Home

Lawyers Never Wanted to Sack the EA Sports College Football Series

This is a discussion on Lawyers Never Wanted to Sack the EA Sports College Football Series within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Lawyers Never Wanted to Sack the EA Sports College Football Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyBoi7
I'm pretty this has been suggested...by why doesn't EA just assign random numbers and skin tones to players...I mean the players might not have names, but we all know who #2 for Texas A&M is

That seems like real easy solution
From what I understand, there are conferences and teams that won't allow themselves to be put in the game anymore because of the lawsuite. So if they were to put out a game, the teams would be like in the original Bill Walsh college football where the teams were South Bend, Tallahassee, etc
Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #74
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyBoi7
I'm pretty this has been suggested(haven't had a chance to read through yet)...by why doesn't EA just assign random numbers and skin tones to players...I mean the players might not have names, but we all know who #2 for Texas A&M is

That seems like real easy solution
While I agree with you, there are two reasons it won't happen.

1) 126 teams x 75 players per team = 9450 chances the randomly generated player resembles his real-life counterpart enough to claim resemblance. What a company would have to do while making a college football game is edit each individual player to be intentionally different from that actual player in real life. Which is as much work as making the players mildly similar to the real-life versions. However, this won't happen either, because...

2) EA already screwed it up for everybody. They couldn't get it right, and it cost them a lawsuit and the licensing. Now NCAA, the conferences and the teams won't want to let anybody use their names or logos for fear of this happening again.

The only hope for a future game is if some sort of deal gets worked out in regards to paying/not paying student athletes. There's a chance, for both possible outcomes, that the NCAA and it's conferences allow licensing again, but not until that issue is fully squared away. Which could take years.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #75
Rookie

Forestman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefrog
While I agree with you, there are two reasons it won't happen.

1) 126 teams x 75 players per team = 9450 chances the randomly generated player resembles his real-life counterpart enough to claim resemblance. What a company would have to do while making a college football game is edit each individual player to be intentionally different from that actual player in real life. Which is as much work as making the players mildly similar to the real-life versions. However, this won't happen either, because...

2) EA already screwed it up for everybody. They couldn't get it right, and it cost them a lawsuit and the licensing. Now NCAA, the conferences and the teams won't want to let anybody use their names or logos for fear of this happening again.

The only hope for a future game is if some sort of deal gets worked out in regards to paying/not paying student athletes. There's a chance, for both possible outcomes, that the NCAA and it's conferences allow licensing again, but not until that issue is fully squared away. Which could take years.
Years......

I sure hope it doesn't take years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #76
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestman
Years......

I sure hope it doesn't take years.
It will happen around the same time the Washington Redskins have to change their name.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
I totally disagree with this because after a couple of seasons you have new players on your team anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Did you or anyone you know buy an NCAA game based on a back-of-the-box advertisement for "Completely randomized and/or scripted-but-not-at-all-based-on-real players starting with the first offseason"? Would you?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #78
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountCleric
Did you or anyone you know buy an NCAA game based on a back-of-the-box advertisement for "Completely randomized and/or scripted-but-not-at-all-based-on-real players starting with the first offseason"? Would you?
At the time? No. In light of everything that's happened? If I could play as the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the Big Ten conference and compete to play in the Rose Bowl in Pasedena....well, then I'd be okay with every player being modeled after Cory Feldman.

The times, they are a-changin'
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #79
Rookie

cdh72469's Arena

OVR: 5
That is lawyer-speak. Of course the bloodsuckers never "intended" for this to happen. This falls into the category of unintended consequences. Just like all the lawyers serving in political office, most of the laws they write and pass always have these unintended consequences. Hmmm...lawyers writing laws, seems like a conflict of interest. That's a discussion all its own and not here.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #80
Rookie

cdh72469's Arena

OVR: 5
One more thing, in these suits the only winners are always the lawyers. I mean the tobacco suit and settlement was never about smoking, health, etc. It was about making the lawyers for the plaintiffs lottery winners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »