Home

Any way to make recruiting more difficult?

This is a discussion on Any way to make recruiting more difficult? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Any way to make recruiting more difficult?

There is no point to oversign. Those guys you cut don't transfer to other schools, they disappear. It dilutes the talent level in the game and makes everything, not just recruiting, too easy.

"Phantom Restrictions" are a great way to provide realistic challenge and keep the game fun and interesting. Nothing wrong with them at all.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Rookie

subdistinction's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
There is no point to oversign. Those guys you cut don't transfer to other schools, they disappear. It dilutes the talent level in the game and makes everything, not just recruiting, too easy.

"Phantom Restrictions" are a great way to provide realistic challenge and keep the game fun and interesting. Nothing wrong with them at all.
I agree. Your main goal should be signing players you need. Some house rules I try to keep are not having any more than 5 players from outside my home state, only recruiting players that have me in their top 3, and not using kitchen sink which is the coaches talent that lets you apply more than 500 points to each player each week. If you use kitchen sink, unless your team just blows, you are like almost guaranteed that recruit.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel30
I agree not over-signing is a great rule to have in place. The rest are all meh in my opinion. Recruiting is as fun as playing the game to me. I love spending time digging around trying to find guys I can steal that aren't initially interested in my team. Also if you limit yourself to 500 points per recruit and you are going up against CPU Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, etc, and they have 700 points, they will beat you for that recruit far more often than not. For that reason I don't like the 500 pts thing either. I think not oversigning or I'm in a league where you can take 4 over the amount of SRs you graduate to take into account transfers and underclassmen declaring for the NFL.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear

Never said anything was wrong with house rules (I have a few lesser extent levels of my own). But some of these house rules mentioned do not make recruiting itself "harder", most actually make it easier.... House rules for recruiting essentially change how the CPU will play on the field.

What people are confusing in this thread is how to make the CPU challenge them in recruiting battles, not on the field games. If people use house rules to limit who they can recruit, i.e no oversigning, limit 5 star recruits, limit to pipelines, how does that make the CPU recruit "harder"? How does that make the CPU recruit smarter?

The affect people create isn't making recruiting itself harder, it's limiting how strong your team will be. It limits the quality of your roster... I.E. things that affect you on the field! Say you make a house rule of no 5 star players for backup positions. Does that make it any harder to recruit a 4 star player or lower? No, it doesn't. The affect it has will be on the field. You won't have a 5 star recruit on your team, and your ratings could be lowered.

Not a big deal for people who play every game... everyone can beat the CPU with all levels of talent.

But as far as oversigning... doesn't make recruiting harder. Cutting players and "diluting" the playing pool doesn't affect CPU recruiting, it affects the quality of what they put on the field.

All these house rules of who to sign, have no affect on who the CPU goes after, how many points they use, how often a top school gets their recruit, etc. The only thing house rules are affecting, is the overall ratings the CPU teams will have with their recruits.

Getting back to the original question posed in the thread... how do you make recruiting harder. You limit your points as a coach. Make house rules stating "won't put 700 points into a recruit", "won't give an early visit to lock the CPU out", "will only recruit what I need in recruiting battles and will not take a non-recruited player where I land them automatically", "will not fill my recruiting points up to level 27 where I max everything out". That's how you make recruiting harder.

Oversigning/cutting = Making the CPU stronger on the field. It has no affect on recruiting itself.

But in my original point about Phantom Restrictions... if someone wants to avoid house rules where they have to monitor their own behavior to meet their own personal criteria, the easiest way to do that is resetting a coach to level 1 in recruiting. Now you have the game limit you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »