Home

EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

This is a discussion on EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #65

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: EA/CLC Settlement With O'Bannon Team Is $40 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
Way to live up to your name...wow
Using Texas A&M as an easy example since they're at the forefront of everyone's mind.

They were doing just as well before Johnny Football and they'll do just as well after.

I have yet to see one good argument for paying players and I haven't seen one good solution for ways that a player cans profit from his likeness without opening a whole new method of "dirty recruiting".

Edit: this has so many layers to it just saying "pay the players" is a non-argument that gets everyone nowhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 19
As a former D1 football player, the final life lesson I obtained my last semester as a non-athlete is that Post-secondary education is the greatest/most successful business model being used today.

That's why administrators make six-figure incomes (plus perks: ie houses, cars etc...), while the front-line workers (instructors) are paid a minimum of 50% less than them.

Walk into a bank as a non-student and ask for a $5000 personal loan and they'll look at you crazy.
Apply for a loan through the school as a student, and you get minimum $20,000 without question.

It's a business whether you're a student-athlete or a non-athlete, that uses a corporation business model "Top-Down" and is linked heavily in the Stock Markets.

What often is lost in the debate (athlete vs regular student) is that both are mediums used for profit.
Profits just come through them through different structures.

Another thought is if "Education" is the foundation to be considered, why/how does an independent corporation (NCAA) have so much power/influence over these educational institutions, when they have no application to the actual instructural aspect of teaching?
(ask any instructor how much or their compensation comes from/through the NCAA).

Again, it's a business and every participant in the system should be able to earn as much as possible in any way that's legal while in the system.

Lastly, many of these so-called "free" education analogies are actually funded by federal dollars called grants. Full ride scholarships went out the window about 25 yrs ago when universities/athletic dept's saw that they could take these grants and supplement the remainder cost with donations from donors/companies (which are big educational/charity tax write-offs) then revenues earned (allowing them to keep more).

We actually did a break-down of what an student-athlete actually is making on average per hour for the amount of hours that are put in over the course of a year based on the actual value of that scholarship (cost - grant - donations = revenue needed) that the athlete(s) must make.

On top of this is the fact that not all sports generate revenues, so the athletes in the money making sports are also carrying the burden of working/generating revenues for those athletes in non-revenue generating sports.
(how many non-athlete students can say that part of their sacrifice helps to pay another students education/athletic participation?)

It's not as cut-n-dry being a D1 Athlete as some think it is.

I'm glad this case has caused a more in-depth look into this aspect of how "Students" as a whole are abused/used for profits.

Video game wise, just create a football game with an in-depth "Editor" which will allow gamers/community to create these teams at no additional cost the to developer.
This is what they call a cost-savings in business, right?

Maybe this will force the next college football developer to focus on the actual simulation of the sport and not depend on the marketing name(s) of the NCAA/Colleges to sell the product.

There's good and bad on both sides, but after an entire generation of console were the actual simulated representation of the sport by one developer has been questioned/complained/argued, if this helps to break the stronghold of developement by one developer, I'm all for it.

Don't know what I would do without Xan's Editor with this game!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #67

ubernoob's Arena

How would these players feel if they were given the option?

All team and school rules would apply, there would be NO differentiating between players like this.

Option A: Full ride scholarship, everything stays as it is today.

Option B: You have to pay for school, be enrolled, maintain your GPA and everything else. You just get to profit from your likeness.

Again letting someone profit off their likeness, who's to say that all the boosters don't just pay insane amounts for autographs once they get to the school? Unless you guys think that's fine.

Honestly, I could not care less about the potential for recruiting abuse. I can just see plenty of people whining about that after championing players being able to profit.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 0
So, as expected, the greedy players will get a few hundred bucks for their trouble. Was it worth it?

The NCAA will never pay college athletes, ever. If they have to cut out TV. If they will have to shut down college athletics entirely, they will do it. Just listen to what Big 10 commissioner Delaney said yesterday. They are ready to start scaling back the exposure of college athletics and are prepared to do it severely if they have to. Paying players is the hill they are going to die on. It's the make or break issue for them. If college athletes are to be paid, then college athletics will not be worth it for them. They are serious about this. The university presidents are absolutely committed to this. If it means the literal end of collegiate sports as we know it, then so be it. They will pull the plug. They are ready to do it. They aren't bluffing.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
As a former D1 football player, the final life lesson I obtained my last semester as a non-athlete is that Post-secondary education is the greatest/most successful business model being used today.

That's why administrators make six-figure incomes (plus perks: ie houses, cars etc...), while the front-line workers (instructors) are paid a minimum of 50% less than them.

Walk into a bank as a non-student and ask for a $5000 personal loan and they'll look at you crazy.
Apply for a loan through the school as a student, and you get minimum $20,000 without question.

It's a business whether you're a student-athlete or a non-athlete, that uses a corporation business model "Top-Down" and is linked heavily in the Stock Markets.

What often is lost in the debate (athlete vs regular student) is that both are mediums used for profit.
Profits just come through them through different structures.

Another thought is if "Education" is the foundation to be considered, why/how does an independent corporation (NCAA) have so much power/influence over these educational institutions, when they have no application to the actual instructural aspect of teaching?
(ask any instructor how much or their compensation comes from/through the NCAA).

Again, it's a business and every participant in the system should be able to earn as much as possible in any way that's legal while in the system.

Lastly, many of these so-called "free" education analogies are actually funded by federal dollars called grants. Full ride scholarships went out the window about 25 yrs ago when universities/athletic dept's saw that they could take these grants and supplement the remainder cost with donations from donors/companies (which are big educational/charity tax write-offs) then revenues earned (allowing them to keep more).

We actually did a break-down of what an student-athlete actually is making on average per hour for the amount of hours that are put in over the course of a year based on the actual value of that scholarship (cost - grant - donations = revenue needed) that the athlete(s) must make.

On top of this is the fact that not all sports generate revenues, so the athletes in the money making sports are also carrying the burden of working/generating revenues for those athletes in non-revenue generating sports.
(how many non-athlete students can say that part of their sacrifice helps to pay another students education/athletic participation?)

It's not as cut-n-dry being a D1 Athlete as some think it is.

I'm glad this case has caused a more in-depth look into this aspect of how "Students" as a whole are abused/used for profits.

Video game wise, just create a football game with an in-depth "Editor" which will allow gamers/community to create these teams at no additional cost the to developer.
This is what they call a cost-savings in business, right?

Maybe this will force the next college football developer to focus on the actual simulation of the sport and not depend on the marketing name(s) of the NCAA/Colleges to sell the product.

There's good and bad on both sides, but after an entire generation of console were the actual simulated representation of the sport by one developer has been questioned/complained/argued, if this helps to break the stronghold of developement by one developer, I'm all for it.

Don't know what I would do without Xan's Editor with this game!!!
The only response that matters, in my opinion
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #70

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

I think in the next 10 years schools particularly the schools in the power conferences are just gonna leave the NCAA and form their own governing body. They will allow players to profit from their name and may even pay them. They dont need the NCAA to schedule a football game.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #71

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
I think in the next 10 years schools particularly the schools in the power conferences are just gonna leave the NCAA and form their own governing body. They will allow players to profit from their name and may even pay them. They dont need the NCAA to schedule a football game.
Um... The schools are the ones that don't want to pay them. That's money out of their pocket.

That's like people complaining when a commissioner of a pro league makes a decision benefiting owners at the players expense. The commish is voted on by the owners to work for the owners.

Last edited by ubernoob; 09-27-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #72
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

$320 per player... wow? That's just crazy that's what this was all over. I mean, I know its about alot more than that, the ability to market themselves etc. etc... but just seems crazy. I just dont know what to think about this whole situation anymore. All I know, it sucks we're not going to have a game next year, on next gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »