Home

DT at 3-4 DE drops STR rating

This is a discussion on DT at 3-4 DE drops STR rating within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: DT at 3-4 DE drops STR rating

Lets do the strength and speed thing, as an example, on a 100 point scale.
Lets take DT x and lets say that he has 99 str (using 99 since 100 isnt an option).
Now lets set the point scale relative to a one rep max in squat and bench.
Some of the top numbers in college football are 580 for bench and 750 for squat. So at a 99 str, that is where we will put DT X
So now we move him to de and he loses 1/3 his strength.
That would be equivelent to a 175 drop on his max bench and 225 lbs on his max squat!

Um..... yea, thats not going to happen.

Same with speed. Lets take a 99 speed WR and move him to DB or RB or somewhere that will lower his speed rating. (remember, we are talking straightline speed here, no reaction figured in). that is roughly equivelent to a 4.24 in ncaa 14.
We move him and his speed drops to an 89 (roughly 10% decline) now he is a 4.44 guy. Still fast... but 2 tenths slower straightline because he is a DB not a WR? No no no.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermagic88
Lets do the strength and speed thing, as an example, on a 100 point scale.
Lets take DT x and lets say that he has 99 str (using 99 since 100 isnt an option).
Now lets set the point scale relative to a one rep max in squat and bench.
Some of the top numbers in college football are 580 for bench and 750 for squat. So at a 99 str, that is where we will put DT X
So now we move him to de and he loses 1/3 his strength.
That would be equivelent to a 175 drop on his max bench and 225 lbs on his max squat!

Um..... yea, thats not going to happen.

Same with speed. Lets take a 99 speed WR and move him to DB or RB or somewhere that will lower his speed rating. (remember, we are talking straightline speed here, no reaction figured in). that is roughly equivelent to a 4.24 in ncaa 14.
We move him and his speed drops to an 89 (roughly 10% decline) now he is a 4.44 guy. Still fast... but 2 tenths slower straightline because he is a DB not a WR? No no no.
For what it's worth, speed doesn't take a hit playing WR/HB/QB as a DB and vice versa. Strength definitely does when moving someone to DL.

Otherwise, I totally agree. Raw physical abilities shouldn't change at all.

Come to think of it, awareness and maybe acceleration are the only things that should be changing. Awareness for obvious reasons, and acceleration because I'm not sure AWR will actually cause the kind of delayed reaction that would be expected of someone playing out of position.

The rest of it though? Those ratings should already be low for someone playing out of position, unless he was recruited as an athlete.

In the case of the athlete, it should've been a yearly derating. Using my WR/CB ATH example from earlier, it should've just derated the appropriate stats when I finalize his position (e.g. RTE, CAR, BTK, maybe SPM/JKM/SFA), and then possibly again between seasons. For every year he's a CB, pull off 10 points from RTE... unless he's actually getting reps at WR, then cut it something less than 10 based on how many receptions he had (or maybe even increase it).

It doesn't really matter anymore, but it would've been nice if they'd scaled the stats and balanced the game so the only stats that needed to be derated were awareness and maybe acceleration.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
Rookie

PittPens1787's Arena

OVR: 0

Is the ratings hit permanent? If I move the DT to DE and then back to DT (in the depth chart, not the Position Changes) will he have all his original stats?

Let's Go Bucs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPens1787
Is the ratings hit permanent? If I move the DT to DE and then back to DT (in the depth chart, not the Position Changes) will he have all his original stats?
If it is just a depth chart move then no, it is not permanent.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

OVR: 0

I also hate this and feel that the intangible ratings should be the only things affected. Speed, Jump, Strength, these shouldn't take a dent at all.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry
I also hate this and feel that the intangible ratings should be the only things affected. Speed, Jump, Strength, these shouldn't take a dent at all.
Ive never understood EA's logic with this. Its the same way with madden imports. I remember playing NCAA the year Chris Johnson was a Senior at ECU, very highly rated and great speed. I couldnt wait to send that to madden. However when he was imported over his speed was low 80's.... Doesnt make any since. I understand lowering it in this case maybe a couple points, because there would be a relative change in speed from college too pros with more players in the pros being fast, but not a massive drop in the ratings.

Anywho, back to NCAA 14, because of this, like i mentioned earlier, ive created my own house rules for when i change positions.
If a physical attribute changes dramatically, then i change it back, no higher than what it was before.

This lead me too think of something else. Does the CPU even change positions of players? And if they do, on what logic do they make the moves.
Im kinda wanting to track a few teams in my current dynasty once the offseason rolls around.

I think ill take maybe one team from each conference, copy down their roster at the end of the season, and then see how it compares at the beginning of the next season.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermagic88
Ive never understood EA's logic with this. Its the same way with madden imports. I remember playing NCAA the year Chris Johnson was a Senior at ECU, very highly rated and great speed. I couldnt wait to send that to madden. However when he was imported over his speed was low 80's.... Doesnt make any since. I understand lowering it in this case maybe a couple points, because there would be a relative change in speed from college too pros with more players in the pros being fast, but not a massive drop in the ratings.

Anywho, back to NCAA 14, because of this, like i mentioned earlier, ive created my own house rules for when i change positions.
If a physical attribute changes dramatically, then i change it back, no higher than what it was before.

This lead me too think of something else. Does the CPU even change positions of players? And if they do, on what logic do they make the moves.
Im kinda wanting to track a few teams in my current dynasty once the offseason rolls around.

I think ill take maybe one team from each conference, copy down their roster at the end of the season, and then see how it compares at the beginning of the next season.
I'm guessing the probably won't be moving any existing position players, since that rarely works out, but they'll have to assign positions for all their recruited ATH players, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Rookie

cbc72's Arena

Think of it this way.

You have track speed and game speed. Everyone accepts that those are different things.

You also have weight room strength and game strength.

Playing out of position will affect technique.

Not having proper technique will affect game strength. Especially on the O and D Line.

Pad level, placement of hands, footwork - all of those things are techniques that are different for different spots on the line and all will affect game strength.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »