Home

why do my wr's not turn up field after catching a screen pass?

This is a discussion on why do my wr's not turn up field after catching a screen pass? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: why do my wr's not turn up field after catching a screen pass?

I've had this issue as well, and have done a couple things to alleviate the problem:

1) Make sure the QB is planted and not throwing off his back foot, which can be tricky on a screen, especially if your linemen are letting defenders through to get downfield for a block. If the QB is backpedaling when he throws, the throw is more likely to be off target, and the receiver will have to adjust (this is easy stuff that you probably know already, but hey, maybe you don't).

2) Upon catching the ball, let the CPU control the receiver for a second or two (hold X on PS3, I'm assuming A on 360). Could be the AI was planning to cut inside after the catch, and had started making adjustments to do so. Then, when you user-control him upon catch, you decide to take him outside instead. So you end up with an awkward juke that kills your speed and momentum, and leaves you facing in a bad direction. Letting the CPU take that first step or two seems to help, though this is still an EA game, so it's far from a guarantee.

3) This is the most successful way I've found to fix this bug. Don't run bubble or comeback screens. The only WR screen I run anymore is the Mid, where the linemen will go downfield and your WR catches the ball in stride behind them, past the line of scrimmage. I've had way too many issues with the other WR screens being faulty, but due to poor programming of how the play works, and not because the play got busted by the defense.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

It may depend on your QB accuracy, I suppose. One other thought: do you have your catching strategy set to conservative? It could be you're getting hung up because of that.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

I was having this problem as well, but as of late not so much.... I don't pull the acceleration burst until my player turns up field this has helped me dramatically!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Banned

CJ10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesloth
It may depend on your QB accuracy, I suppose. One other thought: do you have your catching strategy set to conservative? It could be you're getting hung up because of that.
Where do I find catching strategy at?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

I ran about 50 different screens in practice in a row and either I just stink at them, or the CPU is just awful at the setup and execution of screens this year on the blocking.

I had about 20 wrapped up for a loss.
I had about 20 for no gain or no more than a yard.
I had about 6-7 that gained 2-5 yards.
I had about 3-4 that gained 5+ yards. Only one went for a gain of 10.

I remember NCAA '12 seemed like the year of the screen pass to me. I had a lot of success with it.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry
I ran about 50 different screens in practice in a row and either I just stink at them, or the CPU is just awful at the setup and execution of screens this year on the blocking.

I had about 20 wrapped up for a loss.
I had about 20 for no gain or no more than a yard.
I had about 6-7 that gained 2-5 yards.
I had about 3-4 that gained 5+ yards. Only one went for a gain of 10.

I remember NCAA '12 seemed like the year of the screen pass to me. I had a lot of success with it.
I believe you. The WR screens definitely seem underpowered this year. The key to utilizing them is the pre-snap read. I think I would have the same results you had if I just ran them straight in practice mode. You should always be prepared to audible out of your called screen. My personal experience with WR screens this year:

- Haven't been able to figure out the pre-snap read for the middle screen, so I don't run it often. Can't really comment.

- For the outside screen (the long hand-off kind), there are two situations in which I don't audible out of it: a) the CB is playing soft, b) the main blocker (usually slot guy) is covered by a safety and the CB on the wideout is not pressing. I usually get 4-5 yrds in this scenario.

- For the bubble screen, I audible out if the DB on the slot man is playing press. If the slot is covered by a safety or LB, I'm happy. I get 6-8 yrds on this with the proper read, and it's become a part of my inside their 10 offense. Unfortunately I throw a pick six every 15 or so attempts :-\
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
MVP

mjavon's Arena

I think this happens because the play develops more slowly than it should. That is, you're running a screen play expecting to snap and throw right away (because that's how screens are run in real life, and that's how they SHOULD work), but if you do that, the receiver hasn't finished his screen "route" and is still moving when your QB releases the ball, so he leads the moving receiver instead of putting it right on him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Rookie

longball5187's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
I think this happens because the play develops more slowly than it should. That is, you're running a screen play expecting to snap and throw right away (because that's how screens are run in real life, and that's how they SHOULD work), but if you do that, the receiver hasn't finished his screen "route" and is still moving when your QB releases the ball, so he leads the moving receiver instead of putting it right on him.
This is what I've found, too. On the outside screen play to the WR, he is coming toward the QB. You have to wait for him (about a second or half second), then throw. At that point, you'll be able to cut where you want instead of being taken inside or slowly trying to cut. Be careful though, if they are in man or cover 2, it gives the coverage or flat defender time to jump the route.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »