 yards. Didnt get drafted but graduated because he was 5'10 175. The 175 pounds messed it up. I wish I had found this thread earlier.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

There should be more randomness involved or the pool should just be expanded in transition.

Not every Heisman/Doak Walker/Davey O'Brien/Lombardi Award winner turns into a beast in the NFL.

By the same token, not every 6'0 or less QB or 5'8 RB gets passed up by the NFL.

By the next generation of games, Madden should really just pull in the top 50 or so OVR players at each position from the NCAA import. Madden should still run its evaluation/scheme process (and expand on it) so that it's harder for a small player to succeed but just like every real life GM, those players are still "available" to choose from.

If after maybe a year of sitting in the now large free agent pool (combined with all the other NFL FA's) they don't get signed, the game deletes them and moves on. But if you aren't scared off by a 6'0 QB or a 5'8 scatback-style RB in your system you should be able to give them a shot, even if it's just to a practice squad or something (if it existed).
Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Rookie

Yeah, I ran into the same issues as well when I noticed some top flight players not getting drafted based on height and weight. I personally believe that players being determined for the draft in NCAA 14 should be solely based on ratings, nothing else.

Each position should have had a cut off rating set at 88 because many of these top players will have significantly lower ratings before the draft even happens in Madden 25, so it was weird to see NCAA 14 feature actual draft selections since we don't know who will draft what in Madden 25 or how well the players will do at the combine and pro days.

This was pretty lazy on EA's part because the projected draft stuff was fine with last year's NCAA game, but it needed to be taken out in this one since we are able to export draft classes. An even better option that would have been perfect would have been adding a tab labeled "Pro Potential" in the players stats window and it would tell you that player's chance of making the NFL, and it would update each off-season or after significant injuries.

But Madden 25 should strip down the draft class, not NCAA 14.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Well, they have the round the player was drafted in for a few reasons:

1) not everyone plays Madden who plays NCAA. It has to be able to be a stand alone feature.

2) You can look at it as where the player will be rated in the Madden draft, and likely taken by CPU teams. Madden gives the incoming rookies a projected grade, and I'll assume (possibly to be wrong) that the round that they're "drafted" in NCAA is the same as they'll be when you go through the draft in Madden.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

I doubt Madden will reflect much accuracy when it comes to what was in the Draft Results of NCAA. I just want there to be a good mix of consistency in top flight players, while still creating NFL gems and busts. I just don't expect them to ever get this right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Taylor Martinez went in the 2nd round while McCarron went in the 5th for me.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »