Home

why cant they make a CFB game with generic/random players?

This is a discussion on why cant they make a CFB game with generic/random players? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: why cant they make a CFB game with generic/random players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo187
I think the original point is not that the teams, conferences, etc are generic but rather the players only are generic.

Basically every game you start randomly creates ratings and names based on the schools prestige and maybe play style.

Had EA Sports gone this route instead of playing the "this isn't really Tebow" route there would never have been an issue.

To be fair though EA was just doing what was common practice to get around the licensing issues.

I think if a company changed the focus from the latest on field trend to an immersive game that focuses in the pride and pageantry of game day it would be a success.
People don't want to play as "Pennsylvania State Beavers". They want to be Penn State. The Nittany Lions. No generic football game ever made ever sold well (ok, fair, lets say since NES days). Licensing is key to success.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Banned

CJ10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I wasn't thinking about only generic players. I was thinking about with generic players/teams/conferences.
That really shouldn't be an issue. For the most part all the schools give their consent to be used. The lawsuit was over "player likeness" being used in the game.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ10
That really shouldn't be an issue. For the most part all the schools give their consent to be used. The lawsuit was over "player likeness" being used in the game.
I know there's at least 4 conferences as well as the NCAA that couldn't be in it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...deo-games.html

And I'm pretty sure that I've heard of individual schools pulling out too. Perhaps that's wrong though.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Banned

CJ10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I know there's at least 4 conferences as well as the NCAA that couldn't be in it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...deo-games.html

And I'm pretty sure that I've heard of individual schools pulling out too. Perhaps that's wrong though.
ah ok, I didn't know about individual schools pulling out. the conferences, while disappointing, wouldn't be a huge deal. that would just have to deal with logos, championship trophies etc. all the stadiums and uniforms et all wouldn't be affected by that. now if the actual school pulls out that's a whole different story.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ10
ah ok, I didn't know about individual schools pulling out. the conferences, while disappointing, wouldn't be a huge deal. that would just have to deal with logos, championship trophies etc. all the stadiums and uniforms et all wouldn't be affected by that. now if the actual school pulls out that's a whole different story.
That's just hearsay though. I'm pretty sure that I've read that (and I wanna say Alabama was one school that was named) but I didn't look for proof so maybe I'm just pulling this out of my ***.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »