Home

Best PS2 year?

This is a discussion on Best PS2 year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Best PS2 year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday
I tried those sliders last night, here are some impressions.

First thing I noticed is how nice the menus are. No lag at all, easy to get around. This should not be underrated, given how bad menus are on some new games.

Game modes/features actually not bad. There are no spring drills, no classic or 1-A teams, etc. But there is Dynasty and Season mode, and you can create players and schools.

In-game graphics are definitely showing their age, but enjoyable in a retro sort of way. The players actually look pretty good, but stadiums, crowds, etc are lacking.
Player models are very good. Crowds are quite good, the stadiums themselves are a little smaller, I think they made the stadiums larger in NCAA 2005. But the actually crowds look really good. The sidelines aren't as detailed, like there are more photographers and stuff in NCAA 2005, but the referees, chain gang, coaches, and bench players look great.

The player models have wider torsos and more pronounced shoulders in NCAA 2003 than in NCAA 2005. But the detail of the uniforms and stuff look fantastic. I also like the "blue" player icon under the player you are controlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday
I really enjoyed the gameplay. The players are very responsive, you don't feel like you're fighting to gain control like you often do in current games. The cpu called a smart game (smart enough, anyway) and put up a good fight. I played Oregon vs. Nebraska and was tied at the half before I had to quit the game.

The biggest problem with the game which would keep me from playing more often is the playbooks. Just too limited compared to the games even just a couple years later.

Are you sure those sliders are right, as far as WR Catch? Seems low at 5. Receivers were dropping easy catches. Do you get realistic passing stats with these?
Yeah I know what you mean about player responsiveness, especially when running with the ball like on kickoffs or punts. (you noticed that?) How you can quickly change directions and break ankles and stuff. You can't do anything like that in NCAA 2005 (except somewhat on Varsity, but not on AA) and that's the biggest problem I have with NCAA 2005. The best thing about those sliders is just the fact that you get a challenging fair game. It's not too easy to beat the CPU or too hard. It's the one game where player ratings really, really matter, like you'll see the difference between a 75 and an 85 rated player whereas in other games you won't as much. Also realistic fumbles too and random unique stuff that happens every game. Like every time I play NCAA 2003 I see something I haven't seen before.

I agree about the play books, it's the biggest drawback because they were expanded so much in NCAA 2005 and again in NCAA 08 (last-gen). But as I pointed out, there are some plays that aren't in any of those later games. (like the extra 3 plays in goal-line defense formation) I do miss the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 from NCAA 2005, but to be honest I'm pretty happy with the play books overall. You just gotta find a playbook that works for you. It's a little limited, but there are over 100 different play books to choose from and I haven't even gone through every one yet. An even bigger limitation to me is the limited hot routes compared to games like NCAA 2005. I do miss being able to hot-route to a slant pattern like you can in NCAA 2005, or even flipping a run to the opposite side without flipping the whole formation. You might want to set a few different audibles up in the same formation in audibles so you can essentially audible to slant routes and option left or right in the same formation.

It is very limited when compared to the later games, but that's the biggest drawback. The gameplay itself is fantastic, especially with these sliders. You kinda learn to deal with the smaller play books, and realize that you could run the same play 3 times in a row and each time the play will look different. Another thing about this game is that controlling an individual defender is a little harder than NCAA 2005, but your CPU teammates execute plays and coverages very well. Like there's more room to run on offense and it takes more skill to actually tackle the ball carrier. You can really hit holes when running in this game on these sliders, that's why I like it. Also I think the way you can swat passes looks more realistic in NCAA 2003 than any other game. It's not as easy to actually swat the ball (like you can in NCAA 2005) but when you actually do make a swat, it looks perfect in terms of collision and if a receiver will hang on to it. (more sim)

Yes the sliders are right. I have seen a lot of dropped catches, especially from the CPU. But it's random, and a lot of times it goes in waves, like one series receivers will just drop passes randomly, even good receivers, then the next series they'll be catching everything. I think it has more to do with the QB accuracy than the WR's catching. It's a very realistic game, like if that ball doesn't hit him in the hands he's not going to suction catch it like in later games......the one exception to that is for one-handed catches, which is pretty much the most hilarious thing about this game : the occasionally ridiculous physically impossible one-handed catches.

The game has its share of quirks, but I'm playing as opposed to NCAA 2005 at the moment, and I love the bells and whistles of NCAA 2005. The running game is just so good, you get over the limitations of the playbook. I do wish we could have NCAA 2005 play books with the running mechanics of NCAA 2003.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #42
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

NCAA 06 was my favorite, and honestly prob still is. I think from just an X's and O's standpoint that game with a few of the other last gen games were the best true to life football gaming experience. For me it could have been a combination of things. In July of 2005 I was in my 3rd year in the Marine Corps. I lived in a barracks and spent a ton of time playing that game. It was the first NCAA game that I literally edited the entire FBS roster, and historic teams. I remember playing that game so much and having so many close head to head battles with friends.

A few reasons I think the older games were better:
-Mini Drills, these were fun and a good way to sharpen your stick skills.
-FCS and Historic rosters, As an editor I loved this, esp the historic teams.
-Presentation, the soundtrack, and I liked the video highlights on the main menu.
-Quick cut trigger jukes, I loved these and felt like it game you more control as a ball carrier. The game felt felt more user friendly and less robotic.
-gameplay, easy to explain... players used to run like they had hips and backs compared to stiff robotic feeling we have currently.
-Player detail, I like the amount of detail in regards to appearance of the players.

Overall I felt like 2006 was the best year. I started NCAA'ing back in 2000 on Ps1 with Ricky Williams on the cover. I've always been an avid roster editor. The news today is quite depressing for me. The only reason I own a game console is for NCAA football games. So at 31 it appears my gaming days could be over soon. I will always keep my old Ps2 with NCAA 2006. I was very attached to that game, and even though I'm older, it was still my favorite version.

EDIT

With the news of no new NCAA games for now moving forward, I will probably start making a Historic NCAA 2006 roster. It will be a casual hobby for me. But I will def share it with you all for free of course for anyone who might be interested. Let's bring last gen NCAA games back to life!

Last edited by Gap Integrity; 09-26-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap Integrity
Let's bring last gen NCAA games back to life!
That's what I've been trying to do for years lol. I'm working on a roster for this year. using create-a-team to update the uniforms. for historic rosters, you gotta unlock them all, then you can name *some* of the rosters in NCAA 2005 or 06. I named a few of them in NCAA 2005.

NCAA 06 was good, I think the running and the run blocking was a little better than in NCAA 2005. Impact players were a little ridic, but overall a very fun game. I wish that one came out for gamecube.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #44
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap Integrity
NCAA 06 was my favorite, and honestly prob still is. I think from just an X's and O's standpoint that game with a few of the other last gen games were the best true to life football gaming experience. For me it could have been a combination of things. In July of 2005 I was in my 3rd year in the Marine Corps. I lived in a barracks and spent a ton of time playing that game. It was the first NCAA game that I literally edited the entire FBS roster, and historic teams. I remember playing that game so much and having so many close head to head battles with friends.

A few reasons I think the older games were better:
-Mini Drills, these were fun and a good way to sharpen your stick skills.
-FCS and Historic rosters, As an editor I loved this, esp the historic teams.
-Presentation, the soundtrack, and I liked the video highlights on the main menu.
-Quick cut trigger jukes, I loved these and felt like it game you more control as a ball carrier. The game felt felt more user friendly and less robotic.
-gameplay, easy to explain... players used to run like they had hips and backs compared to stiff robotic feeling we have currently.
-Player detail, I like the amount of detail in regards to appearance of the players.

Overall I felt like 2006 was the best year. I started NCAA'ing back in 2000 on Ps1 with Ricky Williams on the cover. I've always been an avid roster editor. The news today is quite depressing for me. The only reason I own a game console is for NCAA football games. So at 31 it appears my gaming days could be over soon. I will always keep my old Ps2 with NCAA 2006. I was very attached to that game, and even though I'm older, it was still my favorite version.

EDIT

With the news of no new NCAA games for now moving forward, I will probably start making a Historic NCAA 2006 roster. It will be a casual hobby for me. But I will def share it with you all for free of course for anyone who might be interested. Let's bring last gen NCAA games back to life!
That would be awesome!

06 is my favorite, too. I am going to fire the PS2 back up and start playing it again. I may also look at getting 09 again, too. I owned it a few years ago but felt like the momentum meter turned the game into a turnover-fest.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #45
Rookie

Superman31's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon6 Re: Best PS2 year?

NCAA Football 06 was the best in my opinion. It was just a good experience and the soundtrack was amazing. This is Shangri la.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #46
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Played a game of 06 tonight. Yep, still great.

CPU looks for its star players, and will try and beat you deep if they feel they have an advantage.

Running can be difficult at times, but the blocking awareness by linemen and WR's is really good. I had a play where one of my OL peeled off one block and took out an oncoming DB as I made my way upfield.

No OL shifts is tough but not a real huge issue.

Players feel more grounded (no ice skating) and juke moves actually work.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #47
Pro

BallinVol's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm feeling pretty nostalgic myself tonight and might have to fire the ps2 back up. I believe I've got 06 and 10 on the ps2 still. Not sure, but didn't 10 have some wonky recruiting problems? I know it has the Medical Redshirts though iirc. Shows how long it's been since I've played these games!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #48
Rookie

TMAG1C's Arena

OVR: 4

Oh man. After reading this I also want to fire up 06 and star playing. Bust out Texas with ole Colt McCoy. Those were the days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »