Home

Anybody ever have true defensive struggle games?

This is a discussion on Anybody ever have true defensive struggle games? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anybody ever have true defensive struggle games?

-Not necessarily low-scoring. CFB is conducive to high scores, both virtual and real life.
-Not necessarily a close game. 31-0 win seems like a complete blowout, but it could've been a struggle depending how those 5 scores were spread thoughout 4 qtrs.
-Not a slow, ball control game where teams ate too much clock to have a lot of scores

I mean at the end you felt BOTH user/cpu defenses played better than the offenses. Anybody get these games consistently or often?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Anybody ever have true defensive struggle games?

Had one earlier tonight. Oregon vs Washington (believe it or not). It was raining and there were 6 total turnovers won 24-20 but went into the 4th down 20-17 also there were 3 missed field goals between the 2 teams. I swear all the turnovers were in the Red zone, neither team could punch it in.

Sent from my HTC ONE using tapatalk Pro!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

Rosters with efficient offenses (typical) are not conducive to lower scoring games. I have lowered critical offensive player ratings and raised critical defensive players ratings to produce lower-scoring games. I use the editors to make these changes. I save these edited rosters and use them when I want a defensive struggle.

College football today is a higher-scoring game, but I think that "three yards and a cloud of dust" games are fun to play, so I keep both kinds of rosters available.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

My last three games have been like this, and I even play 10-min qtrs.

Beat Penn State 24-0 (was 10-0 after three).
Lost to MSU 21-14.
Was beating Nebraska 17-0 in third quarter of my last game before it froze, and I had just scored a defensive TD, so only 10 points of offense for me and none for them after a good 25 minutes of gametime.

The basic formula for these sorts of games is that user rush-defense and user rush-offense both need to be hard, while user pass-defense needs to be pretty easy. User passing game needs to be easy enough so you're not getting sacked 8 times and throwing five picks, but needs to be hard enough that you can't just abandon the run.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Rookie

RDMercer's Arena

OVR: 4

Yeah I've had a mix of high scoring games and low scoring battles...Recently in my dynasty I've had some great low scoring games where defense made a few big plays, a pick 6 or a turnover of some kind... Don't know if it's because I changed conferences in my dynasty but I can't argue the numbers...The conference I'm in now is playing better overall D, which they should because they're more talented teams than the conference I just left... BUT...I could just be me going through my learning curve of playing against better teams... ok ramble over...lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

I just had a defensive battle with Syracuse playing Wake Forest. As Syracuse I was coming off a 3 game losing streak and was 0-3 in conference play. After a bye week I was hosting Wake Forest.

It was a really tough matchup. The score was 9-3 (Syracuse leading) going into the 4th when Wake Forest finally put together a good drive but I intercepted the ball inside the 20 yard line. With some strong running I put together a drive and scored another FG to make it 12-3 with about 2mins left.

Wake Forest then went into a bit of a panic and on the next kick off they made a couple of passes but I had another interception on a 4th and 14 with about 40 seconds left and returned it to the 1 yard line. After that I punched in a 1 yard run for a TD and a 2-point conversion for a comfortable 20-3 win.

But until that last play it was really quite a tough and enjoyable game.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Rookie

big09's Arena

OVR: 0

Defense???? What is that? I haven't been able to stop anybody. OD with Wyoming on heisman and have only forced two punts in 5 games.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Year 1 in my Miami Hurricanes dynasty against Florida State in the rain. Both defenses were showing up. Ultimately a screen pass from Stephen Morris to Duke Johnson that went for a long TD won me the game. I think the final score was somewhere around 17-10. I loved it because it reminded me of the hard fought games in the early/mid 2000s when both Florida State and Miami were near the top every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »