Home

What happened to player control?

This is a discussion on What happened to player control? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11
What happened to player control?

I'll start by saying I've been playing EA football games for 15 years or so. On defense, I always would control a LB (generally the MLB, but depending on the formation, OLB as well). It was the best way to make an impact in the run and pass game. Over the years I got better and better controlling the LB and I had a lot of success playing defense. I was very good dropping into a zone and defending the middle of the field as well as shutting down outside runs. I'm by no means a wizard with the sticks, but I became pretty good at it and I won a lot of games running a ball control offense combined with a solid defense.

This was mostly on the PS2 versions. Then next gen came along and it took some adjusting, but I eventually got the hang of it, and then the last few versions of the game, specifically NCAA, player control went out the window. Yeah sure, you can switch to a defender last second and user pic a ball, that's not really what I'm referring to though. I just feel I have no impact whatsoever on the defensive side of the ball. So much so that I find my self controlling the defender with the least amount of responsibility and just hoping not to mess up. And I'm not the only one it seems, as I see playing online, that no one really controls LB's anymore. I would say 90% of the people play with a DLineman. I also see people running defenders to the ball carrier and then switching off and letting the CPU make the tackle. That would never happen before (especially god players). I know part of the problem is offensive players move way too fast, they make unrealistic cuts and receivers break out of the routes at unreal speeds.

I contemplated making a thread last week out of rage but decided not to. Then I downloaded the Madden 25 demo yesterday and played a few games. The game is far from perfect, but I couldn't help but notice how much more control you have over defensive players. I was playing with Seattle and controlling Bobby Wagner (MLB) and I was actually able to cover the seam and intercept a TE post. It felt so good. And all I could think about was how there's no way that would happen in NCAA. I get abused by TE's all the time.

So how does NCAA, a game that uses the same core engine as Madden, feel so different? I know it's kind of late in the game to be expecting a fix, but I'm curious of others' opinions. College Football is my favorite sport and I'd much rather play it than Madden, but it's not really fun when games come down to who has the ball last.

Last edited by gator3guy; 08-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What happened to player control?

The faint ramuloid receptor is sluggish. Input machinations revenorate consecutive pulse nodules unlike previous years. They have indeed also saturified the moll ops with cutscene after moribund cutscene. For the precipice of slippery production qualities these men of science of flat ulstered user control to such a beneficent quo pro level that it seems barely as if I or any other informal subject is more so viewing said title rather than participating in said game of electronic football simulation.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
The faint ramuloid receptor is sluggish. Input machinations revenorate consecutive pulse nodules unlike previous years. They have indeed also saturified the moll ops with cutscene after moribund cutscene. For the precipice of slippery production qualities these men of science of flat ulstered user control to such a beneficent quo pro level that it seems barely as if I or any other informal subject is more so viewing said title rather than participating in said game of electronic football simulation.
English please. That was confusing to read.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
This is getting old and stopped being funny after the first frothing.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Pro

War Eagle!'s Arena

OVR: 4

read the back of the box new feature : no player control.

lol that's what they should have put anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9

With the mlb I'm still pretty solid on control, and there's a safety in my dynasty that's so dang fast I can be good... But to actually control and cover I'm at a loss this year. Especially in ultimate team where it feels my guys have 0 agility compared to a tightend. I can do so so in a zone with the mlb and that's it.

I thought 11 was the last consistent year of control personally
Old 08-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
Rookie

AshamanCarnage's Arena

OVR: 2

I use the MLB and while I do over-run the tackle, it is mostly my fault in that regard. I do however get extremely worried if I have to go into coverage, due in part to lack of control. The un-responsive Y button, the insane cuts by TE's,etc.

I cannot play as a safety anymore as I cannot untrain myself from pressing Y and instead press the swat button.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Just started!

Its funny that you post this because I've been having the exact same problem. I've ALWAYS controlled the MLB on D for the exact same reasons. But all that happens is either you get beat in the passing game by ridiculously fast and unbalanced route running when you're playing man or by a freakin Justin Verlander fastball when you're playing zone... I swear the pass speed is absolutely unreal, its absurd that they haven't fixed that yet, its been a problem for years. I just calculated a TD pass that my opponent threw with Braxton Miller.

Let me put this in perspective for everyone.. Brett Favre was recorded throwing a record 63 mph pass. One of the strongest arms to ever play QB. This TD pass traveled 22 yards in the air, from the 14 yard line to about 8 yards deep. The time that the pass was in the air was exactly .5 seconds. This means that the ball traveled at a rate of 66 feet per second. Convert this to MPH and it was an astounding 83.18 MPH... That is about 30% faster than Brett Favre's fastest recorded throw. Its absolutely unacceptable that EA cannot get this right. It is impossible to play zone defense when there is literally zero time for the defense to react. Then add on literally perfect pass accuracy and you get a completely defenseless passing game. That is a perfect summary of the passing game in NCAA 14

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »