Home

Plays Sets That Build Off Each Other

This is a discussion on Plays Sets That Build Off Each Other within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Plays Sets That Build Off Each Other

Does anyone know of any sets of plays that can be used together to confuse the offense? I'm probably not using the correct terminology so here is an example of what I'm talking about. It's in Shotgun: Split Offset and the plays are MTN FB Belly, MTN FB Cross Screen and MTN HB Swing. Plays that all have one same element but with different options out of it so the defense doesn't know what's gonna happen. I'm not looking for option plays (I know there are a ton of those) but any other unique sets like that. If you could put what formation they are in and the play list would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

Re: Plays Sets That Build Off Each Other

Most run plays have a play-action counterpart. Watch for it in the names of the plays.

HB Power --> PA Power
HB Counter --> PA Counter

...and so on. If you bust out a large gain with the Read Option, you'll get a "setup" for the PA Read pass in the same formation. Which is supposed to make it easier to execute, but generally not in the play immediately following.

Two things to note:
1) These linked plays only work within a formation. An Inverted Veer in Shotgun - Flex will not trigger the PA Veer play as a "setup" in any other formations, including very similar formations (Shotgun - Tight Flex).
2) If your playbook has PA Sweep, but no HB Sweep to tie to it, you can add it in via a new playbook (edit existing).
Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc0813
Does anyone know of any sets of plays that can be used together to confuse the offense? I'm probably not using the correct terminology so here is an example of what I'm talking about. It's in Shotgun: Split Offset and the plays are MTN FB Belly, MTN FB Cross Screen and MTN HB Swing. Plays that all have one same element but with different options out of it so the defense doesn't know what's gonna happen. I'm not looking for option plays (I know there are a ton of those) but any other unique sets like that. If you could put what formation they are in and the play list would be great.
There's even more in split offset than what you listed. There's 3 more plays (mtn stick, mtn spot, mtn qb draw) with the same automotion. There's also a triple option and a PA pass with the beginning of that automotion.

Shotgun F Twins Over is unquestionably the best formation for what you want. Some of the plays are options, but most aren't. There's 12 plays in it and all 12 of them have the left flanker coming in automotion. There's only about 2 slight variations of the automotion for the 12 plays.

The defense sees the automotion but when the ball's snapped tons of things can happen:
  1. Fake handoff (HO) to WR, screen to HB
  2. Fake HO to WR, HO to HB
  3. Inverted Veer with WR and QB
  4. Fake HO to WR, swing pass to same WR
  5. HO to WR to the right
  6. HO to WR for counter back to left
  7. HO to WR up the gut
  8. Fake HO to WR up the gut, screen to other WR
  9. Shovel option to the left
  10. triple option to the left
  11. triple option to the right
  12. fake HO to WR, QB keeper
Attached Images
File Type: png ftwins.PNG (416.9 KB, 111 views)
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Rookie

skundy's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
There's even more in split offset than what you listed. There's 3 more plays (mtn stick, mtn spot, mtn qb draw) with the same automotion. There's also a triple option and a PA pass with the beginning of that automotion.

Shotgun F Twins Over is unquestionably the best formation for what you want. Some of the plays are options, but most aren't. There's 12 plays in it and all 12 of them have the left flanker coming in automotion. There's only about 2 slight variations of the automotion for the 12 plays.

The defense sees the automotion but when the ball's snapped tons of things can happen:
  1. Fake handoff (HO) to WR, screen to HB
  2. Fake HO to WR, HO to HB
  3. Inverted Veer with WR and QB
  4. Fake HO to WR, swing pass to same WR
  5. HO to WR to the right
  6. HO to WR for counter back to left
  7. HO to WR up the gut
  8. Fake HO to WR up the gut, screen to other WR
  9. Shovel option to the left
  10. triple option to the left
  11. triple option to the right
  12. fake HO to WR, QB keeper
I love both of these formations and I use them quite a bit. Wing Offset weak too. If I have success with a play I will no huddle and run different variations until they stop me.

-Know yourself-you win 50% of the time.
-Know your opponent-you win 50% of the time.
-Know yourself and your opponent- 100%Pwng
The Art of War- Sun Tzu

Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I also was wondering if using these plays and others like it (I'm mainly thinking different screens: WR, Bubbles, Screen FKS) consistently throughout the game is cheeseing? I'm not talking about literally every play but mix them in throughout most drives. I don't have time to play all the time and really just found them but they are really fun to me. I'm asking cause I'm considering joining an OD and don't wanna end up pissing people off using them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Rookie

skundy's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't think the WR screens and bubbles are cheese. Against man press they are not that good. I have had several picks and been picked off using them.

They are fun to use though and a lot of RL college teams have success with them.

-Know yourself-you win 50% of the time.
-Know your opponent-you win 50% of the time.
-Know yourself and your opponent- 100%Pwng
The Art of War- Sun Tzu

Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc0813
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I also was wondering if using these plays and others like it (I'm mainly thinking different screens: WR, Bubbles, Screen FKS) consistently throughout the game is cheeseing? I'm not talking about literally every play but mix them in throughout most drives. I don't have time to play all the time and really just found them but they are really fun to me. I'm asking cause I'm considering joining an OD and don't wanna end up pissing people off using them.
They are not cheese because they are very easy to stop. Just don't run the same play the whole game and you're fine.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Rookie

I agree with those who mentioned that the WR screens are pretty easy to stop. They are much more risk than reward, imo. In an OD game yesterday, I man pressed on two different occasions that the computer threw a WR screen. I picked off one for a TD and picked off the other for a good gain.

I also love the split back shotgun set of plays with one back in motion. Texas has 3 of those plays in its playbook, and I used the run twice to set up a big screen against an opponent in Ultimate Team yesterday.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »