Home

Small forward #31, the NCAA, and EA sports

This is a discussion on Small forward #31, the NCAA, and EA sports within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nincompoop55
You do realize that college athletes sign over the right to their likeness when they sign their athletic scholarship right? It's all there in black and white and NOBODY forces them to sign it. Haha, and what is with this "bitter" thing?
The first thing outta everybody's mouth is I have debt and would trade it to have played a sport. I'm sorry you weren't that good. As far as signing over their likeness it's for use by the university. Not to be given to a third party to make money off of it.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Small forward #31, the NCAA, and EA sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
Give the players a third of the profits and spread that around to all the teams included in the game. Case closed, everyone happy and they can keep making the game.
That works but college athletes cannot receive money while they are under scholarship so the money needs to be set aside in a trust for when the graduate. A much simpler solution, and more cost effective for the game makers, is settle with the current and former players for a lump sum, release games with randomized rosters, and roster sharing will take care of the rest.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
And it belongs to them so they should get it. It sounds like you are mad because this series is about to go under, so be it. The players need to be compensated for use of their likeness. Just like you should be compensated if your likeness was used.
Sort of a "catch 22." If the series goes under, nobody's getting paid. I hope Tiburon files for bankruptcy before they attempt to pay anyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
The first thing outta everybody's mouth is I have debt and would trade it to have played a sport. I'm sorry you weren't that good. As far as signing over their likeness it's for use by the university. Not to be given to a third party to make money off of it.
Haha, you are the voice for the poor division one athlete who is exploited by the NCAA and the big bad universities. Luckily most division one athletes, at least those smart enough to actually take advantage of their education, couldn't disagree with you more. I promise you the back up center for your favorite school is more than happy with his athletic scholarship and loves playing NCAA football and seeing his "likeness" included. You continue to look at this issue through the eyes of a star player and future NFL draft pick but the reality is Braxton Miller is the exception not the norm.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMB0B
Sort of a "catch 22." If the series goes under, nobody's getting paid. I hope Tiburon files for bankruptcy before they attempt to pay anyone.
At best EA sports settles, anyone who ever had their likeness used in NCAA football will receive a check in the mail for couple hundred dollars, and college football games will forever have randomized rosters from now on. But the legal battle is far from over and EA sports did win the Jim Brown lawsuit which was very similar.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMB0B
Cool and I hope they are offered no protection and forced to sell off their assets to pay their debts. But either way the player needs to be paid.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #39
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_nincompoop55
That works but college athletes cannot receive money while they are under scholarship so the money needs to be set aside in a trust for when the graduate. A much simpler solution, and more cost effective for the game makers, is settle with the current and former players for a lump sum, release games with randomized rosters, and roster sharing will take care of the rest.
So a third for future players and a settlement for current and past players? Sounds like a winner as long as the settlement is a third of past profits.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
So a third for future players and a settlement for current and past players? Sounds like a winner as long as the settlement is a third of past profits.
It's called a settlement for a reason...... If you think EA sports is going to pay out a third of all it's profits from the NCAA series to date you are high, or maybe you are Ed O'Bannon's lawyer. Either way it's never going to happen. If it gets to the point where legally EA sports doesn't think it's worth moving forward they will settle out of court, we will never know the number, and for the current and former player like O'Bannon it will be considered a moral victory...... Because when it's all said and done they will get very little cash.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »