Home

New College Classics for 2005?

This is a discussion on New College Classics for 2005? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2004, 06:15 PM   #33
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: New College Classics for 2005?

Here are some classic Auburn games. I would like to see one of them make it at least:

Nix-to-Sanders

With starting quarterback Stan White lying in pain on the turf of Jordan-Hare Stadium and Auburn’s undefeated season hanging in the balance against Alabama in 1993, sophomore quarterback Patrick Nix was summoned to the huddle to face a 4th-and-15 at the Alabama 35-yard line with Auburn trailing 14-5 and 6:09 left on the third quarter clock. Offensive coordinator Tommy Bowden relayed the call to the sidelines and “278Z Takeoff” would become a part of Auburn football lore. Nix, without a chance to loosen up, hung the ball up and receiver Frank Sanders pulled it down for a touchdown. Auburn went on to win 22-14.

Picked off

Those who witnessed Auburn’s 30-26 victory over LSU in 1994 saw one of the most bizarre finishes ever to a college football game. With LSU leading 23-9 going into the fourth quarter, Auburn safety Ken Alvis picked off an LSU pass and rambled 42 yards for a touchdown. Before the final horn had sounded Fred Smith followed suit for 32 yards and a score, then Brian Robinson returned yet another pickoff for a 41-yard TD. In all, the Tigers intercepted five LSU passes in the fourth quarter to keep a 14-game winning streak alive.

“Punt Bama Punt”

Maybe the most famous and easily the most talked about Auburn-Alabama football game. Trailing 16-0 heading into the fourth quarter in the 1972 contest, Auburn got a field goal from Gardner Jett. Then lightning struck — twice. Bill Newton blocked an Alabama punt and David Langner returned it 25 yards for an Auburn touchdown. Three minutes later Newton blocked another punt and Langner ran 20 yards for the score.

Bo over the top

The climax to a 23-22 Auburn victory over Alabama in 1982 which broke a nine-year losing skid to the Crimson Tide. Bo Jackson’s 1-yard leap over the Alabama goal line capped a 66-yard drive and set the stage for what Auburn people consider the Tigers’ “coming out” party in the 1980s.

Old 02-13-2004, 01:33 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

I dunno. If it meant Kentucky fans having a classic game, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think the LSU/Kentucky game would be the best bet for Kentucky having a classic game. That game of theirs with LSU is far more recognized than the 7OT one in Lexington this past year. Likewise, our 7OT game in 2001 is widely recognized as well. With that said, I'd like to see Arkansas and Ole Miss from 2001 in this year's game. In my mind, it had more of a feel and name recognition since it was the first of its kind to go that long. Manning was a house hold name among football purists, and an unknown freshman quarterback for Arkansas at the time really showed out in that game. He looked like Superman in the entire 7 overtimes running and throwing all over the field - we couldn't stop him. It would also give the programmers a chance to feature Manning if he indeed makes the cover.

In fact, I'd bet that if Manning makes the cover (decent chance), that they'd showcase him like they did Weinke, Harrington, and Palmer by putting the 7OT game in there with him in it.

The game comes to mind because it was a critical juncture in the history of both programs. Arkansas hadn't beaten Ole Miss since 1998 and badly needed the road win to stay in the hunt for the SEC West title. Ole Miss was also in uncharted territory as it had a chance to gain a foothold on the SEC West with a victory. The outcome virtually decided the fate of both teams that year.

In closing, I believe that game had more a feel than the Arkansas/Kentucky game from last year. Our game just kept going on, no two teams had ever done this before, and the outcome was mentioned on websites for days to come. ESPN ran episodes of it on Classic for the following month nonstop. In fact, it's one of the all-time most played games on that channel, I believe.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:26 AM   #35
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:

Here are some classic Auburn games. I would like to see one of them make it at least:

Nix-to-Sanders

With starting quarterback Stan White lying in pain on the turf of Jordan-Hare Stadium and Auburn’s undefeated season hanging in the balance against Alabama in 1993, sophomore quarterback Patrick Nix was summoned to the huddle to face a 4th-and-15 at the Alabama 35-yard line with Auburn trailing 14-5 and 6:09 left on the third quarter clock. Offensive coordinator Tommy Bowden relayed the call to the sidelines and “278Z Takeoff” would become a part of Auburn football lore. Nix, without a chance to loosen up, hung the ball up and receiver Frank Sanders pulled it down for a touchdown. Auburn went on to win 22-14.

Picked off

Those who witnessed Auburn’s 30-26 victory over LSU in 1994 saw one of the most bizarre finishes ever to a college football game. With LSU leading 23-9 going into the fourth quarter, Auburn safety Ken Alvis picked off an LSU pass and rambled 42 yards for a touchdown. Before the final horn had sounded Fred Smith followed suit for 32 yards and a score, then Brian Robinson returned yet another pickoff for a 41-yard TD. In all, the Tigers intercepted five LSU passes in the fourth quarter to keep a 14-game winning streak alive.

“Punt Bama Punt”

Maybe the most famous and easily the most talked about Auburn-Alabama football game. Trailing 16-0 heading into the fourth quarter in the 1972 contest, Auburn got a field goal from Gardner Jett. Then lightning struck — twice. Bill Newton blocked an Alabama punt and David Langner returned it 25 yards for an Auburn touchdown. Three minutes later Newton blocked another punt and Langner ran 20 yards for the score.

Bo over the top

The climax to a 23-22 Auburn victory over Alabama in 1982 which broke a nine-year losing skid to the Crimson Tide. Bo Jackson’s 1-yard leap over the Alabama goal line capped a 66-yard drive and set the stage for what Auburn people consider the Tigers’ “coming out” party in the 1980s.

The LSU "Interception game was incredible". 4 Defensive TDs by Auburn..including 3 INTS returned for TDs.

The Auburn Florida game in the swamp was insane too. Easily one of the best I've ever seen. Nix to Sanders part 2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

Quote:

Nix-to-Sanders

Picked off

“Punt Bama Punt”

Bo over the top

The LSU "Interception game was incredible". 4 Defensive TDs by Auburn..including 3 INTS returned for TDs.

The Auburn Florida game in the swamp was insane too. Easily one of the best I've ever seen. Nix to Sanders part 2.

The "Interception Game" makes me sick. Although Jamie Howard and LSU got revenge the next year in Death Valley with an upset of a very highly preseason ranked Auburn in another great game between the two schools.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #37
Rookie

Yea, Auburn-UF on there would be great, where UF blocked the Field Goal at the end of regulation to put it into OT, UM-UF from this past yr, and UF-FSU from this past yr in the Swamp (see if you can lead UF down the field with 1:00 left to win it maybe?)
Old 02-28-2004, 02:10 AM   #38
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Memphis beats UT in 1996 21-17!!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:49 PM   #39
Rookie

The Ohio State- NC State triple overtime game in Columbus, TA Mclendon was 1 inch short of ending OSU's win streak.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »