Home

SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

This is a discussion on SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: SEC Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I feel for those gamers that enjoy collegiate football games but for someone like me that prefers NFL gaming, there is a potential silver lining to no more NCAA Football. Maybe EA will finally add everything football they can to Madden instead of this asinine obsession with adding some to one of their football titles and not the other, to differentiate. I really can't believe the number of things that are universal to representing football that aren't shared by both games, so if NCAA Football does unfortunately get scrapped, maybe they will at least bring more of its' applicable features into Madden.
You may find it to be the opposite of this. There will be fewer overall resources devoted to football games which isn't going to help madden.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Blaming the Players is easy and Lazy?
UCLA provided Ed O'Bannon with a free education, food, and healthcare valued at over $100,000.

ULCA and the NCAA provided a platform for Ed O'Bannon to showcase his talents and provided him with National exposure to build his personal Brand.

In 1995 Ed O'Bannon signed a 3-year $3.9 million dollar contract.

So now it's EA sports fault and the NCAA that Ed O'Bannon squander his riches? And he is trying to get a small piece of something he was already compensated for, but not in the way he wanted it?

it's easy to say pay the players, the NCAA makes money on them. But let me ask you a question. How many ppl on OS could name the top 25 minor league baseball players in this country? Now how man ppl on OS can name the top 25 collegiate football players? The NCAA and it's member university provide these players with unprecedented exposure to build their brands and get a free education. The "student-athlete" has to recognize that opportunity and make the most of it.
UCLA did provide that for him to play basketball plus several other things in the contract that no 18 year olds understand which is why the NCAA is losing. If you're one of these trying to dump on O'Bannon I suggest you read Taylor Branch's "The Shame of College Sports", the history of the NCAA as he broke down the decades long corruption of the NCAA. People commenting and defending the NCAA put blinders on and use the same lazy reasoning you are using because Branch, as others have, show a picture of the NCAA that details the corruption of the NCAA. Just about everyone who has read it has the same views I have, the NCAA deserves no benefit of the doubt as it had a lock on everything over everyone and now it's beginning to break as it should. Players and others have been taken advantage of for decades and here are people on these boards whining about how they might now have their favorite video game to play. I have bought NCAA Football every year since it was on the Sega Genesis, love this game but unlike so many on here the NCAA deserves what is coming to them and those of us that play NCAA Football will pay a small price of not getting to play our favorite video game. The NCAA is losing for a reason, because of it's own corruption and greed but since the NCAA is an organization people turn their wrath on who they know and have seen, the players. If the NCAA was so great you would see players lining up to defend them but you don't and not many coaches or college presidents are defending them either, that should tell you something.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #75
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The SEC Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

The only problem I'm seeing with everyone's ideas is that they can't exactly call it the Southern Conference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #76
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I wonder if O'Bannon even realizes what he's done. And if he does, if he cares at all. Taking years of enjoyment away from millions of people, for personal greed. Certainly the calling card of a villain.
How dare he object to video game companies, schools, and the NCAA making money on his, and other players', names and not be happy about it. All he needs is a mustache to twirl and he would be the perfect villain.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #77
Pro

Haze88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite49
Well since EA pretty much stops development on their NCAA/Madden games MONTHS before release, expect College Football 15 to be terrible. They'll be sitting back this entire year waiting on conferences/teams and whether of not to remove them/make new ones entirely. Who really wants a half-assed game with a real team taking on a fake team?
We do that now. I'm killing FCS NW right now! But in all seriousness playing a dynasty with half your conference given the FCS treatment (if your conference was even in the game) would be tragic. The Holy War between BC and South Bend or completing for the Atlantic Conference Championship doesn't quite have that same ring to it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Blaming the Players is easy and Lazy?
UCLA provided Ed O'Bannon with a free education, food, and healthcare valued at over $100,000.

ULCA and the NCAA provided a platform for Ed O'Bannon to showcase his talents and provided him with National exposure to build his personal Brand.

In 1995 Ed O'Bannon signed a 3-year $3.9 million dollar contract.

So now it's EA sports fault and the NCAA that Ed O'Bannon squander his riches? And he is trying to get a small piece of something he was already compensated for, but not in the way he wanted it?

it's easy to say pay the players, the NCAA makes money on them. But let me ask you a question. How many ppl on OS could name the top 25 minor league baseball players in this country? Now how man ppl on OS can name the top 25 collegiate football players? The NCAA and it's member university provide these players with unprecedented exposure to build their brands and get a free education. The "student-athlete" has to recognize that opportunity and make the most of it.
By the way, comparing minor league baseball and college players is a horrible comparison. Minor league players may not have the same publicity but they are getting paid, they don't have thousands of rules to follow, they can spend their money how they want, they can invest their money how they see fit, NCAA players cannot. Jadeveon Clowney has created more money for the university than they have invested in him and we can go down the line of players who have made money more than enough to pay for their own scholarships. I don't buy into the idea of student-athlete because it's being naïve because no one outside of a handful of people really care about them as students, they care about how they perform on the field and their scholarship is based upon athletics not academics. Also, their scholarships can be revoked for almost any reason no matter how well they are doing academically. I hope they take advantage of their opportunity but I'm under no illusion as to why they are there and I'm saying that as a former high school teacher who has had a few students get athletic scholarships to universities. I care about them completely because I knew them but even they cared more about athletics than their academics and I definitely know the only reason coaches came around was for their athletic talent. I'm fine with that, it's how the game is played and it still gives them opportunities which is great but I'm not going to pretend college sports is about academics because it isn't.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #79
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

This is much worse news, IMO, than when the NCAA decided to drop EA. The SEC is a juggernaut in college football, and if they decide not to come forward and be a part of the game, than I can't really see anyone else doing it. There may be a way around all of this, but for now, this looks an awful lot like the first rock to fall in what might end up an avalanche.

The only fix I see is to move forward and start paying players. At that point, I can't imagine the NCAA or any of the conferences having a problem being a part of EA's games.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 39

Honestly, I think I'd be OK with a game that allows you to:
  • Delete/Add custom conferences with custom logos
  • Setup a custom playoff with anywhere from 4-16 teams (and choose the tie-ins/locations)
  • Edit existing uniforms
  • Edit existing team names & logos
  • Edit existing field & stadium art

College Football 15 could potentially be the hardcore user's best game ever IF....IF EA gives us the tools to do it. I'd rather have a football game with 130 generic slots with no restrictions and a ton of customizational options, than something thats rigid. Insert TeamBuilder overhaul here. Also, I'm pretty sure Nike, Under Armour, and Adidas would still be around for things like gloves, visors, cleats - not to mention helmet manufacturers.

Last edited by sportzbro; 08-14-2013 at 12:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »