Home

why is this happening?

This is a discussion on why is this happening? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Banned

CJ10's Arena

OVR: 0
why is this happening?

All American difficulty, run block slider set at 100, AI rush D set at 0, yet Im getting ZERO room to run. the Dline is getting off their blocks immediately, I have guys running past they guy they are supposed to block to block a DB 20 yards upfield. I have a 99 OVR rated todd gurley avging 3 or less ypc over the last few games (I was playing on varsity, but was too easy). what gives?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: why is this happening?

I believe the run block and run defense sliders have very little to so with how blocks are shed but more so how aggressively blockers and defenders play on run plays. Sliders in madden and NCAA this year are just way weird. I also think lowering anything to zero or raising anything to 100 is a bad idea with this flawed programming.

I would set CPU run d to 50-60 and lower user run block to 10. See how that feels and adjust from there.

Sliders this year seem to affect behavior and tendencies more so than typical performance

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I never changed any of those sliders and have had very realistic running game in my 10+ seasons of dynasty playing on all american
Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Banned

CJ10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I never changed any of those sliders and have had very realistic running game in my 10+ seasons of dynasty playing on all american
so you left them all at 50? what about the RB ability slider?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I play on All American and left every slider at 50 except QB accuracy, which is at 5. I even left the penalties at 50. Messing with the sliders just screws up the game for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 20

See, this is my problem with this forum and even sports gamers in general: why is your first inclination to assume the answer is anything other than you? Your timing: stiff-arm, juke, spin, truck, dive, sprint - are you hitting the right buttons at the right time when the opportunity presents itself? Your vision: where are you looking? Are you looking at the OL (defense and RB in peripheral), the RB (defense and OL in peripheral), or the defense (OL & RB in peripheral)? Are you sure you're seeing what's happening? Are you controlling the QB during the handoff? Don't just hit hike and let the CPU do the work, hit hike and pull the QB down towards the back (even hold R2 or L2 or both while you're doing this) and stuff the rock into the RB's stomach. Are you making presnap adjustments your blocking scheme based on what the defense is showing? I mean I could go on and on here.

My advice for getting the ground-game going (I play on AA with AI run-defense slider maxed, by the way) is to focus on the OL. Pick out one or two guys you want to run behind (LT & LG for example) and watch them (literally look at them and the defenders they might have to engage and not the QB, RB or anyone else on D) while you attempt to execute the play and make your early read off what happens to in that specific area. Do this several times in a row, ideally until the two OL you're focusing on both get hot. Once they're nice and red, move your attention to the other side of the line and get them going.

Or, take the other approach: do what a real team would do if they were having problems running the ball: screens and short passes on 1st and 2nd and save running for 3rd and short. Pick up a few first downs with your boy Gurley to try to get him hot. Next thing you know he's got five carries for four first downs and a TD. Who cares what his ypc is at that point, yeah?

Etc.

Stop blaming the damn game for everything, look in the mirrior and play with intensity, focus, determination and for god's sake don't take it too seriously. So what if you can't run the ball. Like you've never followed a team that can't run the ball worth a lick. It happens all the time, even to really good teams. The game will reward you if you play with patience and intelligence.

Last thing: I make it something of a rule not to play this game unless I've watched some real college ball for a good hour or three first. Really helps with making reads, pacing yourself, and tempering expectations as to what most running plays actually look like.

Cheers.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Banned

CJ10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
See, this is my problem with this forum and even sports gamers in general: why is your first inclination to assume the answer is anything other than you? Your timing: stiff-arm, juke, spin, truck, dive, sprint - are you hitting the right buttons at the right time when the opportunity presents itself? Your vision: where are you looking? Are you looking at the OL (defense and RB in peripheral), the RB (defense and OL in peripheral), or the defense (OL & RB in peripheral)? Are you sure you're seeing what's happening? Are you controlling the QB during the handoff? Don't just hit hike and let the CPU do the work, hit hike and pull the QB down towards the back (even hold R2 or L2 or both while you're doing this) and stuff the rock into the RB's stomach. Are you making presnap adjustments your blocking scheme based on what the defense is showing? I mean I could go on and on here.

My advice for getting the ground-game going (I play on AA with AI run-defense slider maxed, by the way) is to focus on the OL. Pick out one or two guys you want to run behind (LT & LG for example) and watch them (literally look at them and the defenders they might have to engage and not the QB, RB or anyone else on D) while you attempt to execute the play and make your early read off what happens to in that specific area. Do this several times in a row, ideally until the two OL you're focusing on both get hot. Once they're nice and red, move your attention to the other side of the line and get them going.

Or, take the other approach: do what a real team would do if they were having problems running the ball: screens and short passes on 1st and 2nd and save running for 3rd and short. Pick up a few first downs with your boy Gurley to try to get him hot. Next thing you know he's got five carries for four first downs and a TD. Who cares what his ypc is at that point, yeah?

Etc.

Stop blaming the damn game for everything, look in the mirrior and play with intensity, focus, determination and for god's sake don't take it too seriously. So what if you can't run the ball. Like you've never followed a team that can't run the ball worth a lick. It happens all the time, even to really good teams. The game will reward you if you play with patience and intelligence.

Last thing: I make it something of a rule not to play this game unless I've watched some real college ball for a good hour or three first. Really helps with making reads, pacing yourself, and tempering expectations as to what most running plays actually look like.

Cheers.
Stop trying to make it like its NOT the game. If I was having the same trouble on varisty with the sliders in the CPU's favor then I could see it may be a problem, but when I run a hb dive and I see the one and only hole the line makes on a hb dive and I hit it only to see the defender automatically slide out of his block to make the tackle EVERY time, that's not football, that's the CPU being super human. Crappy defenses don't just shut down elite runners. I guess Ill just go back to varsity and crank the sliders a little more to the CPU at least then Ill get some semblance of real play.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Rookie

The biggest key I've found to running the ball is not hitting the sprint button right away. It seems that hitting sprint in this game causing the O-Line to disengage their blocks and head downfield, which means if you hit it right away it lets the defense into the backfield. Instead, wait until you're into the hole and then turn the jets on. You need to give your line time to solidify their blocks.

Mix up your play calling too. Come out on first down in a run formation and throw out of it. Come out in the shotgun and run. Mix up man and zone, sweeps, option plays. Rotate your running backs too. Get the fresh guy the ball. Use formation subs to get your third back in there too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »