Home

Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Having trouble running outside--any suggestions? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW
One thing to keep in mind also is what is tackle's or TE's run blocking rating. If you have a stud of a OLB lined up on the other side, he will just swipe your blockers away.

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Having trouble running outside--any suggestions?

This year I've found much more success using the Ace formation. There are some formations that have an H back that will motion one way or the other, or just stay on his side and kick out the last blocker. Alternatively, the Power O will also have that extra blocker, sometimes that play goes inside the tackle and other times outside the tackle. For me, these work much better than the pitch plays or most stretch plays.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Just started!

OVR: 0

Another thing I would mention that no one touched on is how good your Tackles are compared to your Guards and Center. I have a 99 RT and I probably Power O behind that guy 5 or 6 times a game and he just drives his guy 5 yards down the field, as long as the other blockers in the area engage their guys for a second, its a 10 yard+ run.

As for the playcalling, I usually pound the rock on the inside A LOT, so when I do go for an outside run, with a stretch or toss, or Power O from a bunched formation, its a big run more often that not, and if its not, someone sniffed it out for a 2 yard loss. Worth the risk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by skundy
Stuck in mud seems to be on any speed but normal, I haven't tried the slower spds but I know that on fast and very fast stuck in mud is def there, f*ckn stupid if you ask me how did they miss something so obvious in testing.
I would REALLY love to know who does the testing... either they are clueless or their requests are being overlooked (why even test if this is the case)...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Rookie

Hokie200proof's Arena

OVR: 4

I've been getting pretty amazing results with I-Form Twins stretch plays.

I wrote a pretty long piece about rushing in general here that might help you. As one of the guys said before, it's important to read the D to know if you're going to be successful or not. If the D you're facing is a wide-set like a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5, where there are more than one or two defenders outside of your OT's, then it's likely that you'll be run down before you turn the corner.

But, back to my I-Form Twins stretch play - In I-Form Twins you have two WRs out wide and a TE tight on the opposite end of your OL. I almost always run this play to the TE/strong side and when the D is in man (and you can quickly and easily identify if the D is in man-to-man as both of their DBs will be on the WRs' side). When this happens there are only two defenders between you and a big gainer or the endzone - the OLB and S. In this play you have a FB lead blocker and you'll want to use him as best you can, either to pick up the OLB (and probably get about 8-9 yards before the S can get to you) or, best option, pick up the S and send you off to the races. For the FB to be free to block the S, you'll need to bait the OLB into coming to the line to be picked up by either your TE or your OT (TE is the OLB is shading outside, OT if he's inside the playside DE). To bait the OLB, you need to have a little touch and move your RB like you're going off-tackle, not a full sweep. When you do this, the OLB will bite, get blocked by your OL and leave the FB to occupy the S. If that happens, you've got 18-20 yards before the off-side S can get close to you. If you've got a real speedster at HB, the off-side S won't be able to catch you. Bam - six points.

You can still do all of this against those wide-set D's, it's just that you'll risk getting caught for a loss or short gainer.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Rookie

BoltThrower74's Arena

My solution is much more simple (not at all taking anything away from you guys who got more awesomely in-depth).

1.) Check which side you're running to.

2.) Count the defenders. They could be in the box or not. You can usually tell if they're sending more defenders to the strong or weakside. Simply put, if there are more defenders than blockers on one side, audible and reverse the play. Many times, that creates matchups in your favor.

3.) As long as the blockers at least equal the number of defenders, you should be good for at least a good 4 yards per rush. Big runs are much more rare, but happen from time to time.

4.) Most important: don't expect going for the big run on every try. You'll only piss yourself off. Little 3-4 yards runs DO add up in your favor.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Rookie

cms186's Arena

i find altering the pre-snap slide protection to the direction im running helps a bit
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Speed kills.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »