Home

Pros and cons of ncaa 14 coach mode

This is a discussion on Pros and cons of ncaa 14 coach mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15
Pros and cons of ncaa 14 coach mode

Just wondering from those of you that play this years coach mode what is good and bad about in this years game. I plan on buying it and playing I just want to jibe what to expect. Thanks in advance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Pros and cons of ncaa 14 coach mode

I only play coach mode and with a good set of sliders I really can't fault it. I'm probably not the best to ask because I've never really played with user control (since I'm not very good) but what I enjoy most about coach mode is the lack of control you have over your players.
For example, I just lost a rivalry game. My team has a weak defense so I was nervous when I handed the ball back to West Virginia with about 2 mins left. I watch helplessly, even though I was making conservative play calls, as they marched down and scored. Coaching this was awesome as I couldn't do anything except watch. They took a 4 point lead with around 30 seconds left.
On the next kick off my return guy broke free and had one guy to beat but unfortunately they made a desperation tackle and got him down at the opponents 48 yard line. Again, with coach mode all I could do was yell for him to run and go-go-go!
Finally, my QB who was having a pretty average game connects with the TE for a 17 yard gain to put me around 30 yards out with 22 seconds and 2 time outs left. Next play I watch in horror as he throws an interception and loses the game.

That's the power of coach mode. There may be flaws and stuff that doesn't happen 100% right. But being hands off and watching situations and events unfold is beyond compare IMO.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I love coach mode, I think it's the best way to play. In coach mode you get to see what your players can really do. You really get to see how good your recruits are and if they can really play. Like @tarek was just saying, all you can do is sit and watch and hope your guys can pull it out.

My first game of the season against Penn State I was down by 1 or 2 with 30 seconds to go and my QB throws a TD pass to win the game. The last game I played against Georgia Tech in the ACC Championship game I'm down by 4 and Tech is running out the clock with like 20 seconds to go. Instead of taking a knee and winning they run their triple option and my safety grabs the pitch in mid air and runs 84 yards to win the game for me.

That's the excitement you get from coach mode. To me ratings of the players become a bigger factor in coach mode then if you are controlling the players. There is pros and cons know matter how you play. Like one bad thing that happens from time to time in coach mode is, you will have like a 3rd and 1 and call a HB dive play and instead of your guy stuffing it in there and getting the yard he will try to cut it back outside and get tackled for a lose. Doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.

As for sliders, I tried lots of them and didn't like any of them. So I just put it on All American and left everything at 50 except passing accuracy which I moved to 5. Even penalties I left at 50(because they don't work right anyways). In fact I've seen 3 pass interference calls and 1 was against the offense with these settings. Just try different sliders until you find a set you like, and don't be afraid to adjust them to your liking.

Good luck and enjoy, this game is fun.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Here are a couple of cons for coach mode which man or may not be specific to me.

1. I don't like the camera angle. I prefer to see the view from the end zone. You can get this view by doing what I think is referred to as "old school coach mode" by selecting your team, turning on auto pass and only ever pushing "A" to hike the ball and never do anything else. This wouldn't work for me though because I'm a spread option guy so you can't ever give on handoffs because the game doesn't know that I'm playing pseudo-coach mode so it needs me to hit A again for the give.

2. Being a spread option guy, all of my QBs are scramblers. Scramblers are GOD AWFUL in coach mode as anytime you try to pass they'll scramble at the drop of a hat. It's beyond infuriating to have your QB constantly scrambling, even when he has plenty of time to pass the ball.

I think that I would really, REALLY like coach mode, but I would never be able to get past #2. Even a completely 1 dimensional QB like Denard Robinson stayed in the pocket on passing plays and got off the pass far more often then he scrambled and took off (yes he ran a ton on designed runs, but on designed passes he threw the ball FAR more often than he ran it). You can't get this with scramblers in coach mode and since I call a lot of options and designed QB runs I need scramblers to make my offense go.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Pro

herropreese's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
I only play coach mode and with a good set of sliders I really can't fault it. I'm probably not the best to ask because I've never really played with user control (since I'm not very good) but what I enjoy most about coach mode is the lack of control you have over your players.
For example, I just lost a rivalry game. My team has a weak defense so I was nervous when I handed the ball back to West Virginia with about 2 mins left. I watch helplessly, even though I was making conservative play calls, as they marched down and scored. Coaching this was awesome as I couldn't do anything except watch. They took a 4 point lead with around 30 seconds left.
On the next kick off my return guy broke free and had one guy to beat but unfortunately they made a desperation tackle and got him down at the opponents 48 yard line. Again, with coach mode all I could do was yell for him to run and go-go-go!
Finally, my QB who was having a pretty average game connects with the TE for a 17 yard gain to put me around 30 yards out with 22 seconds and 2 time outs left. Next play I watch in horror as he throws an interception and loses the game.

That's the power of coach mode. There may be flaws and stuff that doesn't happen 100% right. But being hands off and watching situations and events unfold is beyond compare IMO.
Are your sliders posted anywhere?

Me and three other guys get together every few weeks and to 2v2 coach mode. It is a blast. We get all kinds of games result wise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by herropreese
Are your sliders posted anywhere?

Me and three other guys get together every few weeks and to 2v2 coach mode. It is a blast. We get all kinds of games result wise.
I just went to the sliders page here on OS and picked a slider set. Didn't make my own, don't really have the time for testing and refinement.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
I just went to the sliders page here on OS and picked a slider set. Didn't make my own, don't really have the time for testing and refinement.
Do you know which ones you are using?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15

How's the option game. I heard it's overpowered especially the read option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »