Home

Is the read option cheese?

This is a discussion on Is the read option cheese? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is the Read option a cheese play?
Yes, it is 24 24.49%
No, it is not 74 75.51%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
if we could assign .... our read man to always take a certain player
You can in the gameplan options. Aggressive option D tells your read guy to always take the QB. Conservative tells him to always take the HB.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Re: Is the read option cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefrog
This is true, QB's don't get injured as often as they would in a real game if they ran this many options (RG-Knee). However, I feel the seemingly increased chance for the QB to fumble is a fair tradeoff.

If they increased the injury chance on QB ball-carriers, teams like Air Force would be out of backups by Week 4.
That's a terrible example. I can't imagine you could run much option inThe NFL because the freakish LBs are way too big, fast, and strong and would murder running QBs.

That's not true in college and tons of teams get tons of carries from their QBs. Air Force doesn't run out of QBs after 4 weeks in real life.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvArmyMatt
What if I sub my 97 Speed 97 Acc. Running Back in at QB and then run the read option where the QB keeps and torches the safety 1v1 for a TD easily.

That's what I faced online recently. It was deadly as heck!
1 very simple change to your game planning and the "QB" would get 0 carries on options.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
That's a terrible example. I can't imagine you could run much option inThe NFL because the freakish LBs are way too big, fast, and strong and would murder running QBs.

That's not true in college and tons of teams get tons of carries from their QBs. Air Force doesn't run out of QBs after 4 weeks in real life.
Okay, bad example. But my point still stands: increased fumble chance from QB's appropriately compensates the lack of injuries present in the game.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 12

the people who say its cheese are the people who cant stop it
Northern Illinois Huskies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcards
To a degree I'd say you are right...
However in most cases it is more of a technical/system fault that users can't stop the play. Even with defensive adjustments the read-option is fairly unstoppable.
I don't think the play should be banned, as a lot of people like to run that play because it is fun to do. However, running it every play is a little overkill and is IMO a cheese.
Using the read option to supplement your overall offensive attack is fine, learn to defend it.

Last edited by jayhawkfan11; 09-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkfan11
To a degree I'd say you are right...
However in most cases it is more of a technical/system fault that users can't stop the play. Even with defensive adjustments the read-option is fairly unstoppable.
I don't think the play should be banned, as a lot of people like to run that play because it is fun to do. However, running it every play is a little overkill and is IMO a cheese.
Using the read option to supplement your overall offensive attack is fine, learn to defend it.
I agree if someone is running it every play then yes but for the users who use read option to mix it up I have no problem with
Northern Illinois Huskies
Old 09-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcards
How ignorant of the actual problem with the read option.

I don't care how often a player uses any play. Almost any "cheese" player can be stopped becuase guys who try to game the system have anywhere between 1-5 plays on offense and can be easily stopped once you know what they are. There is nothing more satisfying than watching the rage as their ****ty cheese doesn't work.

The READ OPTION is cheese in a different sense. It's not a cheese play because it's called a lot, it's a cheese play because the game is broken when it comes to it. When I say broken, I do NOT mean broken in the sense that a lot of guys do when they complain about AI logic. That you could at least attribute to the AI players "being faked out". Fine.

The cheese of the Read Option comes in that the QB is literally invincible during the handoff. I have countless times reached the backfield on a read option during the handoff. I *always* go for the QB when I am controlling this blitz man. When you reach the QB at this point, you literally just slide right off him. You don't fail a tackle, you don't fall down, the QB doesn't break it, you just literally slip off him. The game is broken when it comes to handoffs during those plays. That is the cheese. It's that you can literally have the play snuffed out and you fail because the game is bugged for those plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »