Home

Post Your Plays

This is a discussion on Post Your Plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Post Your Plays

Hopefully, this turns into one of those old-school, insightful, thought provoking threads that helps players get better at the game.

When you post, cover an offensive play you run with as much detail as possible. Describe some of your favorites. I'll begin:

Formation: Pistol - Full House
Package: WR Backfield
Root Play: PA Comeback
Pre-Snap: The WR in the backfield will be on the right side and I will motion him out to the right slot. This places him on the same side of the field as the primary receiver running the comeback. I'll then hot route the slot receiver to a streak.
Post-Snap: Hopefully, the playaction is successful. As the Quarterback holds the ball, it's very natural to roll out to the right slightly and you can do this to varying degrees depending on the pass rush.

The streak-comeback combo puts tremendous pressure on the defense regardless of their scheme. It's very unlikely an OLB who is hugging the line of scrimmage because of a run oriented formation can get back in time to assist much, especially due to the playaction.

Read it long to short. Hopefully, the slot guy streaks past everyone and gets open deep. The comeback will often times be open in man coverage or Cover 2/3 because the defense will take away the deep ball.

You also have the fullback flaring to the play side if you so choose. If the OLB just shoots backwards, don't be afraid to dump it off and pick up 7-8 yards. Lastly, the backside receiver will run some form of backside route, either a drag, post, or 90* hard in at the first down marker depending on your preference.

Please discuss your own plays as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Post Your Plays

Formation: Shotgun Split Backs
Play: Shakes

2 outside WR's run the route where they start like a slant then go up field and break towards the corner. Slot WR runs a similar route that breaks towards to post. Both backs head to the flats

Destroys anybody running cover 2 and is pretty effective against man also. Cover 3 can give it a little bit of trouble but very few players or the CPU actually run it. I love to run the triple option and some other running plays out of this formation to lure the defense in before running it. Great play and a fun formation
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Rookie

Formation: Shotgun - Split Slot (QB with a back to his left and to his right) Play: Deep Curls WRs: X-receiver split left by himself, two on the right This is one of my go-to plays on 3rd down. The base play is the three WRs run deep (10-ish yards) curls, left RB slips out to the flats, right RB runs an angle route out the backfield and then cuts across the middle. Preplay setup is can give you some added advantages. If the DB is manned up on my X-receiver to jam him, I usually hot route him to a fly route, especially if there's just one safety over the top. Also, if the DBs are playing off the WRs, often times I'll hot route one of the outside WRs to a deep comeback route and hit his outside shoulder. Last but not least, if there's single LB coverage, 9 times out of 10, the RB running the angle route will be open, it just depends on how much yardage you want/need and how much time you have for it to develop. Also key is the timing and placement of the throws on the deep curls. I throw it before he breaks off the route, otherwise the DB has entirely too much time to break on the ball. I also throw the ball low a lot of times to give the DB less of a window to bat the ball down. Regardless of any hot routes I may do, my first read is always the X on the left by himself. Second read is the angle route out the backfield. I never get past my second read.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I run 4 WR trio with my #2 WR on the #2 CB alone on the left side.

The pattern that looks like a C with the outside receivers is money as stated above. This is doubly so if you roll to that side and get the attention of the CB!

Slant from one side of the field to the other while rolling to that side is money, throw or run.. make that choice at the last second.

Outside Speed WR vs. Cover 3. Toss a medium ball (not lob, not bullet) as the WR is even with the CB retreating to play the deep zone. It is not money, but roughly 25% of the time you can complete it for big yards. This pattern against cover 2 is suicide.

Comebacks vs. Cover 3, when mixed in with the above route are deadly. Catch the ball and spin, sometimes you can break a long run for a TD.

The route that looks like an S. After running streaks, comebacks, and Slants, this pattern can throw the CB covering your #1, #2 WR off enough to get open for 30.

4 WR streaks, on the 3 WR side of the trio audible R1 to slant in, X will be a deep post. Throw to the one that the MLB does not cover.

My offense is all about finding the bad matchups and exploiting those until the CPU figures it out, then exploit that fact by doing something different for big yards. An example is throwing an outside streak 3x in a row, then when they go into cover 2, throw a streak that splits the cover 2 zone in the middle.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I mostly operate out of singleback with posse personal (3 WR)
Pretty basic stuff really; read the defense and attack the weakness. My audibles are set up to beat common coverages.

Slot - Curl Flats -- Safe cover three beater. The guy on the wide side (slot or TE) hot route to run slant (protection against zone blitz) while the wr on that side hot route to a deep out. I don't like symmetry.

y trips -smash -- preferred cover two beater. Everyone should know the smash concept.

y trips - stick -- all around safe play whenever I need 4 to 7 yards. A go to play for second down

y trips - Mesh -- Man beater that should be a part of everyone's offense.

slot -X fork -- beats anything less than cover 3. To make it beat cover 3 I hot route strong side to give a curl flat look. This is one of my favorite chunk plays. X is lined up tight and inside of the slot wr. Instead of running a normal corner route he takes wide loop similar to what is seen in corner strike. It destroys man and the slot WR running the post draws the safety. Timing can be tricky but the play is deadly.

slot - z close series -- 3 awesome chunk plays. There is z close cross, corner, and curl.
Cross is the best; if Z is not open X runs a awesome corner type route that beats most coverages. Problem is it takes longer than what I like to develop so anything more than a 5 man rush forget it. It also takes a while to get the timing down but once you do have fun.
Corner is best used after setting them up with the cross. Z aligns close and runs corner. Now if he is on the wide side of the field that gives a lot of space to throw the corner. Cover 3 is the defense's best chance but the slot runs a crossing route that beats that. Make the right read, get the yards.

y trips - RB choice -- Contrary to the name the RB is not my first read. The TE and slot run clearouts for the dig route ran by Z. The RB draws the underneath defenders. Beats most 3rd down coverages but the deep in takes a while to develop. If I see blitz I either look for the TE on the seam route or if it is pre snap and it looks like the TE is covered I play it safe nd check down to stick. I do not want to take sack while waiting for the dig route.

Of course there is more to my offense, but these are some of my favorite plays
Edit: Forgot to mention that 90% of my offense consists of 3 and 5 step drops. I do not like sitting round in the pocket waiting for anything. So when I say something takes too long to develop, keep in mind that I try to get the ball out s quickly as possible

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 08-13-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Regarding the "Smash" concept, I like to hot route the flanker who would ordinarily run the little hitch on the outside to a drag route.

It still has the desired effect of holding the defensive back, but it also allows you to hit the receiver in stride if he's open and he can get up field at full speed.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
Regarding the "Smash" concept, I like to hot route the flanker who would ordinarily run the little hitch on the outside to a drag route.

It still has the desired effect of holding the defensive back, but it also allows you to hit the receiver in stride if he's open and he can get up field at full speed.
That's my hot route also.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Rookie

I'm really digging this thread. I'm relatively new here but this place needs a strategy sub-forum. All in favor??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »