Home

Running with 2 backs

This is a discussion on Running with 2 backs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Running with 2 backs

I'm a spread option guy so all of my formations are SG.

I have a few split formations in my CPB (there are a ton of split back formations from which to choose). The ones I use are:
  • split y offset
  • split offset
  • split slot
  • split big
  • split twins
and I use 2 HBs in them all.

I go 4 deep @ HB so I use formation subs to get my #3 and #4 guys into some formations (including having them both in 2 of my split back sets). I use "sub HB" to get my #2 guy in some formations.

I'm a no huddle guy so if I wanna get a backup some carries I'll call one of his formations, but then when I no huddle, he has every formation available to him from that personnel grouping (IE. for 11 personnel I have all 7 of those formations from my CPB available).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 09-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

I just had a very successful season by using the multiple running back approach
Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
Pro

bwburke94's Arena

OVR: 4

Just finished the regular season in my Virginia Tech dynasty. My HB1 was Heisman runner-up. He's only a sophomore, so maybe he can win it next season?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
Do you huddle or no-huddle? I have a hard time rotating backs in my no huddle scheme since there are no on the fly subs in this game so I can't imagine getting three guys in there
I tend to huddle. But, I also run the "pro style" offense from UNT's playbook, so I tend to "run in order to set up the pass." My depth chart at HB is as follows:

HB 1 -- Brandin Byrd -- Power back
HB 2 -- Reggie Pegram -- Balanced back
HB 3 -- Antoinne Jimmerson -- Speed back

As far as OVR is concerned, the three of them are within about two points of each other, like 80, 79, 78 or something to that effect.

What I've done, then is I've looked at all of my formations and the ones with the most outside/sweep runs, I've subbed in Jimmerson. Byrd is the back assigned to my "power" formations, like I-formation with one WR and two TEs. The ones that are more "balanced" like a two WR and one TE are given to Pegram.

But again, I also use the "on the fly" substitutions (you can do so by hitting L or R on the right stick when choosing your formation during playcalling) to put the "hot hand" in there from time to time. (Like, if Jimmerson has taken three straight carries over eight yards or something)

By game's end, I usually have about 40% of my carries going to Byrd and then Jimmerson and Pegram end up with about 30% of the carries, each.

I'm off to a 3-1 start using this so I'm happy with it.

-- Stephen
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
Just started!

OVR: 0

Not sure what the best playbook to use would be but I like to get a speed/receiving back to start and play 3rd downs and a balanced back with good moves and carry rating to spell him. Usually balance their carries 65/35 with a few runs mixed in with my QB. Definitely utilize the Spell HB packages to get change of pace backs involved.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »