Home

Downfield Passing

This is a discussion on Downfield Passing within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Downfield Passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
Why would pass interference slider work for WR aggressiveness? Please educate me! Do you lower it or raise it to make them more aggressive?
The DPI/OPI sliders work together to determine how aggressive CBs/WRs are. So for example say I have Offensive PI at 100 the WR's will play more passive because in the AI's mind there is more of a chance to get called for OPI, so lowering it will cause the WR to play more freely and true to their ratings without the fear of being called for a penalty.

So for my set I have OPI/DPI both set at 1, here is an example of a pass downfield:

http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Ma...71841.mp4.html

Like I said the goal of my slider set was to make passing harder, I see some spectacular catches every now and then, but they are not overly common, I'd say I complete about 2 passes over 20 Yds a game (Not counting YAC).
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

that video didn't really show much to me but I will give it a try later
Old 08-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2
I've been playing NCAA going back to Bill Walsh in 93....I am old...very old. I'm enjoying the game, playing an offline dynasty v CPU. Offense is set to Heisman, Defense to AA. QB sliders WAY down.

For the first time in twenty years, I can't complete a deep ball. Not it a game, not in practice. I created a two star school and put it in Conf USA, but I would think I could at least complete one in fifty...but nothing. I can complete 20 to 30 yard passes, but I cannot get the ball to a receiver behind the defense...ever.

I've tried:

1) All kinds of routes
2) Pushing forward to lead the receiver (can never overthrow...ever.)

Before you flame me...please know that I like the game, and I've been playing it for years...I like a challenge and can't stand when I've had to make house rules in previous years because the deep ball was too easy...but now I can't complete one...not one. I've used the search function on the site to find tips on this, but haven't had any luck (maybe I'm using bad search parameters.)

Clearly I'm doing something wrong...any suggestions?
So JP other than trying a new Slider set I would recommend trying to User Catch more? Try to run under the ball and hold Triangle/Y. You should have more success that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0

In my experience so far, the only deep balls I've completed are if the CPU CB whiffs on press coverage and my WR slips past him, them lob towards sidelines, or if I run a post from the slot and split the two safeties down the middle of the field.

At most I'm looking at 30-40 yards though and a tackle a few yards after the catch. I'm not seeing any catches that then continue into touchdowns. It's normally long completion and quickly tackled. I've also found post and corner routes to be far more effective than streaks.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Downfield passing is definitely much more difficult. I, like you, have been playing since Bill Walsh and this version is the most difficult for downfield passing. I thunk the passive WR problem started to expose itself last year and it inly got worse this year. I have also noticed the CPU plays A LOT more zone this year vs past versions.

My most successful deep balls thus year are typically down the seams or sending multiple receivers downfield. I've noticed that when I throw bullets downfield the safety will undercut the pass about 90% of the time, so I have resorted to lobbing the passes more like a fade and being sure to lead the WR (left stick) and that has increased my success. A lot of the routes with double moves seem successful assuming your line gives you enough time.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Banned

Bill Walsh college football was awesome. i tried finding stats to correlate the deep ball too, but only found some for the nfl.

whats the average completion rate in a season of balls thrown longer than 30 yards? key word thrown...as in in the air.

I'm guessing it is in the 5-10% range collectively.

wouldn't lowering the threshold also help to create separation between wr's and the secondary, especially if the wr is a burner?

I mean, I don't know the numbers, but with a lower threshold, shouldn't this even create separation between say a 5 point speed gap enough to lead the wr in space?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Cover 2 man or against a blitz the deep ball is suicide. Cover 3 zone the outsides are open If your WR has +5 spd and +5 acc over the CB covering them. Also I have found that the middle\deep ball is open if you throw it against cover 2 zone. Roll to the side of the field you want to complete, the short zone will stay short, the deep zone will cover several of your deep streaks, the outside streak or a deep post will be open 30 yards downfield.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2
I've been playing NCAA going back to Bill Walsh in 93....I am old...very old. I'm enjoying the game, playing an offline dynasty v CPU. Offense is set to Heisman, Defense to AA. QB sliders WAY down.

For the first time in twenty years, I can't complete a deep ball. Not it a game, not in practice. I created a two star school and put it in Conf USA, but I would think I could at least complete one in fifty...but nothing. I can complete 20 to 30 yard passes, but I cannot get the ball to a receiver behind the defense...ever.

I've tried:

1) All kinds of routes
2) Pushing forward to lead the receiver (can never overthrow...ever.)

Before you flame me...please know that I like the game, and I've been playing it for years...I like a challenge and can't stand when I've had to make house rules in previous years because the deep ball was too easy...but now I can't complete one...not one. I've used the search function on the site to find tips on this, but haven't had any luck (maybe I'm using bad search parameters.)

Clearly I'm doing something wrong...any suggestions?
It's really hard in comparison to previous years but i think there is a way to do it.

I've found that when I audible out formations where the defense pushes to stop the run, I am able to get deep.

I've also found that I can if I read zone, and provide myself addition protection to wait for the zone to get stretched out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »